Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do your kids only get sick/injured on Friday afternoon?
1  2  Next

Rappel

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 5:28 am
Today my son spiked another febrile seizure - and it's always on Friday afternoon. Always. Usually on a week that we planned on going out, is davka when the kids get sick, too.

I'm not even surprised anymore.

Can anyone else relate? I'd love to hear some so-bad-you-gotta-laugh stories. Today is becoming very difficult.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 5:37 am
I broke my foot friday afternoon once.

Worst was when my son injured himself on Seder night and he needed to go to hospital. If you think that is bad, the seder was a large public seder I was running with over 100 people. If you think that was bad, I was also supposed to go to the mikva that night, after the seder. (I actually ended up going) The hospital sent us home and told us to go back the next day to another hospital for an operation. Because it was also shabbos, I wasn't able to bring anything for myself to read (only allowed to being what was necessary for choleh) so spent an incredibly boring day there. It was a children's hospital so there was only kids books around.

Rappel

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 6:08 am
Oh goodness, Coral! That sounds crazy!

By the book, I'm supposed to bring him to the hospital, because his seizures are insanely long - 30-40 minutes. But it's a road we've walked before, and it's never done any good. I'm just going to keep him comfortable and fever-free here, and try to make Shabbat at the same time. We were planning on going out, so I have nothing prepared.

Aylat

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 6:12 am
Normally on Shabbat morning or the middle of the night. And when my Dr husband not around. I'll tell you some great stories if I have time later or motzsh. In the meantime refua shleima!

ETA I forgot the time my kid had to be hospitalised motzei Purim - the one Purim DH got totally drunk and was completely out of commission.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 7:09 am
Rappel wrote:
Oh goodness, Coral! That sounds crazy!

By the book, I'm supposed to bring him to the hospital, because his seizures are insanely long - 30-40 minutes. But it's a road we've walked before, and it's never done any good. I'm just going to keep him comfortable and fever-free here, and try to make Shabbat at the same time. We were planning on going out, so I have nothing prepared.

Sorry, sounds hard. Sad My 6 year old had one seizure once when he was a baby but bh it never happened again.

singleagain

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 7:41 am
When I was 11ish somewhere around there. It was erev pesach and I was using the hand mixer to make merengue. A piece of my hair fell down and got caught in the spinning things. The mixer was suddenly on my forehead and I stuck my fingers in them without thinking. We went to the hospital, and I remember my dad said something about how we might have to do a Seder in the hospital and I thought he was joking. BH nothing was broken and I wasn't bleeding I was able to go home. I'm sure that was scary for my folks.

Also, one time I was about 3 or 4 my dad waved to the ppl who were coming to us for shabbat lunch from a taxi, bc he was taking me to the hospital bc my shoulder dislocated. They popped it back in and me and my dad didn't the rest of shabbat with my grandparents who lived closer to the hospital.

Oh .. and once my brother had a reaction to something, and they took him to our pediatrician rang the bell and could hear her kids saying "it's a g*y" bc it was shabbat. And their mom, the ped, said "no, it's a yid who needs help"

My poor folks.... But we all are functioning adults now.

Aylat

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 8:10 am
Rappel, I think you'll appreciate this one. A few weeks after we moved to our yishuv one of my kids had severe croup on Friday night in the middle of the night. He was having severe difficulty breathing. I asked DH, "what would you do if it wasn't Shabbat." He said, "take him straight to Terem." I said, "so you need to take him." Off they went in the car. (We didn't know there was MDA on the yishuv and thought he would get there quicker driving himself.)

2 minutes later my phone rang. I looked; it was DH. I answered and he said, "I don't know what to do, I'm at the exit to the yishuv and the gate is closed across, there's no way to get out!!" Meanwhile DS is gasping away in the seat next to him. Luckily I had the phone book and had seen that the yishuv security guard was listed. I gave him the phone number. DH called.

DH: I'm at the exit to the yishuv, I need to get out and take my son to terem, how can I open the gate??
Suspicious security guy who doesn't know us because we have just moved in: Who are you? What do you want? Where are you going on Shabbat?
DS: gasp gasp gasp.

BH DH convinced him he was not a terrorist. Security guy opened he gate remotely and they whizzed off to terem.

This was the same kid who I had to take to the hospital motzei Purim with DH not able to look after the other kids and MIL came over to babysit. He had a lot of respiratory issues when he was young, but bH has grown out of them.

Last edited by Aylat on Fri, Feb 28 2020, 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Aylat

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 8:12 am
I twice had kids who needed stitches/glue for head wounds on Shabbat. Once a DS, once my 6 yo nephew who was staying with us sans parents because his mother gave birth the day before.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 8:29 am
Always Friday night in this house. My oldest isn't quite two so we don't have that many stories but one Friday night he spiked a 104.2 fever, another Friday night he came down with RSV and his breathing was horribly frightening etc. I don't get why it can't happen on Tuesday or something, so we can do what we need to do like normal people

Reality

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 8:38 am
My daughter had an emergency appendectomy and needed to go to the hospital right before shabbos.

What a friday that was!

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 8:43 am
It always seems to be Shabbos night or day in my household.

Last week the toddler was sick on shabbos with a fever.

A few months I had an allergic reaction on a Friday night, my face started to swell & I broke out in hives all over. Ended up going to the ER. Turns out I most likely had a reaction to new clothes I wore that day I didn’t prewash. Lesson learned- Always prewash new clothes!

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 8:47 am
Nah, it’s all week with my kids. Appliances, however, like fridge, oven and a/c are partial to breaking erev Shabbos or erev YT. Ditto for plumbing issues.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 8:51 am
It certainly does feel that way, although most likely is that the stress of having to deal with that on erev Shabbos likely just makes it more memorable than if it was a Tuesday.

When I was 5, I was jumping on the couch and fell off and hit my head on the coffee table. I needed like 10 stitches, and yes, it was Friday afternoon, and I remember my dad holding me as the (also frum) doctor stitched me up, and they were both saying, "man, this stuff always on erev Shabbos, right?" I have also twice had to take a child for stitches on erev Shabbos. However, one of my kids broke an arm during the week. While certainly an unpleasantly memorable event, I don't recall what day of the week it is. But I can tell you, it definitely wasn't Friday, because if it was, there's no way I would forget that it happened on a Friday.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 8:54 am
We had a severe asthma attack on Erev Yom Kippur that sent us to the ER for basically the entire afternoon. We managed to get home just before the fast (so I barely ate). Then, it came back later that night, and we had to go back to the ER and got admitted. That left dh home with everyone else, and he davens mussaf and neilah for the amud on Yom Kippur.

malki2

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 9:00 am
Not all the time. Sometimes they got injured on Shabbos.

amother
White

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 9:02 am
My kids always get sick before a trip or YT. Hard!
And yes appliances and plumbing issues happen then too !

amother
Green

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 9:05 am
My son broke his arm on friday afternoon!
Another time, he was playing who could throw a stone the highest, he was looking up to check and stone landed on his upper lip... Can't Believe It
Yep! Needed glue to fix it up!
I think the reason is parents are more busy on friday and don't supervise as much!!
(We did have a bunch of incidents also in the middle of the week but we do remember the friday afternoon one more!! LOL )

Amarante

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 9:35 am
There is an actual expression for this - hedonic asymmetry. Very Happy

It means the perception that things go wrong for a person disproportionately - e.g. the simplest is feeling that the train that comes first is ALWAYS in the opposite direction. Here the perception is that sickness occurs disproportionately at the worst possible times.

singleagain

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 9:50 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
It certainly does feel that way, although most likely is that the stress of having to deal with that on erev Shabbos likely just makes it more memorable than if it was a Tuesday.

When I was 5, I was jumping on the couch and fell off and hit my head on the coffee table. I needed like 10 stitches, and yes, it was Friday afternoon, and I remember my dad holding me as the (also frum) doctor stitched me up, and they were both saying, "man, this stuff always on erev Shabbos, right?" I have also twice had to take a child for stitches on erev Shabbos. However, one of my kids broke an arm during the week. While certainly an unpleasantly memorable event, I don't recall what day of the week it is. But I can tell you, it definitely wasn't Friday, because if it was, there's no way I would forget that it happened on a Friday.

Amarante wrote:
There is an actual expression for this - hedonic asymmetry. Very Happy

It means the perception that things go wrong for a person disproportionately - e.g. the simplest is feeling that the train that comes first is ALWAYS in the opposite direction. Here the perception is that sickness occurs disproportionately at the worst possible times.

Between the bolded and amarante .... I wonder if the Friday stuff sticks out bc it was Friday

Odelyah

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 9:55 am
my daughter fell in the bathroom on shabbos night and hit her chin on the tile and popped it open and required stitches. not only was it shabbos but it was xmas, (which made a big difference as far as the lack of plastic surgeons around to stitch up her face)

also our oven broke twice on erev yomtov. once was pesach. and one year our backyard caught fire on erev shavuos
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics