Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
New cleaner sick - how to re-schedule? (Fear of coronavirus)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 6:05 pm
I was supposed to start a new cleaner tomorrow (Monday). She said she is sick and we re-scheduled for Thursday.

DH and I are in the high-risk age group for coronavirus. DH read this: "The best prevention is washing your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds and staying home when you’re sick for at least 14 days."

He says I should say I'm under the weather and push off for two weeks. He says it would insult her if I said anything about coronavirus.

I thought it would insult her if I seemed to be cancelling capriciously.

Imas, what's the best way to handle this? TIA!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 6:48 pm
This is not about the corona virus specifically as I’m assuming the flu is just as bad for you?

I would say you’re sick and can we please make up for ‘date in two weeks’ just like that.

mamma llama

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 6:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was supposed to start a new cleaner tomorrow (Monday). She said she is sick and we re-scheduled for Thursday.

DH and I are in the high-risk age group for coronavirus. DH read this: "The best prevention is washing your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds and staying home when you’re sick for at least 14 days."

He says I should say I'm under the weather and push off for two weeks. He says it would insult her if I said anything about coronavirus.

I thought it would insult her if I seemed to be cancelling capriciously.

Imas, what's the best way to handle this? TIA!

I wouldn't want anyone under the weather in my house - corona or not.
I think saying that you're sick is a good idea and I doubt your cleaner will catch on.
You can even make a joke to her about how ironic it is that now she feels better, but you're sick...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 6:59 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
This is not about the corona virus specifically as I’m assuming the flu is just as bad for you?

It sort of is about the coronavirus, because we've had flu shots (although they're never 100% protective) and there are medicines for the flu.

But I think you're right about what to say to the cleaner. Thanks.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:01 pm
Why do you assume its Corona virus that she has? If it were, she'd probably be too sick to come clean your house.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:03 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Why do you assume its Corona virus that she has?

I'm not assuming that she has Corona virus, but I don't know, and it's apparently very varied in its symptoms and highly contagious. I'm just being very cautious.

mamma llama

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:04 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Why do you assume its Corona virus that she has? If it were, she'd probably be too sick to come clean your house.

Research shows that not everyone is hit the same. Some cases are milder, but can be more severe for whomever they spread it to.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:07 pm
mamma llama wrote:

You can even make a joke to her about how ironic it is that now she feels better, but you're sick...

Very clever, thank you.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:19 pm
The level of paranoia is astounding.

She has a cold. She doesn’t have coronavirus.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:29 pm
Op I think you are smart to be proactive and cautious. Yes agree with DH that is a good way to go.

People in more vulnerable categories, if not everyone else, are so smart to be cautious!

Wishing you and everyone robust health.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:36 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Op I think you are smart to be proactive and cautious. Yes agree with DH that is a good way to go.

People in more vulnerable categories, if not everyone else, are so smart to be cautious!

Wishing you and everyone robust health.

Many thanks for your kindness, Ima Maroon. Returning your good wishes.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:47 pm
A mekubal in Israel, Rabbi Gamliel Rabinowitz put out a video saying men are protected by davening with a minyan three times a day and not speaking during davening while women and girls are protected by bringing in Shabbos before the zman/early.

May Hashem Protect us all b'rachamim!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics