Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Need meal and snack ideas

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 12:02 pm
I just got back from the allergist with my 5 month old.
He's allergic to:
Dairy
Eggs
Cocoa bean
Nuts
Peanuts
Fish
Sesame
Blueberries
Strawberries

I need meal and snack ideas for myself while I wean him. I get starving, and I eat a lot.
I hate fruits and veggies and oatmeal.
Supper isn't a problem because we always have meat/chicken anyway. Lunch, I'll have pasta and ketchup.
What about breakfast? (Yuck to coffee) And snack? And variety for lunch?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 12:19 pm
getting creative with soy and other beans.
I've used pea protein shakes as a backup when I couldn't find anything else to eat.
Coconut milk is usually fine even with nut allergies unless you've specifically tested positive for coconut.
Roasted chickpeas are a yummy snack
Bean chili's and such
Have more fleishigs, chicken cutlets for breakfast, turkey tortillas for lunch Smile

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 12:21 pm
Been there, done that and still dealing with it 17 years later Smile
It's overwhelming in the beginning, but you adjust and really get used to it. I did not wean, but went on a diet for 3 of my kids while nursing. But I also had to change my lifestyle and how I cook for them now that they are older and eat real food in teen quantities.

Breakfast:
oatmeal
farina
Cereal and soy or rice milk
egg free pancakes (we made them with soy/rice milk)
egg free muffins
toast with jelly
Pareve/egg fee/dairy free waffles in some store's freezer section
smoothie with soy yogurt and soy/rice milk and anything you would put in a regular smoothie

Lunch:
pasta
sandwiches
soy yogurt
pareve pizza -- there is a ready made frozen brand. Daiya also makes "fake" cheese which isn't so bad and actually melts
chicken salad (I know fleishig, but lunch)
leftovers from supper
couscous or orzo

snacks:
pretzels + chumus or soy (nut free) butter
bread sticks
many brands of the heimish cookies are egg free
rice cakes
dried fruit
baked potato
egg free muffins
egg free cakes
apple sauce
pop corn

(PS for egg free baking---mix one tsp baking powder + one TBSP Vinegar + 1 TBSP water per egg in the recipe. Don't do if there are more than 3-4 eggs. Bake a bit longer and it will be a bit crummy and crumbly, but still tastes good)

I know it sounds disgusting, but my son has eaten fleishigs for breakfast. His claim being that he can't have dairy anyway, so why not....so if you can't eat dairy, you really can have fleishigs for breakfast too.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 12:28 pm
I'm on my third allergic baby now and just want to chime in to say it's overwhelming in the beginning but it becomes very routine and manageable. And beH he will outgrow some of those allergies. One of mine outgrew at a young age, one started outgrowing some a number of years later. What helped me in the beginning was going to the supermarket and going up and down the aisles and buying anything that looked good that I could eat. That way I had options at home and wasn't starving all the time or eating the same few foods and getting sick of them.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 12:36 pm
Thanks everyone! These are awesome ideas.
For lunch today Im eating sushi with sweet potato and fried onions. Sesame free and egg free spicy mayo.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 12:37 pm
What made you take him at this age? My son is also 5 months and seems to be very sensitive. I’m only nursing him and have cut out dairy, chocolate, caffeine, peanuts and soy and have seen a huge difference (he had been projectile vomiting, making green diapers and absolutely miserable although gaining weight) but the doctor said babies this age don’t generally see allergists since they tend to outgrow it quickly. I would love to know definitively though what’s bothering him.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 12:39 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
What made you take him at this age? My son is also 5 months and seems to be very sensitive. I’m only nursing him and have cut out dairy, chocolate, caffeine, peanuts and soy and have seen a huge difference (he had been projectile vomiting, making green diapers and absolutely miserable although gaining weight) but the doctor said babies this age don’t generally see allergists since they tend to outgrow it quickly. I would love to know definitively though what’s bothering him.

That is NOT TRUE. Real allergies are not usually outgrown that fast. Please help your miserable baby and get tested. I've done it for much younger babies.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 1:03 pm
Quote:

My first I waited until 11 months and totally regret not taking him earlier. He projectile vomited with certain foods. Had horrible eczema and recurring (non stop) ear infections.
My second I tested at 3-4 months and my 3rd probably more like 4-5 months.

My kids were allergic to the norms like milk, eggs, and nuts. But we also had the odd ones like garlic, chicken, beef, carrots, apples, and oats. So although you are removing many common allergens from your diet, it could be you are eating something that is less common that is making your baby miserable.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 1:27 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:

He was breaking out in hives and eczema. Also vomited a lot.
Who told you that 5 months is too young? My allergist tests already at 4 months
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics