Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Bring daughter home from seminary for pesach?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:14 pm
It was the plan all along, but I haven't bought a ticket yet, and now I'm worrying that she'll come home to ny and won't be able to return to Israel because of the corona virus. It's late to be making pesach plans for Israel though. Am I nuts or is there a chance Israel will even ban flights from America?

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:38 pm
Tourism is pretty big industry in Israel. Things would have to be awfully bad here for that to happen I think. Do you know something I don't? As things are now I can't imagine it.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:54 pm
That is a very real concern. As of now people are encouraged not to leave the country for any non essential trip. I think things are going to get well worse restriction wise before they get better. I’d plan for everyone to just stay put and reavaluate closer to Pesach.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:54 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
That is a very real concern. As of now people are encouraged not to leave the country for any non essential trip. I think things are going to get worse worse restriction wise before they get better. I’d plan for everyone to just stay put and reavaluate closer to Pesach.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 12:06 am
Why is it too late to make plans?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 12:12 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Why is it too late to make plans?

Thanks for the responses. Some of her teachers are hosting 2nd night seder, but they had to sign up a while ago and I'm not sure there are any slots left.

shanarishona

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 12:34 am
I stayed in Israel for pesach in seminary and it was one of the highlights of my year.

chanchy123

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 1:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the responses. Some of her teachers are hosting 2nd night seder, but they had to sign up a while ago and I'm not sure there are any slots left.

I’m sure they will be making special accommodations due to circumstances. Arrange it now. We’re still more than a month before Pesach.

twizzlers1

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 1:13 am
I would think that the seminary should take some responsibility for these girls given the situation. Why can't they host a second Seder in the seminary? I'm sure your daughter won't be the only one that has had to change her plans last minute. If she stays I'm sure she will have a fantastic time. The chagim are very special here.

Chaya123

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 11:13 am
shanarishona wrote:
I stayed in Israel for pesach in seminary and it was one of the highlights of my year.

Same here but was more than 20 years ago. Nowadays, seems almost all girls come home. Diff generation...

Chaya123

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 11:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If not, I'm sure she can always find another option. I attended American couple's seder with a bunch of other girls and we all brought own matzah and wine. Was really interesting!

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 11:19 am
I would bring her home
to find a seder shabbat.com

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 11:26 am
I'd bring her home. If things get that bad, I'd want my kids close to home anyway.

That said, I'm sure that the seminary will have contingency plans and the kids can't get home (or can't return if they leave). Can you email to express your concerns?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 2:04 pm
Thanks. I guess I'll book a ticket and keep an eye on the situation.

banana123

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 3:01 pm
Just going to say that the way things are going now, she may not be able to re-enter Israel if she leaves, unless she has Israeli citizenship.

It's too early to say for sure, though.

I personally stayed in Israel for Pesach - my parents didn't have the money to bring me back - and it was amazing.

banana123

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 3:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. I guess I'll book a ticket and keep an eye on the situation.

Book with El Al, they need the money. Smile

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 3:19 pm
yes this is a major concern, the Australians and anyone flying through Italy definitely wont be allowed back in.

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 9:17 pm
Australians?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 10:57 pm
Yes, I'll only book non stop to minimize problems with other countries.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 2:32 pm
I have the same dilemma. Haven't booked a ticket, not sure if I should. Sad

I have 1 kid studying in the USA, 1 in Israel. I am in Europe.

I am mostly worried they will not be allowed to return to seminary after Pesach if the virus spreads here. (only 2 cases in my country so far but who knows???) And there are no direct flights to Israel from where I live so she has to fly via somewhere else...impossible to know via where at this point!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics