Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Do you remember a virus or flu that was this bad?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:22 pm
Some people keep saying - eh, it's not so bad.

There were SARS and the swine flu and ebola that everyone thought was so bad and turned out not to be. This is just the same thing.

Since I'm young (low 20's) I don't remember the other ones well enough.

Those of you who do: Is it true that any of those were a similar scare as the coronavirus?

Or is this a lot greater?

elisheva25

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:24 pm
I don’t personally Rem anything like this, but historians say it’s similar to Spanish flu of 1918 .

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:25 pm
Imagine if the whole world got RSV for the first time at the same time. It would be a disaster. Now everyone gets it at some point in time and it’s dangerous for some but it’s not a disaster

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:27 pm
I remember the AIDS outbreak in the early 80s. Young healthy people were dying gruesome deaths, and it was spreading quickly. It took a while to get a grasp of what was happening and how the disease was spread.

It's not so bad to remember that Hashem can send plagues and that we are ultimately dependent on rachmei shamayim. We'll have to take all appropriate precautions and daven for good health.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:30 pm
Yes. Hepatitis A (before the vaccine was developed). My entire family was so sick. It was crazy.

When I think back I dont know how my mother handled this. All of us sick (I think she had 8 or 9 at that point) while she herself was so sick as well.

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:39 pm
No. The other illnesses you mentioned were bad but were contained much more easily, becasue they were so bad. With covid19 a person can be walking around shedding the virus because they feel fine.

I am too young to remember AIDS. I think for the gay community who were affected greatly it was very scary. But once they figured out what it was it is possible to protect yourself.

This is having a much geater impact on everyone's daily lives then other illnesses. Probably even than spanish flu - I don't think there was the same type of attempts to contain it back then.

Sleepymama

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:40 pm
I was around for SARS and swine flu and it wasn't like this at all. It was something I heard about on the news but it never effected anyone I knew and seemed like a pretty remote threat. Like the way we worry about ISIS or the possibility of getting cancer. It's a real concern but it's not changing your daily life. Nothing has ever been like this that I can remember.

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:41 pm
I'm 58 and I have not lived through anything like this.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:48 pm
Sleepymama wrote:
I was around for SARS and swine flu and it wasn't like this at all. It was something I heard about on the news but it never effected anyone I knew and seemed like a pretty remote threat. Like the way we worry about ISIS or the possibility of getting cancer. It's a real concern but it's not changing your daily life. Nothing has ever been like this that I can remember.

I know of two frum, middle aged, healthy men who died from the Swine flu. The media didn't talk about it as much then, but it was scary for those affected.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:49 pm
When I was a little girl, my grandfather told me how his grandfather and 4 younger siblings died in one week when he was a young boy of about 10.... He, his older brother, and parents survived (I don't think he was actually sick at all though he was in the same house). This happened in half his town in Hungary - many elderly and young children were affected. (he told me to behave at the doctor when I get shots, so I will be healthy....I had given my mother a run for the money.)

My sister has looked into it and said it was either the Spanish Flu or smallpox. Both happened in that era, we are not sure which it was. Don't think they knew.

thriver

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:54 pm
I wonder if it is extra hyped because of social media. Other epidemics may have been equally bad, but perhaps not as heard about. And the world in general is so much smaller in terms of contact so I would imagine it spreads further and more quickly in our day and age. 🤷🏻‍♀️

avrahamama

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 3:57 pm
I don't think our huge world has ever been this small before. Up until the travel restrictions people were able to be in 3 different countries on any given day. Travel quickly by train, plane, whatever...

It's definitely nerve wracking. And exhausting. Hashem should keep us all safe.

sky

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 4:05 pm
Raisin wrote:
No. The other illnesses you mentioned were bad but were contained much more easily, becasue they were so bad. With covid19 a person can be walking around shedding the virus because they feel fine.

I am too young to remember AIDS. I think for the gay community who were affected greatly it was very scary. But once they figured out what it was it is possible to protect yourself.

This is having a much geater impact on everyone's daily lives then other illnesses. Probably even than spanish flu - I don't think there was the same type of attempts to contain it back then.

St Louise went to extreme lengths to quarantine and it saved many lives. Iirc the had 1/2 the deaths of philly.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 4:10 pm
Sleepymama wrote:

One of my kids had the swine flu during the outbreak but nobody else in the family got it. He was very ill and developed pneumonia from it but he didn’t need to be hospitalized and recovered after a week

ora_43

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 4:13 pm
I remember the ebola outbreak being pretty bad. It was much more contained, but the fatality rate was nightmarishly high. Over 11,000 people died.

Swine flu went all over and a lot of people died (150,000 is the low estimate, some say over 500,000), but the fatality rate was much lower so it was treated more or less like seasonal flu.

Covid-19 is right on the border, dangerous enough that we can't afford to just let it spread freely, but not so incredibly deadly that people make a huge effort to avoid it from the get-go (and so keep it contained). I think it's unique in that way - in how far it's spread, in the reaction worldwide - but it isn't unique in being "that bad."

Goldie613

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 5:49 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
I don’t personally Rem anything like this, but historians say it’s similar to Spanish flu of 1918 .

I hope not! The Spanish flu killed a serious number of people and most of them had been young and healthy prior to that.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandem......html

BTW, here's an interesting article on social distancing and the 1918 flu as lessons for today.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news.....13oWe

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 5:58 pm
I don't understand how they can say it is the same as the Spanish FLu.
In 1918 hygiene was no where near like it is today, in some places there were only outhouses (if not most). People didn't have washing machines in their house, there wasn't even hospital tests and care to the extent we have today. It was a different era it was totally different.

I remember being afraid of Swine Flu, Bird Flu, SARS, and Ebola. Ebola I was terrified of as it was basically a death sentence and most people didn't recover from it. Bird Flu was when I was young but there were people in my city that had it and I remember being so so scared.

I am not sure what this covid19 is specifically like but I am not afraid of the virus as much as I am petrified of quarantine and the world being shut down as it is.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:09 pm
I am 57 and I never saw anything like that. I’m in LA and even it’s not here yet as much as other places I cancelled my flights my gym membership I don’t go to restaurants my kids are coming back from college. It is like a horror movie and everyone says we only starting. It is like the world had turned upside down and I don’t know what is next. No one knows.

invisiblecircus

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:18 pm
I remember the swine flu in 2009, my husband and I got it a week after our wedding. He got it first and we didn't realise what it was in the beginning because it was more like a mild cold, he didn't even take time off work. When my throat started bothering me one evening, it seemed to be something mild but an hour or to after going to bed that night I woke up feeling as if I was choking. I've had the flu before but this was very different. It took me 3 weeks to recover.

I don't remember how much hype there was about it but I don't think there was so many reports of people dying from it and certainly no restrictions as far as I am aware.

Last edited by invisiblecircus on Thu, Mar 12 2020, 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:18 pm
sky wrote:
St Louise went to extreme lengths to quarantine and it saved many lives. Iirc the had 1/2 the deaths of philly.

Much less than half.

Dr. Brian Monahan, the attending physician of the U.S. Congress, has predicted that 70 to 150 MILLION people, or 1/3 of the population, will contract coronavirus. Others have said between 20% and 60% of adults worldwide. If even 1% die, that's 700,000 to 1.5 million people in the US alone. If the 3% number is accurate, that's 2.1 million to 4.5 million deaths.

So no, no one has seen anything like this before.

Now I'm scaring myself.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics