Home

Please help with Pilot trip this summer with kids

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries and Aliyah Questions


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Feb 27 2020, 6:11 pm
Hi.
I'm hoping to do a pilot trip in August and give my kids a feel of living in Israel so we can take the appropriate steps towards Aliyah.
We want to be based mainly in Yerushalayim and a little bit in Tzfat.
Can anyone direct me where to start looking for an apt/house for 2-4 weeks in Yerushalayim.
Also, what I'm looking for if it even exists:
An English speaking daycamp in Yerushalayim, for girls ages 6 to 13. They know Yiddish, a little Hebrew. But first language is English.

More about us if relevant: We are Chassidish/Heimish. My children are in Chassidish/BY school.

Thanks so much!
Back to top

Rappel




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Feb 27 2020, 7:51 pm
Ooh, congratulations!

I'm glad I saw your post. I don't have the contacts you need in Yerushalayim, but I just want to wish you hatzlacha! Hopefully the other israelis will comment come morning. Smile
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:18 pm
Thanks Rappel. I actually wasn't expecting a response yet due to the time difference. So it was nice to see your response! I didn't want to push off posting because then I'd forget and I want to take care of this asap.
Back to top

Rappel




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Feb 28 2020, 3:39 am
Bump. Anyone connected to the Yerushalmi Anglo community?
Back to top

banana123




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Feb 28 2020, 4:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi.
I'm hoping to do a pilot trip in August and give my kids a feel of living in Israel so we can take the appropriate steps towards Aliyah.
We want to be based mainly in Yerushalayim and a little bit in Tzfat.
Can anyone direct me where to start looking for an apt/house for 2-4 weeks in Yerushalayim.
Also, what I'm looking for if it even exists:
An English speaking daycamp in Yerushalayim, for girls ages 6 to 13. They know Yiddish, a little Hebrew. But first language is English.

More about us if relevant: We are Chassidish/Heimish. My children are in Chassidish/BY school.

Thanks so much!

The day camp is going to be tough. Even if such things exist in July, in August there is almost nothing. If anything, you should look for a camp geared towards girls visiting from chul. But that's not going to help your girls acclimate.

Apartment or house: Air BnB, Yad 2, Facebook house swap groups, Janglo. If you are seriously looking into this as a pilot trip and not a chutznik vacation, I would strongly suggest researching specific neighborhoods and finding a place to stay there, specifically. Then you can go to shul, take your kids to the community center (called a matnas - most of them have some kind of family activities, but not summer camp, in August), parks, etc. and get to know the community and see whether you like it.

Tzfat is going to be a lot cheaper to live in than Yerushalayim, so if you can find a job near there, I would suggest you go for that instead. Otherwise you may end up complaining of the high cost of living while you struggle with acclimation. Smile
Back to top

banana123




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Feb 28 2020, 4:09 am
Rappel wrote:
Bump. Anyone connected to the Yerushalmi Anglo community?

Ha, no, but Chabad of Rechavia should be able to help.
Back to top

Rappel




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Feb 28 2020, 4:56 am
banana123 wrote:
The day camp is going to be tough. Even if such things exist in July, in August there is almost nothing. If anything, you should look for a camp geared towards girls visiting from chul. But that's not going to help your girls acclimate.

Apartment or house: Air BnB, Yad 2, Facebook house swap groups, Janglo. If you are seriously looking into this as a pilot trip and not a chutznik vacation, I would strongly suggest researching specific neighborhoods and finding a place to stay there, specifically. Then you can go to shul, take your kids to the community center (called a matnas - most of them have some kind of family activities, but not summer camp, in August), parks, etc. and get to know the community and see whether you like it.



I'm surprised. I thought for sure chutznik neighbourhoods would have day camps. Just goes to show. Smile

OP, as others mentioned, in Israel August is vacation month, and the country grinds to a standstill. Individual kehillot and shuls run frequent activities for families/kids. Many people go away/traveling for a week or two at a time then, so there aren't many Israeli camps (any, that I know of).

Where I live (Itamar, in the Shomron), just about everyone signs up for the pool in Elon Moreh, and we get a summer calendar from the municipality of all the family activities which will be going on in the area, and that's what we do for the summer. I'm sure there's something similar for every neighborhood of Yerushalayim and Tsfat, as well as the municipal activities.

Once you pick what neighborhood you want to visit, getting an apartment there for the summer should be easy . You'll want to have some connections in the local kehillah ahead of time, so they can introduce you to people and you don't miss everyone coming and going during vacation time.

Quote:
Tzfat is going to be a lot cheaper to live in than Yerushalayim, so if you can find a job near there, I would suggest you go for that instead. Otherwise you may end up complaining of the high cost of living while you struggle with acclimation. Smile


Tsfat and Yerushalayim are hugely different: culturally, location-wise, economically, educationally etc. I like OP's idea of spending a few weeks in each - she'll hopefully get to know the people and the place somewhat, and have a better idea how she wants to proceed.
Back to top

DrMom




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Feb 28 2020, 5:39 am
You may want to ask here about daycamps, although there is very little in August, esp the last half.

www.janglo.net

If you are going to be here for 2-4 months, you should use the opportunity to check out potential communities, explore job options, establish contacts, etc.
Back to top

amother




Babypink
 

Post  Fri, Feb 28 2020, 6:35 am
There are definitely day camps in yerushalayim in August, for English speaking girls. I know of 3 off hand, but they don't advertise until around shavuos time. They're geared towards kids of American parents who live here year round in heavily Anglo areas such as ramat eshkol, har nof and romema areas. The names I can remember off hand are Bnos Leah, Yachad, and Shevach. I don't have any contact info but if you want I can look out in May June time for advertisements.
Bnos Leah has a heimishe type crowd, the others are more yeshivish.
Back to top

shanarishona




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Feb 28 2020, 8:55 am
Nefesh bnefesh?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Feb 28 2020, 1:13 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
There are definitely day camps in yerushalayim in August, for English speaking girls. I know of 3 off hand, but they don't advertise until around shavuos time. They're geared towards kids of American parents who live here year round in heavily Anglo areas such as ramat eshkol, har nof and romema areas. The names I can remember off hand are Bnos Leah, Yachad, and Shevach. I don't have any contact info but if you want I can look out in May June time for advertisements.
Bnos Leah has a heimishe type crowd, the others are more yeshivish.


Thanks so much.
If you spot any of these ads and remember to let me know that is super helpful.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Feb 28 2020, 1:21 pm
banana123 wrote:
The day camp is going to be tough. Even if such things exist in July, in August there is almost nothing. If anything, you should look for a camp geared towards girls visiting from chul. But that's not going to help your girls acclimate.

Apartment or house: Air BnB, Yad 2, Facebook house swap groups, Janglo. If you are seriously looking into this as a pilot trip and not a chutznik vacation, I would strongly suggest researching specific neighborhoods and finding a place to stay there, specifically. Then you can go to shul, take your kids to the community center (called a matnas - most of them have some kind of family activities, but not summer camp, in August), parks, etc. and get to know the community and see whether you like it.

Tzfat is going to be a lot cheaper to live in than Yerushalayim, so if you can find a job near there, I would suggest you go for that instead. Otherwise you may end up complaining of the high cost of living while you struggle with acclimation. Smile



I took a pilot trip with my husband and I need to bring my kids now so they get a taste of living in Israel for a little bit.
So I'm doing research on neighborhoods. I prefer Yerushalayim over Tzfas although I love both and would consider both. It's just that I was told that there is no community and school for my kids in Tzfas.

I'll check out the websites posted here. Thanks for your help. Shabbat Shalom.
Back to top

amother




Slateblue
 

Post  Fri, Feb 28 2020, 2:49 pm
How about givat zev, right outside of Yerushalayim?
Is it true that it’s cheaper to live there?
Back to top

ora_43




 
 
 
 

Post  Sat, Feb 29 2020, 4:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I took a pilot trip with my husband and I need to bring my kids now so they get a taste of living in Israel for a little bit.
So I'm doing research on neighborhoods. I prefer Yerushalayim over Tzfas although I love both and would consider both. It's just that I was told that there is no community and school for my kids in Tzfas.

I'll check out the websites posted here. Thanks for your help. Shabbat Shalom.

There are also very few jobs in Tzfat.
Back to top

amother




Ruby
 

Post  Sat, Feb 29 2020, 4:26 pm
ora_43 wrote:
There are also very few jobs in Tzfat.


And less schools to choose from or switch to if you are unhappy with one.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries and Aliyah Questions

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Is it fair to expect from them to help out?
by amother
2 Today at 5:29 am View last post
Help!! Horrible nipple crack
by amother
16 Today at 3:03 am View last post
Food help
by amother
22 Today at 1:28 am View last post
GE electric oven sabbath mode HELP
by amother
1 Today at 12:49 am View last post
What to do when? Help a first timer
by amother
10 Yesterday at 12:38 pm View last post

Jump to: