Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Will the bag ban or Corona virus change the way you shop?
1  2  Next

southernbubby

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 8:17 pm
DIL was saying that she needs about 25 durable bags and will have to buy bags to use for wastebaskets and diaper disposal.
It looks like it is worth the expenses of grocery delivery and getting some large online company to deliver non perishable items. Basically will going grocery shopping become a thing of the past because of the inconvenience?
Apparently if the Corona virus hits a community, grocery stores will be looked at like vectors of infection and people are stocking up before that happens.

nchr

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 10:24 pm
No, I will not be changing my shopping methods. I have never cared for plastic bags. There are approx 60 cases of SARS-CoV-2 in the entire US so it would be premature to do anything. I guess you should keep in mind some people may panic so if there is a supply you need (I.e. Aleve, toilet paper, prescription meds, etc) maybe stock up on that. Even with the quarantine, people in China were using groceries and actually restaurants started offering delivery. I read an article about how online sales of fresh food sky rocketed in China. However, I want to reiterate, it is way too premature to change the way you shop IMO and in the opinion of our country's health advisers.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 11:47 pm
nchr wrote:
No, I will not be changing my shopping methods. I have never cared for plastic bags. There are approx 60 cases of SARS-CoV-2 in the entire US so it would be premature to do anything. I guess you should keep in mind some people may panic so if there is a supply you need (I.e. Aleve, toilet paper, prescription meds, etc) maybe stock up on that. Even with the quarantine, people in China were using groceries and actually restaurants started offering delivery. I read an article about how online sales of fresh food sky rocketed in China. However, I want to reiterate, it is way too premature to change the way you shop IMO and in the opinion of our country's health advisers.

Now there's 69 cases actually, and way more being tested. The CDC just allowed US States to test for it and are hoping to have all states be able to test by end of next week, so I expect that number to go up.

nchr

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 12:04 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Now there's 69 cases actually, and way more being tested. The CDC just allowed US States to test for it and are hoping to have all states be able to test by end of next week, so I expect that number to go up.

69 can be expressed as approximately 60. There are certainly more cases considering the recent community acquired cases on the west coast. But still, compared to the entire population of the US, there is little difference between 60 and 69 or even 200. It would still be premature to take serious measures and the threat to the general American public is very low. One thing is that flu cases should decrease due to the increase in awareness regarding measures like hand washing and not touching your face (as has been the case in Japan). Obviously we should heed the advice of local health departments and officials since it is a fluid, changing situation.

DVOM

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:03 am
My husband and I were just talking about this last night. I'm not sure how we'd cope with school closures if things get that far.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:26 am
Not changing anything at the moment, but my DH has a weakened immune system, so if things get worse, I’ll ask him to stop going to crowded public places, including Shul. We always attend smaller Megillah readings, and will absolutely do that again this year.

Because of the possibility of shortages if supply chains fail, try to make sure that you have at least 2 weeks of essential meds on hand. Wash your hands thoroughly. And let’s hope for the best.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:38 am
I order mostly online anyway, no time in my schedule to go to the store. It's worth it for me to have someone else shop and deliver so I have those hours to keep up with kids/house/work.

I did order plastic bags though because I need them for carrying things around town, for wrapping diapers, for sending shabbos party nosh or other things to school, for big boys to hold their hats in the rain, and more.

West End Tova

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:04 am
SixOfWands wrote:
My DH has a weakened immune system,

It's very important to maintain a supply of any medicines needed on a regular basis. China supplies the ingredients for many drugs.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/c.....00885

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:44 am
West End Tova wrote:
It's very important to maintain a supply of any medicines needed on a regular basis. China supplies the ingredients for many drugs.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/c.....00885
I

Yes but it’s not like you can get extra in advance. My dd takes a drug that can’t be pushed a day but we get exactly a month supply (2 shots per month) I do worry what happens if there is a glitch in the supply chain. And the glitch can be anywhere along the line. Not just the drug. Ingredients. Packaging. Etc.
they are the only company that produces it. And if you miss doses the body produces antibodies so you can never go backk on.

West End Tova

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:25 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I
we get exactly a month supply

Not sure what insurance you have, but some plans allow for a 90-day supply. If yours does, see if your doctor will re-write the prescription.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:29 am
online masks are hard to buy and hand sanitizers
im buying a rice cooker and a mask

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:32 am
West End Tova wrote:
Not sure what insurance you have, but some plans allow for a 90-day supply. If yours does, see if your doctor will re-write the prescription.

We get exactly a 35 day supply and have to get it from the dr who gets it directly from the pharmaceutical company every 28 days (and we then return the extra) it’s a whole spiel with Drs and nurses and pharmacists counting out pills.

West End Tova

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:35 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
it’s a whole spiel

I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds like a heartache. Personally, I would still contact the doctor - this is an unusual situation and you want to make absolutely sure that DH's health is not compromised. Hatzlacha and refuah shleima.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:39 am
West End Tova wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds like a heartache. Personally, I would still contact the doctor - this is an unusual situation and you want to make absolutely sure that DH's health is not compromised. Hatzlacha and refuah shleima.

Nah, will never happen with an investigational drug. And they’re not doing a/t yet about corona- just asked the oncologist abt it on thurs, just regular precautions.

Ps It’s for my child

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:43 am
West End Tova wrote:

Controlled substances are a strictly 30 day supply with a new script needed every month

West End Tova

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:44 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:

Ps It’s for my child

Sorry - I was originally responding to Ima SixofWands' post. Didn't catch that you mentioned dd.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:50 am
We're from California and have always taken some emergency precautions because of earthquakes. So we have simply modified some of things we already do or should do to be prepared for a "shelter in place" emergency. I'm treating this as a drill in case we need to take unusual measures.

We already have changed some of our shopping habits. I've started to purchase extras of foods that keep well without refrigeration like nuts, granola bars, dried fruit, and chocolate (very important Smile ). I will stock up on paper goods and plasticware.

In the (unlikely) event that essential services go out, we have a 55-gallon barrel of water in our basement. DH has purchased masks and anti-bacterial soap, and has been maintaining our generator.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 10:17 am
I did read somewhere that the run on masks has caused a critical shortage for health care professionals without making the world safer for anyone else. Apparently masks won't save us.
I did get an email from Target about store to door same day delivery. I have never tried it and always tried to go to the store with the best deals but my front door is up a flight of stairs, DH is off his feet due to an injury, and it's easier than shlepping a dozen bags to the store. They are probably going to soar in popularity. I also have a bad cold and therefore I am rejected by polite society. DS and DIL offered to go to Aldi's for us but shlepping is losing its appeal.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 12:05 pm
Instacart.com

southernbubby

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 1:13 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Instacart.com

They do list Aldi's.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics