Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Initials RS
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:42 am
My husband's grandparents weren't frum and we have no way of finding out their Hebrew names. Purely by coincidence, both of them have the initials R S (I don't want to post their real names but think Robert Scott and Rita Sadie). Rivka and Rochel are not options. We are thinking of Rus for a girl, which is also my grandmother's name so seems perfect, but we can't figure out what to use for the S (Sara and Shayna are not options, I'd consider Shoshana but Rus Shoshana sounds sort of odd). And I can't think of anything for a boy except Reuven or Refael, both of which would be odd because they are the names of children of close friends. Shmuel and Shlomo are likely contenders for a second name, but I'd love to hear other ideas. And I'm due iyH in Elul, so anything connected to that time of year is also helpful. Oh, and we prefer from Tanach or at least traditionally used in charedi communities. Thanks!

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:50 am
I would use the name as close friends
In both sides of my family with each having only five cousins two have the same name golda and Jared

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:52 am
Shifra
Sarit
Shalhevet
Shulamis/t
Shalva

Rachamim

Turquoise3

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:54 am
Rina, Ruchama, Shalva, Shulamis.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My husband's grandparents weren't frum and we have no way of finding out their Hebrew names. Purely by coincidence, both of them have the initials R S (I don't want to post their real names but think Robert Scott and Rita Sadie). Rivka and Rochel are not options. We are thinking of Rus for a girl, which is also my grandmother's name so seems perfect, but we can't figure out what to use for the S (Sara and Shayna are not options, I'd consider Shoshana but Rus Shoshana sounds sort of odd). And I can't think of anything for a boy except Reuven or Refael, both of which would be odd because they are the names of children of close friends. Shmuel and Shlomo are likely contenders for a second name, but I'd love to hear other ideas. And I'm due iyH in Elul, so anything connected to that time of year is also helpful. Oh, and we prefer from Tanach or at least traditionally used in charedi communities. Thanks!

Any chance of reversing the initial? Because Shoshana Ruth sounds great.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I do genealogy and have gone back generations even on sides where "everything was lost" and "no one remembers". If you're interested in giving me info to work with I could post my name to pm.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 12:00 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

I agree, but I really want a Ruti for our grandmothers and I feel like purposely naming in a certain order only to use the second name sets people up for confusion.

essie14

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 2:21 pm
I would totally do
Ruth Simcha
Ruth Shulamit
Ruth Shir

For boy, I love the name Shalom.
Rachamim Shalom
Ro'I Shalom
Reuven Shalom

Not choosing a name because of friends? That's a little funny to me. Even in families, people use the same name.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 2:56 pm
essie14 wrote:
I would totally do
Ruth Simcha
Ruth Shulamit
Ruth Shir

For boy, I love the name Shalom.
Rachamim Shalom
Ro'I Shalom
Reuven Shalom

Not choosing a name because of friends? That's a little funny to me. Even in families, people use the same name.

I hear that, it's just that being BT we don't have a whole big network of frum friends and family, and it seems like there aren't that many frum names to go around. So for example, again not using all of their real names (swapping around a couple of my R and S names), the couple that mekareved me were Devorah and Shlomo, and their son was Rafael. My name already happens to be Devorah (fake example again), and I feel like it would be weird if I used Rafael Shlomo too.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 3:02 pm
I personally would only use a name before a middle name if it ends with a vowel.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 3:23 pm
Ruchama is a perfect Elul name IMO.

Ruchama Shifra?
Ruchama Shaindel?
Ruchama Simcha?

dankbar

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 3:26 pm
Raya, Ronit, Rella, Rechel, Rahchel, Rose, Roizy, Rany, Rudy,

Ron,

Sosa, shlomtzion, shlomtzy, shira, shana, shaindel, shayna, shuli/shulamit, shalva, shalhevet, Shenya, shprintza, soshy, silka, sima, serel, shimona,

sadye, sheftel, shmuel, shimon, shua, shaya, shraga, sinai,

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 4:45 pm
If you're specifically looking for an S name, I think it makes more sense to use a name that actually makes the "s" sound, such as Sima or Simcha.

Metukah

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 5:16 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Was gonna ask this, ruth doesn't do well as a first of 2 names. I don't think there is any name that will sound good with Ruth as the first.
If you prefer this order maybe think of a different R name.
How about raizel shoshana? (raizel us rose in Yiddish and shoshana is rose in Hebrew, I think that is a cute type of combination.)
How about Rina Shoshana?

Metukah

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 5:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I agree, but I really want a Ruti for our grandmothers and I feel like purposely naming in a certain order only to use the second name sets people up for confusion.

My son is called by his second name. I don't think it's confusing.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 5:38 pm
Metukah wrote:
My son is called by his second name. I don't think it's confusing.

Dh is called by his second name and hates it. Any time he’s called up for an aliyah they call him up by his name and wait for him to fill in the rest and he has to correct them and get them to start again. It’s also more annoying for work and college that his legal name is his first name which is not the name he uses.
That being said for a girl I don’t think it’s an issue we would call by a second name and just put that name only on the birth certificate so she has one clear identity. Especially in this case where Rus/Rut just don’t flow well into a second name.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 1:25 am
Rina Simcha

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 5:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hear that, it's just that being BT we don't have a whole big network of frum friends and family, and it seems like there aren't that many frum names to go around. So for example, again not using all of their real names (swapping around a couple of my R and S names), the couple that mekareved me were Devorah and Shlomo, and their son was Rafael. My name already happens to be Devorah (fake example again), and I feel like it would be weird if I used Rafael Shlomo too.

If you have personal reasons for using Refael and Shlomo, the fact that a family you're close with has the same names should not deter you from using them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 9:27 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
If you have personal reasons for using Refael and Shlomo, the fact that a family you're close with has the same names should not deter you from using them.

Right. If those were my relatives' actual names I wouldn't think twice. But I'm just trying to match initials and I feel funny using names of people I see all the time, especially since I sort of already did that with one kid, with this same family (for example they have an Adira and I have an Adina, just one letter off).

(I might be getting confusing here especially since I'm trying to avoid using real names. To clarify, the Devorah, Shlomo, Refael, Reuven, and Adira I've mentioned are in two different families.)

salt

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 2:13 am
If it's a girl, I would just go for Rut after your grandmother. And as other posters have said, I don't think any S name after Rut will roll off the tongue easily.

Trying to name for 3 grandparents seems like it's getting too complicated.

If it's a boy you could try the R.S. combination.
How about Aharon (Roni) Shalom - (goes together as Aharon Hakohen was rodef shalom)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names