Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Voice overs/voice acting it narrating career

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 1:31 pm
Any body have any advice or any comments, I'm wondering if I should pursue this as a career, if it's suitable for me and if it's possible to make decent money...how to go about jumping in , learning more and finding leads...tia!

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 1:49 pm
I don't have any advice, but I will be following this thread!

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 12:34 am
Bump. Just wondering if there are any tznius implications regarding voice overs.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 12:42 am
Voice acting these days I think is mainly still done by the same people who do on screen acting. How would an unknown get into it without connections? Maybe if your voice is very unusual? Is there a demand for it outside of mainstream entertainment?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 12:47 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Voice acting these days I think is mainly still done by the same people who do on screen acting. How would an unknown get into it without connections? Maybe if your voice is very unusual? Is there a demand for it outside of mainstream entertainment?

Many commercials and every radio ad have a voice in the background...
My voice is kind of unusual in that I can make myself sound like a child or an adult or a weird alien.

If I could get hired, is it okay?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 12:51 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Many commercials and every radio ad have a voice in the background...
My voice is kind of unusual in that I can make myself sound like a child or an adult or a weird alien.

If I could get hired, is it okay?

Talking, why not? Singing you may have to work around. There are agencies for commercial actors I think. Not sure if they'd do voice only?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 12:54 am
Talking, why not? Singing you may have to work around. There are agencies for commercial actors I think. Not sure if they'd do voice only?

That part I'll have to look into. Thanks for responding! Smile

Smile1234

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 1:00 am
You can freelance on voices.com for starters

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 1:09 am
Smile1234 wrote:
You can freelance on voices.com for starters

Thank you!

cbsp

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 1:41 am

Sure there is a demand. Think every automated system you've interacted with on the phone - someone sat in a studio recording every one of those prompts. Or think of your GPS (Waze, etc) May not be as glamorous as an actual movie but it is certainly a career.

OP, there's a frum professionally trained voice actor named Yaakov Berger. He lives in Lakewood and is pretty active on LinkedIn. Seems like a nice person, maybe he wouldn't mind sharing his thoughts on the matter.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 1:51 am
My public speaking teacher in high school did professional voice acting. She started out voicing dolls and other kids’ toys, if I remember correctly.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 1:59 am
Thanks all of you!

myname1

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 4:18 am
I know textbook publishing companies also use voice talent for online material- slideshows or whatever that have audio but nobody on screen.

singleagain

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 7:51 am
I remember reading somewhere (maybe in reader's digest) that a guy was standing to close to the tube tracks and someone said "hey didn't you listen to the voice that says to stand clear of the tracks." And he said "why I don't listen to her at home" it was the husband of the voice lady. LOL

CatLady

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 8:31 am
With the rise in popularity of audiobooks, this is probably a good career move. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries