Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Honest question about wig ...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 7:09 am
I’m in my 40’s.. (happen to have good skin so give a younger appearance I’ve been told)
I’m 5 ft tall
I’m about 10 lbs more than I should be..
My question about my shaitel...
I just don’t like my new wigs. They are a little past my shoulders.. my kids and my shaitel macher claim that I need to wear it (at least)this length for style purposes... I think it just doesn’t do anything for someone short and chubby—
Even though to be in style people are wearing long, would someone my height and weight (&age) look better in above shoulder length?
When is it ok to go short? When does it look good instead of making a statement that I’m out of it?

thriver

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 7:17 am
Do what looks best on you! Go for it! I don’t believe you will regret it.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 7:31 am
40 is certainly ok to rock a midi look.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 7:36 am
Wear whatever length and style flatter your face.

Some women always look best in short hair. Some need volume, so even though the super flat lace top is in style, there's no reason to buy it.

Honestly, I find it a little creepy when I walk into a room and everyone has the same hair.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 7:45 am
SuperWify wrote:
40 is certainly ok to rock a midi look.

The thing is, people in my age bracket who are fashionable are wearing very long. They are also usually a lot taller and thinner than I am.
Btw- 40 is not that old.. I still have little kids.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 7:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The thing is, people in my age bracket who are fashionable are wearing very long. They are also usually a lot taller and thinner than I am.

This whole sheital thing is so strange.
I'm in that age bracket, and I don't cover my hair, neither do most in my community.
Women our age generally keep their natural hair shorter than shoulder length.
It looks rather artificial for women past 40 to sport very long, glossy, full hair. I mean, yes some do, but for it to be the reigning fashion for all?

I

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 7:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don’t understand how or why long hair/Shaitel became associated with youth. I personally dislike the look of long hair/Shaitel’s, period. Ive never had long hair and I’ve beeen wearing shoulder length or shorter Shaitel’s since I got married in my early 30s. Wear whatever you want!

SuperWify

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 8:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Not old at all. Where did I say you are old?
But not a teen and not 20.

And I dont think that for women over 40 wearing very long wigs flatter them at all. Sometimes it even looks silly.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 8:09 am
Wear what looks good on you. That's timeless. It would be a shame to wear something that you don't look good in just to "fit in".
Take pictures of yourself in your wigs. See if you're happy with the shape your face has when you wear them. If not, you'll just look back at old pictures in later years and think that it was silly. Cut and make yourself feel pretty.
And who knows. Maybe just an inch or so would make the difference for you.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Mar 06 2020, 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Iymnok

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 8:20 am
I think a cute short style could look cute on anyone. I’m all for it. You do you, not them.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 8:24 am
I wore a long wig for one year of marriage at 20 and switched to shoulder length. I'm 26 and super fashionable. And btw lobs especially with highlights /ombre are very in
Questions like this baffle me. You will always be in style when you look good. Anna wintour had never changed her haircut and it's a pretty distinct one.

Emotional

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 8:27 am
I agree that the very long wigs look silly on most people. They look theatrical and unnatural.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 9:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m in my 40’s.. (happen to have good skin so give a younger appearance I’ve been told)
I’m 5 ft tall
I’m about 10 lbs more than I should be..
My question about my shaitel...
I just don’t like my new wigs. They are a little past my shoulders.. my kids and my shaitel macher claim that I need to wear it (at least)this length for style purposes... I think it just doesn’t do anything for someone short and chubby—
Even though to be in style people are wearing long, would someone my height and weight (&age) look better in above shoulder length?
When is it ok to go short? When does it look good instead of making a statement that I’m out of it?

There is no rule book. You do what works for you. And age is not so much of a factor than what looks good on you. You need to consider the shape of your face. Is it round or long? Short hair on round face, can make some people look heavier. What are your best features? A middle part can highlight a nose, or it can bring out your eyes. What about your neck, short or long, thin or thick? Depending on where the length of your wig hits, it can make you look taller or shorter. Short layers to your face with longer hair in the back, can highlight your cheekbones. Bangs brings out the eyes. Etc....

I've seen people with the latest fashionable wigs, but it does them a disservice. Not every face can carry the latest style (and the same goes for body types). Focus on what looks best on you, and you'll look amazing and feel so comfortable with yourself.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 10:04 am
I agree that not everyone should wear a long wig as they age, but my natural hair was and is very long and full, and so is my sheitel. It looks like me! And I get tons of compliments and "what sheitel is that, where did you get it" etc. So I doubt it looks inappropriate. Oh, and I have very honest teens and friends. My teens would DEFINITELY lmk if it didn't look great, lol

tigerwife

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 10:10 am
Short is chic. Go for it.

Ok1

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:12 am
Yes short is very chic and neat...and btw very short is very in now...don’t cut all your shaitels right away start with one see if you like it...you don’t want to jump in and then regret it...

heidi

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:50 am
I'm your height.
A decade older than you.
Just bought a new shaitel.
A little height on top bcz flat would look awful on my round face.
Chin length for the same reason.
Do what looks good on you.
Not what style demands.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 3:06 am
I had always dream to cut my wigs short cause I really go for the look and I know I look fantastic in it . Yet whenever I buy a new wig I walk into salon asking to cut short ... the sheitelmachers ALWAYS convince me not to cut , they claim that a new wig u wont wanna cut. so I go with the flow. But I hope one day to become strong and listen to myself rather then the sheitelmscher. My dream is to cut chin length all my wigs . I had already scheduled an appointment to cut my old wig, and if I really like it, im planning to change all my wigs into short wigs.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 3:21 am
I like super short. It draws the eyes upward.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics