Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do I need consent for this?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 12:58 pm
Some time ago I ran a small extracurricular program for little kids. Now I am applying for jobs doing something similar in schools. Can I share pictures I took of my activities with prospective employers or do I legally need consent from the parents? This would not go on a website or advertisement or anything, it's just to people that I sent a resume to who want to see examples of the work I did in the past.

banana123

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 1:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Some time ago I ran a small extracurricular program for little kids. Now I am applying for jobs doing something similar in schools. Can I share pictures I took of my activities with prospective employers or do I legally need consent from the parents? This would not go on a website or advertisement or anything, it's just to people that I sent a resume to who want to see examples of the work I did in the past.

AFAIK you can use photos if you blur faces. If you show the faces you need the parents' consent.

I'm not a lawyer, though.

ETA I live in Israel, your local laws may differ.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 2:34 pm
Good point re location, I'm in USA

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 2:39 pm
Can you block the kids faces?

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 2:50 pm
You aren't using the pictures for commercial purposes and they would have very limited viewership.

Personally I wouldn't worry about getting permission under these circumstances. Many pictures of taken, for example, of children's parties or children playing in the park and then posted to Facebook or other social media sites and there is no issue in terms of obtaining consent from everyone who happened to be in the picture.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 2:51 pm
Agree with Cornflower. If you are making a flyer with the pictures, I would blur or block the faces. But if you're just forwarding pictures to a potential employer to show the kinds of things you've done, I wouldn't worry about it.

singleagain

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 2:53 pm
Maybe don't immediately attach it. But say something like "references upon request" type of thing. Bc if you send it out (especially electronically... It's out there for someone to steal... For sure waterman them for protection.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 3:01 pm
I definitely agree that I wouldn't send out pictures to prospective employers with the first resume and inquiry.

My advice was based on OP stating that the prospective employer wanted to see examples of work which I assumed meant that the process had progressed to a certain point.

To me it is like being asked for examples of work which has been asked of me after an initial interview. I would never have attached my work product with a resume and sent it blindly since my work product technically belonged to my employer or client. However, once I had an initial interview and was at a further stage I would send it because I knew it was being used for the limited purpose of evaluating my work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics