Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Shushan Purim
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:29 am
Please explain why the kids have no school Shushan Purim and why girls high school have off taanis Esther.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:34 am
Because why not. Any excuse to not have school or work

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:36 am
Because it would be impossible for my kids to go to school today. They went to sleep after 1 the past 2 nights. The teachers are not supposed to take care of my koo koo kids.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:37 am
today is my hebrew birthday !

my mama

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:41 am
Happy birthday!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please explain why the kids have no school Shushan Purim and why girls high school have off taanis Esther.

They had off the whole day and not just half day like other taaneisim?

miami85

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:04 am
PinkFridge wrote:

I don't know in your specific situation, when I was in high school we had school taanis esther until mincha--davened with the high school boys' minyan and then we went home.

Most schools in the U.S. must comply with 180 educational days, each school decides how to break them up and which days are off. Some schools are able to finagle some days due to Sundays or longer days, or are a chassidish school that doesn't abide by that rule, but ultimately they must be government compliant.

Before complaining about "how come...day off?" please count your school's calendar to ascertain if they are meeting the 180 day quota. Schools are not "babysitters" and do not have to "work around your work schedule". Teachers are humans too, sometimes they need a break that's not yom tov or a legal holiday. Sometimes its from experience that that day is too difficult and "not worth it.", sometimes its a day for teachers to work on grades or professional development. Even public schools have "random days off" at times for clerical reasons or professional development.

Many schools that I know of don't have serious days on Shushan Purim knowing how many adults and kids are "hungover" from sugar/alcohol/lack of sleep.

ddmom

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:15 am
Why does it bother you if high schools girls are off on taanis esther?
That kids are off today, I hear it could be a problem, even if in my house I don't mind at all. I don't think it's too much to have an extra day!!
Think about the poor teachers managing a whole bunch of sleep deprived sugar overloaded bunch of kids... LOL

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:21 am
PinkFridge wrote:

Yes no school in Lakewood today.
My kids are soooo bored. And eating bucketloads of sugar.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:31 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Because it would be impossible for my kids to go to school today. They went to sleep after 1 the past 2 nights. The teachers are not supposed to take care of my koo koo kids.

Thank you!! This . Unless they would start school at noon , I don't see it reasonable to expect kids to sit quietly and learn after eating 10x their usual sugar intake within 24 hours and staying up late (megillah reading was after 8 pm! ) and seudah always ends late .

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:36 am
There’s no way I could have gotten my kids out the door on time this morning. Or that my husband could get up for his usual 6am minyan so he can be home when I have to leave for work. After walking in the door at 9 last night and being up thanks to Purim party music till midnight the day before we were pooped.

Having “taught” shushan Purim before- there’s no learning happening. It’s a day of partying and expensive programming for overtired and sugared kids. When it’s on a Friday it’s doable, but a full day is torture for everyone involved.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 12:12 pm
I'm a teacher that worked today! The kids were crazy!! But parents have to work so I understand why the daycare stayed open...

mha3484

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 12:27 pm
I would have loved a late start today but at least for my oldest son one of his school rebbeim does trips on shushan purim and pre pesach days so he has something to do. My little kids are more chilled about going on errands with DH.

smss

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:10 pm
Look, if this is about you having to work I hear you and empathize, but if it's just about not wanting to deal with your exhausted, kvetchy kids I really really don't.

dankbar

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:19 pm
Hi school girls can help you on Taanis Esther.

my nursery girl was off all week. This year the calendar just worked this way. Her last day in school was Friday & going back on Thursday.

Chaya123

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:20 pm
bec they're exhausted and off schedule and sleeping off the exhaustion and nosh. Wish I had the day off too!

shanie5

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:53 pm
By us they start school at 10am. And have a carnival run by the 8th grade.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:54 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
today is my hebrew birthday !

Mine too!!

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 4:30 pm
we are twins its easy to know when youre hebrew birthday is its always shushan purim !

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I think it's very obvious, but I'll explain anyway. We always had a half day on fast days, because it's very hard to concenrate and focus when you're fasting. Even the bit of school we have is almost a waste (including Tzom Gedalia, 10th of Teves and taanis Esther). Its hard on teachers to teach when they're fasting as well. as a teacher, I find that half the kids are missing, and the ones who come are listless and irritable.
On Taanis Esther there's an additional reason and that is to prepare for Purim, just like we have a half day (or no school) on every other Erev yom tov. There's tons to do before the big day!
On Shushan Purim, my little kids started late and ended early. My big kids had no school.
The little kids usually come with their costumes and have either a parade or puppet show, or carnival type of thing. Its nice to extend Purim for a bit longer for the kids and let them revel in their costumes for another day and it's a big chesed to the parents to have the little kids out of the house. The big kids usually sleep in, since they had an exhausting day . I always have a major hangover from all the hard work on Purim and enjoy the few hours of quiet I get on Shushan Purim. My big kids help me get the house back to normal on shushan Purim.
Every Tom tov needs an "isru chag" /lazy day, to transition back into normal routine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics