Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Help with a question
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:19 pm
Dd 8 years old told me earlier today that she needs an interesting question/ information tidbit for school tomorrow. I told her we would do it later since it was a crazy evening and of course I forgot. TMI TMI Banging head Banging head
She is sleeping now and I’m not even sure if it’s for her Yiddish teacher or English.
If anyone has anything appropriate I would really appreciate it and then I can tell it to her in the morning.

mamma llama

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:22 pm
What kind of information is her teacher looking for? Like a random fact?

advocate

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:03 pm
In Persia, they had an 11 day week, so Esther had 11 different maidservants so that she could keep track of which day was Shabbos, and no one would realize she kept Shabbos because the weekday maids never saw her rest and the shabbos maid never saw her do work. Other cultures have had weeks of different lengths. (You can see a few examples in wikipedia under Week)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:06 pm
mamma llama wrote:
What kind of information is her teacher looking for? Like a random fact?

I wish I knew but she’s sleeping and I can’t ask her

momtra

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:07 pm
The story of Purim is the last historic story to be included in Tanach

amother
Green

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:15 pm
English: (if she learned the times tables) Any number times 9, if you add their digits together, it will add up to 9
ex: 9x5=45 (4+5=9)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:48 pm
Thanks for these. If anyone else has any more ideas please share. Thanks

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 12:39 am
advocate wrote:
In Persia, they had an 11 day week, so Esther had 11 different maidservants so that she could keep track of which day was Shabbos, and no one would realize she kept Shabbos because the weekday maids never saw her rest and the shabbos maid never saw her do work. Other cultures have had weeks of different lengths. (You can see a few examples in wikipedia under Week)

This wouldn't work. You would need 7 , otherwise the one for Shabbas would keep changing

mamma llama

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 1:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Dd 8 years old told me earlier today that she needs an interesting question/ information tidbit for school tomorrow. I told her we would do it later since it was a crazy evening and of course I forgot. TMI TMI Banging head Banging head
She is sleeping now and I’m not even sure if it’s for her Yiddish teacher or English.
If anyone has anything appropriate I would really appreciate it and then I can tell it to her in the morning.

Ask her in the morning and then bump this so we can be more helpful! Wink

b.chadash

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 5:53 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
This wouldn't work. You would need 7 , otherwise the one for Shabbas would keep changing

Correct. I am pretty sure the midrash says she had seven maids, one for each day of the week, so she would know when Shabbos is.

Perhaps they had an eleven day week at a different point in history?

singleagain

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 6:50 am
NY and NJ once has a custody battle over Ellis Island. Bc technically it's mostly in NJ but it's always been in NY culturally. This was in the 90s.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 7:40 am
Ok just spoke to dd she said it’s for tomorrow and it’s for her English teacher. Any interesting question, no guidelines. A friend of hers is using the question why do donuts have holes.
So just an interesting fact if anyone can help.
Thanks

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 7:41 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
English: (if she learned the times tables) Any number times 9, if you add their digits together, it will add up to 9
ex: 9x5=45 (4+5=9)

She actually learned this but it would be good otherwise.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 7:44 am
New York used to be called New Amsterdam, because the Dutch were the first to officially settle there. They named it after their capital city in the Netherlands.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 7:46 am
Ladybug larvae can eat up to 1,000 aphids a day. Adult ladybugs only eat around 100 aphids a day.

The larvae look like little 6 legged lizards.

It is considered bad luck to harm a ladybug, in every single culture where ladybugs live.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 9:34 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

It is considered bad luck to harm a ladybug, in every single culture where ladybugs live.

Except EY ;-D

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:08 am
Why are firetrucks red?

Because they have eight wheels and four people on them, and four plus eight makes twelve, and there are twelve inches in a foot, and one foot is a ruler, and Queen Elizabeth was a ruler, and Queen Elizabeth was also a ship, and the ship sailed the seas, and there were fish in the seas, and fish have fins, and the Finns fought the Russians, and the Russians are red, and fire trucks are always “Russian" around.

singleagain

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:14 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Why are firetrucks red?

Because they have eight wheels and four people on them, and four plus eight makes twelve, and there are twelve inches in a foot, and one foot is a ruler, and Queen Elizabeth was a ruler, and Queen Elizabeth was also a ship, and the ship sailed the seas, and there were fish in the seas, and fish have fins, and the Finns fought the Russians, and the Russians are red, and fire trucks are always “Russian" around.

That's a Siri answer.

Apparently it's debated, but might have something to do with paint color.. or standing out

http://www.wonderopolis.org/wo.....s-red

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:20 am
singleagain wrote:
That's a Siri answer.

Nah, I heard that one way before there was Siri.

singleagain

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:26 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Nah, I heard that one way before there was Siri.

Then a joke that Siri. Popularized.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children