Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
S/O what were ppl thinking??
1  2  Next

mrs me

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 12:39 pm
This is a spin-off of the thread about pregnant women drawing attention to their bellies on Purim ...

I also thought “what are ppl thinking??” On Purim but it wasn’t about pregnant bellies... it was about all the costumes related to caronavirus... I get that sometimes we need a bit of comic relief in a crisis but I’m pretty blown away by the insensitivity towards those actually infected and especially towards those who lost loved ones that died from this illness ...

Would anyone make a Purim costume about cancer??? Why is this ok?

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 12:44 pm
mrs me wrote:
This is a spin-off of the thread about pregnant women drawing attention to their bellies on Purim ...

I also thought “what are ppl thinking??” On Purim but it wasn’t about pregnant bellies... it was about all the costumes related to caronavirus... I get that sometimes we need a bit of comic relief in a crisis but I’m pretty blown away by the insensitivity towards those actually infected and especially towards those who lost loved ones that died from this illness ...

Would anyone make a Purim costume about cancer??? Why is this ok?

I felt the same way. It's very tacky.

Also I noticed some ladies in very attention getting costumes. Before I became religious Halloween was my jam. Best excuse to dress provocatively. I couldn't help but think these ladies would have gone all out for Halloween of they weren't religious.

mommy9

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 12:46 pm
I see pregnant women dressing in tight clothing over their bellies all year

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:13 pm
I think the coronavirus costumes were not the most offensive.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:20 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I think the coronavirus costumes were not the most offensive.

So which ones were the most offensive?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:21 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
So which ones were the most offensive?

As always, blackface, Native American, etc.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:32 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
As always, blackface, Native American, etc.

I don't think so. In Belgium, they dress up as Jews with big noses at their yearly festivals. They continue to do so after they are told its offensive to us.

But we mustn't dress up as different minorities even if its without any offensive undertones like big body parts.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:40 pm
I got a shaloch manos in new rochelle ny where 1000 people from young isreal of new rochelle are quuarantined and 70 members have it
a bottle of carona and some peanuts

freilich

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:40 pm
I think the jokes going around about Corona as well as the dress up, isn't meant to be offensive. Throughout the times we Jews have used black humor to get us thru. We learned to diffuse serious situations by making light of it.

This is not like cancer, or any other sickness. This is a sudden scare we are all having on a communal basis.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 2:24 pm
No different then dressing up as cancer IMO

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:23 pm
Americans are scared of Carona beer, but sales are up 5%.
https://www.barrons.com/articl.....10529

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 4:19 pm
Oh good lord, OP this is black humor. Have you heard of it? People are poking fun at the very thing that is difficult to deal with or that is difficult in their lives at that moment.
Its like when Israelis joke about sirens, rockets, stabbings. They arent really making jokes, but its one of the ways of dealing with it. HUMOR!!!

Its not meant to be offensive at all.

mrs me

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 4:42 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I don't think so. In Belgium, they dress up as Jews with big noses at their yearly festivals. They continue to do so after they are told its offensive to us.

But we mustn't dress up as different minorities even if its without any offensive undertones like big body parts.

They are intentionally trying to offend us in that case

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 4:58 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:

So we must adopt the standards of the anti-Semites and apply it to our own behavior, which obligates us to be racist?

Genius

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 5:26 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
So we must adopt the standards of the anti-Semites and apply it to our own behavior, which obligates us to be racist?

Miss Tan it seems like you didn’t read paragraph two

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 5:35 pm
We are a bubble wrapped generation. Seriously NOTHING is ok, EVERYTHING is offensive, and everything is HORRIFYING, how COULD they?! :Eye roll:

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 5:42 pm
genius wrote:
Miss Tan it seems like you didn’t read paragraph two

Why? Was it intended literally, with no sarcasm?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 5:42 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
We are a bubble wrapped generation. Seriously NOTHING is ok, EVERYTHING is offensive, and everything is HORRIFYING, how COULD they?! :Eye roll:

The Torah is against deliberately offending people.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 5:53 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:

And yet the older generations continue to be offended by our taking offence. Your post, for example.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:00 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
And yet the older generations continue to be offended by our taking offence. Your post, for example.

I am not the older generation I am actually quite young Wink
Also, I am not offended by you being offended, ain't no one got time for that. I just find it sad and rather stupid that we all get our 'knickers in a twist' because someone dressed up as something we didn't like Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics