Home

Corona vs Measles
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Sat, Mar 07 2020, 10:07 pm
Now that the noose is tightening on the world as more and more across the globe are diagnosed with the virus, I can’t help but contrast our reactions to corona virus vs measles.

Whereas most of us vaccinated people were at no risk to the measles due to being vaccinated, the uproar and fear that people had was so “noisy.”

And now corona virus, here it is. Nothing you can do to prevent it. Don’t even know how people are getting it. We wait in awe, quietly to find out how it will affect/infect us.
Back to top

amother




Mustard
 

Post  Sat, Mar 07 2020, 10:13 pm
honestly do not understand your post or what you are trying to say

why compare the two

this is a wholly unique event what is going on here in the world now

we really need to concentrate on that

teshuva tzedaka tefillah
Back to top

amother




Tangerine
 

Post  Sat, Mar 07 2020, 10:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Now that the noose is tightening on the world as more and more across the globe are diagnosed with the virus, I can’t help but contrast our reactions to corona virus vs measles.

Whereas most of us vaccinated people were at no risk to the measles due to being vaccinated, the uproar and fear that people had was so “noisy.”

And now corona virus, here it is. Nothing you can do to prevent it. Don’t even know how people are getting it. We wait in awe, quietly to find out how it will affect/infect us.


Its rather noisy where I live.
Back to top

amother




Aqua
 

Post  Sat, Mar 07 2020, 10:31 pm
I get the OP.

With measles, because there is a vaccine, people reacted totally differently. People were angry, they blamed a lot, they felt it was preventable and in general took G-d out of the picture.

And now, people are afraid, trying to do their best to protect themselves, and waiting to see the situation unfold, relying on G-d to help us.
Back to top

amother




Aqua
 

Post  Sat, Mar 07 2020, 10:36 pm
Just to add: There are two ironic facts that I can't ignore.

1) NY was the epi-center in the US for measles and now corona too. I'm not sure what the message here is, but somehow it feels like a tit-for-tat.

2) The peak of the measles outbreak was exactly a year ago.
Back to top

amother




Amber
 

Post  Sat, Mar 07 2020, 10:43 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Just to add: There are two ironic facts that I can't ignore.

1) NY was the epi-center in the US for measles and now corona too. I'm not sure what the message here is, but somehow it feels like a tit-for-tat.

2) The peak of the measles outbreak was exactly a year ago.


I don't see any irony. More corona cases in NY, but NY is more populated so that's no surprise. The epicenter? I would say that's Washington State with all those deaths r"l.

What's the connection to measles?
Back to top

Jeanette




 
 
 
 

Post  Sat, Mar 07 2020, 10:51 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I get the OP.

With measles, because there is a vaccine, people reacted totally differently. People were angry, they blamed a lot, they felt it was preventable and in general took G-d out of the picture.

And now, people are afraid, trying to do their best to protect themselves, and waiting to see the situation unfold, relying on G-d to help us.


Refusing to take necessary precautions such as vaccinating or quarantining as directed IS taking G-d out of the picture. The Torah clearly commands us ונשמרתם על נפשותיכם
Back to top

amother




Aqua
 

Post  Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:13 am
Jeanette wrote:
Refusing to take necessary precautions such as vaccinating or quarantining as directed IS taking G-d out of the picture. The Torah clearly commands us ונשמרתם על נפשותיכם


Vaccinating and quarantining aren't the same thing. At all.

V'nishmartem is for a person to watch their own health. Self-quarantine to protect oneself makes sense. Force-quarantining others who are healthy, unvaccinated, and not knowingly exposed to the disease and blaming them for not doing so does not fall under this mitzvah.
Back to top

Jeanette




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:41 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Vaccinating and quarantining aren't the same thing. At all.

V'nishmartem is for a person to watch their own health. Self-quarantine to protect oneself makes sense. Force-quarantining others who are healthy, unvaccinated, and not knowingly exposed to the disease and blaming them for not doing so does not fall under this mitzvah.


Nope, not how it works, sorry.

In a public health situation, our obligation is to follow the guidelines of public health officials to keep ALL of us safe. It's not an each-for-himself situation where as long as I'm safe who cares what happens to anyone else.
Back to top

amother




Aqua
 

Post  Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:08 am
Jeanette wrote:
Nope, not how it works, sorry.

In a public health situation, our obligation is to follow the guidelines of public health officials to keep ALL of us safe. It's not an each-for-himself situation where as long as I'm safe who cares what happens to anyone else.


Whatever.

If you see no resemblance between these two outbreaks, move on over to the next thread.
Back to top

amother




Mint
 

Post  Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:14 am
Imagine the first person in NY to have Corona would be a chasssidic or ultra yeshivish Jew.

Oy
Back to top

southernbubby




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:19 am
I did read that what we learned about containing the measles virus can now be put to use for this outbreak.
Back to top

amother




Aqua
 

Post  Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:28 am
southernbubby wrote:
I did read that what we learned about containing the measles virus can now be put to use for this outbreak.

I'll believe it when I see it - in action.
Back to top

amother




Vermilion
 

Post  Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:33 am
Jeanette wrote:
Nope, not how it works, sorry.

In a public health situation, our obligation is to follow the guidelines of public health officials to keep ALL of us safe. It's not an each-for-himself situation where as long as I'm safe who cares what happens to anyone else.

No, she's right. People who knowingly spread measles aren't oiver on v'neshmartem, but on Shefichat Damim.
Back to top

amother




Seashell
 

Post  Sun, Mar 08 2020, 5:41 am
Because I’m a selfish young mommy and my family (with a newborn at the time) was extremely at risk from measles but is in the lowest risk group for corona complications.
Measles put my entire life on hold and I couldn’t leave my house for weeks. Corona isn’t dangerous to us it seems.

On a very different level: measles is airborne while corona isn’t. Much easier to protect yourself by washing hands from corona.
Back to top

chanchy123




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Mar 08 2020, 5:55 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Because I’m a selfish young mommy and my family (with a newborn at the time) was extremely at risk from measles but is in the lowest risk group for corona complications.
Measles put my entire life on hold and I couldn’t leave my house for weeks. Corona isn’t dangerous to us it seems.

On a very different level: measles is airborne while corona isn’t. Much easier to protect yourself by washing hands from corona.


Covid 19 is airborne. It is extremely contagious. Anyone within 1.5-2 meters (about eight feet) from a carrier is at risk of contracting the virus. While you may not be at risk to die of the disease you must be in contact with people who are at risk and you may infect them. Young people are less likely to suffer severely from the virus but young healthy people are not completely immune, they still may become critically ill or die.
I don’t know where you live but not leaving your home for weeks because of the measles sounds very extreme.
Back to top

amother




Chartreuse
 

Post  Sun, Mar 08 2020, 6:25 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Imagine the first person in NY to have Corona would be a chasssidic or ultra yeshivish Jew.

Oy
read about the fifty year old lawyer who is a member of young isreal of new Rochelle. Who is in the hospital a thousand members are is self quarantined many members have it the rabbi his wife five students
All Jewish schools had to be closed and sar I’m the bronx and some public schools all purim events are canceled
People who went to a carnival on March 1st have to be self quarantined additional days from
The first break out
Back to top

Iymnok




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Mar 08 2020, 6:53 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Just to add: There are two ironic facts that I can't ignore.

1) NY was the epi-center in the US for measles and now corona too. I'm not sure what the message here is, but somehow it feels like a tit-for-tat.

2) The peak of the measles outbreak was exactly a year ago.


Nope, Seattle (or its suburbs) for both. The difference is the locations is the density of gatherings and closeness of community. In the beginning they were similar, the diseases just had the opportunity to spread more in New York.
Back to top

southernbubby




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Mar 08 2020, 7:08 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Covid 19 is airborne. It is extremely contagious. Anyone within 1.5-2 meters (about eight feet) from a carrier is at risk of contracting the virus. While you may not be at risk to die of the disease you must be in contact with people who are at risk and you may infect them. Young people are less likely to suffer severely from the virus but young healthy people are not completely immune, they still may become critically ill or die.
I don’t know where you live but not leaving your home for weeks because of the measles sounds very extreme.


A lot of people in Monsey didn't take babies out in public during the measles outbreak on the advice of doctors.
Back to top

amother




Seashell
 

Post  Sun, Mar 08 2020, 7:28 am
southernbubby wrote:
A lot of people in Monsey didn't take babies out in public during the measles outbreak on the advice of doctors.


Exactly. I’m in New York and my baby was born mid outbreak. I had no one home to watch her so I had to stay home with her.

All the research I’ve seen says that the main concern with covid-19 is formites and putting your hands in your mouth after. Measles stayed airborne much more.
Back to top
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Are driving permits extended because of Corona?
by amother
0 Sun, Jul 12 2020, 4:02 pm View last post
Changes due to corona
by amother
5 Wed, Jul 08 2020, 2:36 pm View last post
Upstairs neighbor has corona
by amother
15 Tue, Jun 23 2020, 8:31 pm View last post
Camp Corona :) how are you entertaining 2 Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:58 am View last post
Planning a wedding in the world of corona israel
by amother
12 Wed, Jun 17 2020, 9:51 am View last post

Jump to: