Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
How do you start a Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) group in my co

Amalia

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 12:17 pm
My 14-year old son loves playing Dungeons and Dragons (D&D). How can we start a peer Dungeons and Dragons group in our community (Clifton, NJ)?

Thank you

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:57 pm
Dang it, I was hoping we could start an imamother D&D game!!!

I play with my boys (10 and 7), and when my father came to visit, we taught him how to play and he totally understood the appeal and got into his character and backstory and everything. Huzzah!!

I don’t have time before Pesach, but we may try to continue our campaign online using Roll20.com so that Zeidy can have some regular bonding time with his grandsons and me.

Personal anecdotes aside, back to you OP —

• Do you prefer for your teen to play with other Jewish kids, or at least a more supervised environment to have less swearing, s-xual content, etc? Our local gaming store has weekly D&D games that are open to the public with reservations and a small fee; our local library is going to have a game in the spring! (We’re going mainstream!)

• Does your son want to play, or DM? If he’s willing to teach other people how to play, would any of his friends or classmates be willing to try a one-shot and see where it goes from there?

• What about parents? My 17 year old brother started playing in 8th grade when his friend’s father pulled out some dusty 1e boxes, and there’s a group of dads at my hometown shul who get together now to play for the first time since they were teenagers themselves. Multigenerational D&D is great!

Amalia

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:54 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Dang it, I was hoping we could start an imamother D&D game!!!

I play with my boys (10 and 7), and when my father came to visit, we taught him how to play and he totally understood the appeal and got into his character and backstory and everything. Huzzah!!

I don’t have time before Pesach, but we may try to continue our campaign online using Roll20.com so that Zeidy can have some regular bonding time with his grandsons and me.

Personal anecdotes aside, back to you OP —

• Do you prefer for your teen to play with other Jewish kids, or at least a more supervised environment to have less swearing, s-xual content, etc? Our local gaming store has weekly D&D games that are open to the public with reservations and a small fee; our local library is going to have a game in the spring! (We’re going mainstream!)

• Does your son want to play, or DM? If he’s willing to teach other people how to play, would any of his friends or classmates be willing to try a one-shot and see where it goes from there?

• What about parents? My 17 year old brother started playing in 8th grade when his friend’s father pulled out some dusty 1e boxes, and there’s a group of dads at my hometown shul who get together now to play for the first time since they were teenagers themselves. Multigenerational D&D is great!

Hey, bigsis,

Thanks so much for replying!

Yes, he asked around in his school - the kids are not interested. We (the parents) tried to play it with him, but what he really needs is Jewish kids his age.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 9:11 pm
Do you belong to the OLUF (orthodox ladies united in fandom) Facebook group? The group itself is for women, but it’s good for nerdy networking
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics