Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Taking away bottle
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 8:44 pm
Please reassure me that I'm doing the right thing taking away the bottle from nap time and bedtime.
She is 2 now and I think it's just time!
Night #2 now...

HelloG

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 8:45 pm
I also wanna start weaning my baby from bottle, gonna follow for tips that come up

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 8:50 pm
I kinda went cold turkey....
I told her she'll get a big prize if she stops. She sort of understands but doesnt really get when itll be.

yersp

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 8:53 pm
I would start by giving a sippy cup instead of a bottle. That's what I did with my kids when I wanted to ween them.

jfk92

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 8:59 pm
Stopped my son at 15 months. Cold turkey too. He was just using it as a soother to fall asleep and at times ir would just be something hed fidget with and stay up longer. He didn't get anything of value from it and I didnt want to take any risks of bottle rot or fluids in ear. It wasnt the easiest but I rewarded him with a pretzel. I talked about how bottles are for babies- not big boys. He already had some idea of that concept. And we "packed" them away for babies in a box together. He still talked about them for about a month but he was able to put himself to sleep even faster than with a bottle, about a week in. Hatzlacha raba!!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 9:19 pm
DD never had a bottle in her bed in her entire life. She also never used a sippy cup, but graduated straight to normal cups with a straw.

Kids really can survive without all of that stuff. It's the advertising agencies that want to convince you that you need to buy all this equipment in order to parent properly.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 9:26 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
DD never had a bottle in her bed in her entire life. She also never used a sippy cup, but graduated straight to normal cups with a straw.

Kids really can survive without all of that stuff. It's the advertising agencies that want to convince you that you need to buy all this equipment in order to parent properly.

Nah, for some of us it's actually life saving. My almost 2 year old gets super sensory overloaded often and his bottle is the only way he can regulate himself. Once he's a bit older and I can reason with him, we'll work on getting rid of it but for now, it's a bottle and a calm toddler or a firestorm of tantrums.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:00 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Maybe kids can survive without all this stuff. But the MOTHERS definitely can not survive!!!! As long as a bottle and pacifier calm my baby down, he gets one.
I usually transition from bottle to sippy cup at 2 and take away pacifiers at 4.

lucky14

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:00 pm
I always thought it was preferable to stop the bottles at age 1. I don't quite remember all the reasons why but I'm sure you can look them up if you want some reassurance that you're right to stop them. If you're actually giving the bottle in bed I think that's really bad for the teeth unless you're giving water.
Good luck! I didn't have to stop bottles but we did go through the fun of stopping pacifiers!

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:01 pm
lucky14 wrote:
I always thought it was preferable to stop the bottles at age 1. I don't quite remember all the reasons why but I'm sure you can look them up if you want some reassurance that you're right to stop them. If you're actually giving the bottle in bed I think that's really bad for the teeth unless you're giving water.
Good luck! I didn't have to stop bottles but we did go through the fun of stopping pacifiers!

My kids all had bottles till 2 and bh no one has any teeth problems.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:35 pm
I just took my 20 month old bottles away on Shabbos. I had her throw them in the garbage while we all clapped and cheered for her. Then we tied up the garbage and said bye bye bottles. She askes for her bottle periodically and points and cries. Totally breaks my heart. She is now eating better and that was really the reason why we threw it out in the first place. I have a sippy cup that is a bit similar to her bottle that she drinks milk from periodically. I almost wish she took a pacifier because of how hard it is to see her wanting comfort and not being able to give it.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:37 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I just took my 20 month old bottles away on Shabbos. I had her throw them in the garbage while we all clapped and cheered for her. Then we tied up the garbage and said bye bye bottles. She askes for her bottle periodically and points and cries. Totally breaks my heart. She is now eating better and that was really the reason why we threw it out in the first place. I have a sippy cup that is a bit similar to her bottle that she drinks milk from periodically. I almost wish she took a pacifier because of how hard it is to see her wanting comfort and not being able to give it.

If she doesn't have a pacifier and gets comforted with a bottle, what's the rush to get rid of it??

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:41 pm
My oldest two children are 18 months apart. I actually never gave them a bottle, until I ended up living by my parents for a little while until my house was ready. I have a sibling that same age as my daughter who took bottles. My kids got hooked on them and wouldn't stop taking them. I prepared them by saying that the new house does not like bottles, and I did not let them take a bottle into the house. Even when we went to see the house before it was ready, I made them leave the bottle outside the door. So they did not have a bottle from when I moved into my house. My next son, I went straight from nursing to a regular cup, I did not ever give him a bottle or a sippy cup.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:42 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
If she doesn't have a pacifier and gets comforted with a bottle, what's the rush to get rid of it??

I notice with my toddler that when he has the bottle too much, he doesn't eat well that day which is a problem since he's not gaining weight as well as he should be. So though I depend on the bottle to soothe him, I work really hard to limit it so he eats

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:44 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I notice with my toddler that when he has the bottle too much, he doesn't eat well that day which is a problem since he's not gaining weight as well as he should be. So though I depend on the bottle to soothe him, I work really hard to limit it so he eats

So only give him a bottle at bed time/nap time and don't put milk in it so he shouldn't feel full.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:46 pm
I went to a bottle of milk to a bottle with water then a soppy cup with water.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:46 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
My oldest two children are 18 months apart. I actually never gave them a bottle, until I ended up living by my parents for a little while until my house was ready. I have a sibling that same age as my daughter who took bottles. My kids got hooked on them and wouldn't stop taking them. I prepared them by saying that the new house does not like bottles, and I did not let them take a bottle into the house. Even when we went to see the house before it was ready, I made them leave the bottle outside the door. So they did not have a bottle from when I moved into my house. My next son, I went straight from nursing to a regular cup, I did not ever give him a bottle or a sippy cup.

Right but till when did u nurse? Did u stop cold turkey at 1 year?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:58 pm

She was limiting her diet down to 5 foods and she would cry all the time for her bottle. We took her to our pediatrician who said she was drinking too much milk and we should only give her milk in her sippy cup. She also just had a speech and feeding evaluation (was denied) but the therapist reccomended getting rid of the bottle. It was painful to not give her that comfort but today was the first day ever she tried pasta and rice. It was sooooo hard to take it away. I totally would have let her have it till she was at least 3 if she didn't struggle with her eating.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 11:23 pm
So only give him a bottle at bed time/nap time and don't put milk in it so he shouldn't feel full.

As I said before, it's his comfort and way to decompress. Without it he doesn't know how to regulate himself. It's only water but drinking lots of water can make him feel full. I'm waiting a few months til he's old enough express himself better and then we'll get rid of it since he'll be able to say what he's feeling more than now

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 11:25 pm
I got rid of bottles for my kids on Pesach when we went to my inlaws in Cleveland.
I told my kids that "Ooops - I forgot to pack the bottles". The kids were a little past two and
too young to know you can buy bottles in Cleveland. They were sad but accepted that there
was no way to have a bottle.

Some people tell kids that bottles are Chometz and throw them into the bonfire. After Pesach,
kids are over it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics