Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
This makes me think the coronavirus isnt so worrisome
Previous  1  2

IrenaFr

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:28 pm
This makes me be even more worrisome :
Just look at those numbers
Anyone in their right mind can say that this is “like a flu”??
Like “you will probably won’t even notice”?
How they even dare to say that ???
Young people do not feel immune to Coronavirus. An analysis by the Higher Institute of Health reveals that in all age groups it is necessary to respect the rules of social distancing to avoid contagion.

One in five people, among those tested so far positive for the swab, is in fact between 19 and 50 years old.
"These days the news reports many examples of violations of the recommendations, especially by young people - underlines Silvio Brusaferro, president of the ISS -. These data confirm how all age groups contribute to the spread of the infection, and unfortunately the effects the worst are affecting frail elderly people. Giving up a party or an aperitif with friends, not leaving the area where you live and giving up returning home is a duty to protect your health and that of others, especially the most fragile ".

The analysis, out of 8342 positive cases, shows that 1.4 percent are under 19 years of age, 22.0 percent are in the 19-50 range, 37.4 percent between 51 and 70 and 39 , 2 percent are over 70 years old, for a median age of 65 years. 62.1 percent are men.

The ISS analysis estimates the median time elapsed between the date of onset of symptoms and diagnosis in 3-4 days. 10 percent of cases are asymptomatic, 5 percent with few symptoms, 30 percent with mild symptoms, 31 percent are symptomatic, 6 percent have severe symptoms and 19 percent critical. 24 percent of the cases examined are hospitalized.

Google translate from Italian newspaper
https://www.repubblica.it/cron.....earch

IrenaFr

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:30 pm
24% of the cases are hospitalized! Are you ready that quarter of all the people who get this virus will end up in the hospital???

IrenaFr

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:37 pm
Why I am writing those really scaring statistics , not only to understand why the whole Italy now in lock down , but to give people a message - PLEASE be careful! Please don’t go to unnecessary meetings ! We still can stop this virus from spreading! Don’t think it’s “just a flu”! If we all practice “social distancing” NOW it will be much better for everyone.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 11:13 pm
Here's what's going to happen. Remember, all of these people can transmit COVID-19:

10 percent of cases are asymptomatic, 5 percent with few symptoms. This group will probably assume that they are allergic to something that is blooming this time of year.

30 percent with mild symptoms, 31 percent are symptomatic. This group will assume it's just a bad cold, or seasonal flu. They'll take some Benadryl, and not give it a second thought.

6 percent have severe symptoms and 19 percent critical. 24 percent of the cases examined are hospitalized. This is the only group that will actually get tested, and included in the reported COVID-19 statistics. The other groups will go uncounted because they never got sick enough to fly over the radar.

Quote:
IrenaFR
24% of the cases are hospitalized! Are you ready that quarter of all the people who get this virus will end up in the hospital???

You misread it. 24% of the cases EXAMINED. That means the percentage of people who were ill enough to get tested in the first place. The people with milder symptoms are not included in those statistics, because they never thought they were sick enough to go for a test. If you sneeze, and think it's an allergy, you don't go running to the doctor and say you have Coronavirus. Therefore, even though you do have the virus, you don't get counted towards that 24%.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 11:18 pm
China created multiple hospitals in WEEKS. They were prepared. Yes people get better and that's great, but if the US isn't able to keep up with the care... Then a lot of people also won't get better unfortunately.

penguin

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 11:37 pm
Also don't forget this 100 year old Chinese man was treated with traditional Chinese medicine.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 12:54 am
if you like one person studies perhaps look at the 32 year old guy on a respirator in the hospital: he described it vividly with many symptoms culminating in difficulty breathing R"L. A cold or flu? nope and nope.
Panicking? again nope.
Taking this very seriously and doing what I can to minimize my risk and my family's and those around me while appreciating and enjoying life definitely YES>

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 1:00 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
if you like one person studies perhaps look at the 32 year old guy on a respirator in the hospital: he described it vividly with many symptoms culminating in difficulty breathing R"L. A cold or flu? nope and nope.
Panicking? again nope.
Taking this very seriously and doing what I can to minimize my risk and my family's and those around me while appreciating and enjoying life definitely YES>

where did he describe it?

chanchy123

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 1:07 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Panicking? again nope.

Or the 25 year old nurse from Iran who caught the virus from her patients and died. BH that’s not how science works.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 6:13 am
And there's another angle to consider before dismissing all concerns:

Great Ormond Street children’s hospital has cancelled surgery on children with serious heart problems for two weeks after a health professional there contracted the coronavirus.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 6:20 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
rockland now has four cases of carona virus
westchster has more they closed all the scarsdale schools now all the jewish schools are still closed

Just wondering what the threat is in Rocklsnd. I heard two were not Jewish, so likely not at shul etc. What about the other two? Is everyone quarentined who should be?

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 8:50 am
Just passing on: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS

Last evening dining out with friends, one of their uncles, who's graduated with a master's degree and who worked in Shenzhen Hospital (Guangdong Province, China) sent him the following notes on Coronavirus for guidance:
1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can't emphasise enough - drink plenty of water!
THE SYMPTOMS
1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.
SPREAD THE WORD - PLEASE SHARE.

IrenaFr

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 9:19 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Here's what's going to happen. Remember, [b]all of these people can transmit COVID-19:

You misread it. 24% of the cases EXAMINED. That means the percentage of people who were ill enough to get tested in the first place. The people with milder symptoms are not included in those statistics, because they never thought they were sick enough to go for a test. If you sneeze, and think it's an allergy, you don't go running to the doctor and say you have Coronavirus. Therefore, even though you do have the virus, you don't get counted towards that 24%.

In the beginning Italians were testing all the contacts , not just the people with symptoms, that’s how they got to the conclusion that 10% are not showing any symptoms. Otherwise, how would they know ???
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics