Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
If you don't have a laundry room, where do you fold?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:13 pm
I'm about to lose my laundry room because we need to convert it to a kid's bedroom. My machines are in a hallway closet near the bedrooms. I have a bunch of kids BH...which means a bunch of laundry. Although I have cleaning help, there is usually at least two unfolded loads of laundry waiting for someone to tend to. Do I just need to get better at the laundry, or is there some magical nook I can create to keep my clean unfolded laundry? On this floor are 4 bedrooms, a hallway, and a bathroom.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:15 pm
I have a laundry basket where I put the clean laundry in. I fould either on the washer/dryer or on a bed.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:16 pm
Not for laundry, but my mother has a fold-down counter. You could probably have a handyman put something like that up.

Personally, I just fold (or don't fold) on my bed.

The best trick ever (from the book "From Frazzled to Focused") is to eliminate sorting by having everyone put their dirty clothing in their own basket, and do more smaller loads. It ends up taking way shorter because you don't need to sort it after drying.

I do have a wire shelving unit in a corner next to my dryer where I keep some clean things, in laundry baskets or just on the shelf.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:16 pm
Following.

I have a laundry room in the basement but nowhere to fold laundry in there. Clean laundry gets sorted and dumped onto the beds in the guest room until someone has a chance to fold it. I'm about to lose the guest room because we need to reshuffle the kid's bedrooms so I'm not sure where the laundry is going to go.

watergirl

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:20 pm
On my bed or the table. We only have one table so needing it clear to fold laundry is motivation for keeping it clear.

hodeez

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:20 pm
Fill up the hamper with the clothes, take it to my bed, unload and fold,put it back in the hamper folded and distributed among the drawers.

Simple1

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:21 pm
I never fold in the laundry room - it's easier to do it where I have more space to work.

lucky14

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:25 pm
Clean laundry goes into a laundry basket and I usually end up folding it all the next morning or afternoon.

HelloG

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:30 pm
I have a piece of wood like a counter on top of the washmachine and dryer

Elfrida

This is probably old fashioned and unheard of. We don't have a dryer!

Clothes dry outside on the line. They get taken off the line and folded. I was taught that everything should be ironed but I'm not as strict as my mother was. Whatever needs ironing is loosely folded and then ironed, and folded immediately, on the ironing board. Sorting it happens automatically when you are dealing with one item at a time. I like the feel of clothes treated this way much better than clothes out of the dryer.

Surrendered

I fold laundry on my dining room table!!!

Snickers18

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:36 pm
Similar setup here. We fold on a clean table or bed. We make sure to get it all folded and put away the day it gets done so there’s no accumulation.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:38 pm
On the beds. Where else would you do it?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:39 pm
When we didn't have a laundry room I used a foldable basket and moved it as needed then folded it while out of use. I still use such a basket for clean laundry even with a room.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:45 pm
I do have a laundry room, but I fold on the couch in the living room. The trickier thing for me is remembering/finishing finding time to put it away.

HeartyAppetite

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:54 pm
I fold the laundry on my finding room table. I wash and fold a load a day. I put the clean laundry in a garbage bag in my laundry closet and fold it at night.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:55 pm
Dining room table

I don't recommend it. It's just the only available large flat surface.

nanny24/7

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:57 pm
I sort which clothes belong to which bedroom, then sit on a bed in each room and immediately place each item in the correct drawer as soon as it's folded. I got so used to that method, that the idea of first folding laundry in one place, and then transferring the stuff to another place once folded feels unnecessarily lengthy to me. I use landry bags or baskets to carry the piles of unfolded laundry to the correct bedroom.
I find that it takes me just about 5 minutes to put away each full load of laundry. I will admit I don't fold to perfect standards.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:58 pm
In my room, on my bed or on the floor.

soap suds

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:01 pm
Surrendered wrote:
I fold laundry on my dining room table!!!

Me too. I actually like it. When I see my friend doing hers in her laundry room, I'm sort of glad I don't have one. Her laundry room has nowhere near as much space as my dining room table.
The downside is having my dining room look messy until I get to it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry