Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Explain this to me please

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:35 pm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....9438/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....4449/

This is the corona virus strain my daughter had exactly a year ago. Reading up on this now it seems like this was the "novel" virus about 14 years ago.
So, people older and wiser than me- can you please share? was there such a hype then as well or is this taka so much more dangerous/deadly/contagious/drama worthy?

My other 'very important question' on this is as follows: is it fair to say that every single person exposed to this will catch it being that no one has immunity? or is there such a thing as being exposed and not getting sick?

For those getting a mild version of this virus (or any other infection for that matter) is it because their immune system is stronger and fights off/develops antibodies to the bug really fast or any other explanation that you can share please!

Tia!

happy chick

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:39 pm
I can't answer fully and I'm not aware of what you're talking about 14 yrs ago. But there are many ppl who are exposed to the flu virus and don't actually get the flu. I would assume it's the same thing. Or any other virus/bacteria someone is exposed to but doesn't get I'll from.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1489438/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....4449/

This is the corona virus strain my daughter had exactly a year ago. Reading up on this now it seems like this was the "novel" virus about 14 years ago.
So, people older and wiser than me- can you please share? was there such a hype then as well or is this taka so much more dangerous/deadly/contagious/drama worthy?

My other 'very important question' on this is as follows: is it fair to say that every single person exposed to this will catch it being that no one has immunity? or is there such a thing as being exposed and not getting sick?

For those getting a mild version of this virus (or any other infection for that matter) is it because their immune system is stronger and fights off/develops antibodies to the bug really fast or any other explanation that you can share please!

Tia!

I have all of these questions as well plus one more...
Are pregnant women considered more high risk?

Girl@Heart

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:45 pm
It is my understanding (I’m not a healthcare professional) that coronavis is a family of viruses. The strain we are dealing with now is a specific strain that only affected animals in the past, not people. Therefore no one has immunity to it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:46 pm
happy chick wrote:
I can't answer fully and I'm not aware of what you're talking about 14 yrs ago. But there are many ppl who are exposed to the flu virus and don't actually get the flu. I would assume it's the same thing. Or any other virus/bacteria someone is exposed to but doesn't get I'll from.

Right, but I guess with flu you can theoretically say you've been exposed to it at one point and got some immunity to it already?
I mean in the past few months we had the following viruses circulating in my house and b'H others didn't get sick:

Adenovirus,
rhino/entero
flu B
parainfluenza
RSV

(this off the top of my head and these were the viruses tested- plenty more went around)

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:52 pm
I think the media is taking full advantage of the situation and hyping it up so they can bring the economy down and then blame Trump

happy chick

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 11:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right, but I guess with flu you can theoretically say you've been exposed to it at one point and got some immunity to it already?
I mean in the past few months we had the following viruses circulating in my house and b'H others didn't get sick:

Adenovirus,
rhino/entero
flu B
parainfluenza
RSV

(this off the top of my head and these were the viruses tested- plenty more went around)

But every year there is a new strain of the flu which is why the vaccine is only an educated guess and doesn't always prevent the flu. So even if someone has already been exposed to it, not necessarily were they exposed to the same strain of the virus.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics