Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Frum Slang
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:06 pm
Sometimes, I will see a phrase that makes no sense whatsoever to me. Then I will see it again. And again. And realize that it is a Jew-ism.

So, what is your favorite Jew-ism.

My pick of the day is "my house if flying." I don't know what it means. I'm not sure I want to know what it means. But I'm pretty sure that the only people who have ever said it are Dorothy Gale and Jews.

Last edited by SixOfWands on Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

octopus

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:10 pm
I don't know where you come from but jew-isms sounds offensive to me. Like we don't know how to talk or something. Do you say black-isms? Anyway, yiddishisms really exist. And while that would translate exactly into "jew-isms" , the connotation feels different because its being translated from a different language.

hodeez

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:13 pm
The word nerdy. I hate that word. For others it means a dork who wears thick glasses and likes anime. For Jews it's a kid who wears 2017 styles in 2018...hate it.

MiriFr

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:16 pm
"Makes me so nervous"
"I'm staying by _____"

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:20 pm
octopus wrote:
I don't know where you come from but jew-isms sounds offensive to me. Like we don't know how to talk or something. Do you say black-isms? Anyway, yiddishisms really exist. And while that would translate exactly into "jew-isms" , the connotation feels different because its being translated from a different language.

I wouldn't because I'm not black.

Its not a Yiddishism, because I don't think that its a translation error, which is what a Yiddishism is AIUI.

I mean no offense, and would gladly change the term if someone comes up with a better one.

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:22 pm
I've never heard anyone else say "calling for" meals other than with shabbat invitations. As in "what time are you calling lunch for?" or "we're calling dinner for 8pm."

I think the title is fine Smile It's a dialect.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:24 pm
Nursing clean.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:25 pm
"Getting bageled". This one is Yeshivish. When you can identify a Jew by something that the average non Jew would not notice.

"My last name is Andrews, and I'm a blond, but as soon as he heard that I worked at Max's Deli he totally bageled me."

Another one is speaking English, but throwing in "mamash" the way girls in California throw in "like, totally!" This is almost exclusively a girl thing.

Reality

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:25 pm
octopus wrote:

I agree!

How about frum slang?

lilies

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:27 pm
Reality wrote:
I agree!

How about frum slang?

Frum-ism?
Krum-ism?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:29 pm
In Hebrew, slang words are called "b'rechov", which means "on the street".

IDF soldiers have an entire vocabulary of b'rechov all their own. You'll never get it if you haven't been there, so don't even try. Besides, you'll just look like a nebby poser.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:52 pm
Reality wrote:
I agree!

How about frum slang?

Like it. And done. Thanks

SuperWify

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:05 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Nursing clean.

You beat me to it.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:07 pm
I once worked in a chasidish day camp were English was not the first language. It was so cute when the girls would say in the pool, “counselor, make me a ride!”

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:12 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
I've never heard anyone else say "calling for" meals other than with shabbat invitations. As in "what time are you calling lunch for?" or "we're calling dinner for 8pm."

I think the title is fine Smile It's a dialect.

I have seen this plenty in the non-Jewish world - “the wedding is called for 8:00” or “it was called for 3:00, but we were late.”

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:15 pm
Characterizing many different things as “top”.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:16 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Sometimes, I will see a phrase that makes no sense whatsoever to me. Then I will see it again. And again. And realize that it is a Jew-ism.

So, what is your favorite Jew-ism.

My pick of the day is "my house if flying." I don't know what it means. I'm not sure I want to know what it means. But I'm pretty sure that the only people who have ever said it are Dorothy Gale and Jews.

Yes. I’m assuming it means really messy and kids being wild?

Also, calling kids delicious and yummy.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:22 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

Also, calling kids delicious and yummy.

I think that's more an under-35-ism. And it makes me think of cannibals.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:40 pm
Are these frum things: Legit, heaven, it's not his/her type to?

sushilover

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:55 pm
Shmoiling

Hold of, hold with. I know it's a perfectly valid word, but I've only heard it used by frum people.

By the way, I hope this doesn't cause anyone to feel self conscious about the words they use. Slangs, dialects, and accents are beautiful! It would be a very colorless world indeed if we all sounded like white, upper class news broadcasters.
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics