Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Do you remember a virus or flu that was this bad?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:20 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Much less than half.

Dr. Brian Monahan, the attending physician of the U.S. Congress, has predicted that 70 to 150 MILLION people, or 1/3 of the population, will contract coronavirus. Others have said between 20% and 60% of adults worldwide. If even 1% die, that's 700,000 to 1.5 million people in the US alone. If the 3% number is accurate, that's 2.1 million to 4.5 million deaths.

So no, no one has seen anything like this before.

Now I'm scaring myself.

They are saying that the mortality rate is likely MUCH lower than 1%. The reason it looks so high is because they can't test everyone. Still a lot of deaths, but not quite millions.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:28 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
They are saying that the mortality rate is likely MUCH lower than 1%. The reason it looks so high is because they can't test everyone. Still a lot of deaths, but not quite millions.

No "they" are not saying that. Unless "they" are people who don't know what they're talking about.

It is lower for younger people, starting to rise at age 50. But overall, in places with large scale testing, its .7% to 1%. At least.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:28 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

Who says that?

Learning

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:29 pm
I heard it will stop until 80 percent of the world would get it and than we will have the immunity. It’s 6 billion. 1 percent of 6billion is 60 million

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:34 pm
Learning wrote:
I heard it will stop until 80 percent of the world would get it and than we will have the immunity. It’s 6 billion. 1 percent of 6billion is 60 million

Unless we find a treatment. Which we should all be davening for.

You can join my husband in praying that Israel finds the treatment, and offers the information free to any country that makes a formal request.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:37 pm
I remember the swine flu and it was not like this. I was in elementry school, and most of my class was out sick.
Many people got the swine flu and it was just like a very bad case of the flu. In bed for a week plus, but then we all got better b"H and it was fine. The doctor didn't even care to test to confirm that it was swine flu, because he said it doesn't matter and there is nothing to do about it anyways.
Here the fear factor is much bigger, but then it could be just because there is a lot more hype.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:49 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Unless we find a treatment. Which we should all be davening for.

You can join my husband in praying that Israel finds the treatment, and offers the information free to any country that makes a formal request.

We can't win. If we (israel) find the treatment then we'll be blamed for the whole thing starting in the first place. I was just reading comments on a YouTube video about the coronovirus, one randomly said 'if israel come up with a vaccination against it in under 6 months then we know who to blame for spreading it around' chutzpah!!

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:00 pm
Swine flu was scary. I know a chassidish pregnant mother of kids who passed away from complications of the swine flu. For some reason, I didn't see much in the news about it but that could be because I wasn't following as closely. I mean, I saw way more coverage on measles last year.

Ebola was scary because it was deadly but it was always this far away thing that didn't make sense to be scared of, like we're not traveling to Africa or mingling with people who came from there. The media did hype it up a lot but for some reason people just didn't think it relates to them, and also a vaccine didn't take too long to come out.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:17 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Who says that?

Try this for one: https://www.businessinsider.co.....korea (In South Korea, they tested far more people.)

In other studies, they've said as low as .16%. A lot depends on how prepared they are for handling the cases.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:25 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Swine flu was scary. I know a chassidish pregnant mother of kids who passed away from complications of the swine flu. For some reason, I didn't see much in the news about it but that could be because I wasn't following as closely. I mean, I saw way more coverage on measles last year.

Ebola was scary because it was deadly but it was always this far away thing that didn't make sense to be scared of, like we're not traveling to Africa or mingling with people who came from there. The media did hype it up a lot but for some reason people just didn't think it relates to them, and also a vaccine didn't take too long to come out.

There was so much sinas chinam going on during the measles outbreak.
So much bashing.
So much hype.
So much disrespect for big Rabbanim who were backing both sides.
So much crying bchiya shel chinam and so much hate.

Now there’s a much more serious reason to be nervous about, with NO vaccine.
And we know how it happened.
Still nobody is pointing fingers.
They just explained it happened from eating aiver min hachai (which gentiles are also not allowed to eat. It’s one of the sheva mitzvos Bnai Noach).
And still, nobody is blaming. Nobody is pointing fingers. Even though there’s a real blame there.
This should NOT have happened.
It’s interesting how overnight everyone became so nice and tolerant, even though it’s much more serious than the measles was.

IrenaFr

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Some people keep saying - eh, it's not so bad.

There were SARS and the swine flu and ebola that everyone thought was so bad and turned out not to be. This is just the same thing.

Since I'm young (low 20's) I don't remember the other ones well enough.

Those of you who do: Is it true that any of those were a similar scare as the coronavirus?

Or is this a lot greater?

SARS and Ebola were very scary but they were not as contagious and were stopped by quarantines .
Swine flu I don’t even remember, just the name .

Spanish flu in 1918 was more scary than covid 19. And no, even today we would have probably the same mortality- it was killing people too quickly and too effective. A person could be totally healthy at 8 AM and by 11 AM - dead . Or go outside, call for a cub to get somewhere and drop dead. Or tram could go until the last station and third of the people who got in on the first station, were dead.
And mostly the healthiest people age from 20 to 40 years old. And no nation even back then was spared. Many native people died , that were usually isolated from others. And their death rate were in 80% , much worse that in Europe or USA. I read two books describing the Spanish flu . It was so terrible that people didn’t want to write or tell about it, like holocaust survivors didn’t speak about their experience.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:50 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
There was so much sinas chinam going on during the measles outbreak.
So much bashing.
So much hype.
So much disrespect for big Rabbanim who were backing both sides.
So much crying bchiya shel chinam and so much hate.

Now there’s a much more serious reason to be nervous about, with NO vaccine.
And we know how it happened.
Still nobody is pointing fingers.
They just explained it happened from eating aiver min hachai (which gentiles are also not allowed to eat. It’s one of the sheva mitzvos Bnai Noach).
And still, nobody is blaming. Nobody is pointing fingers. Even though there’s a real blame there.
This should NOT have happened.
It’s interesting how overnight everyone became so nice and tolerant, even though it’s much more serious than the measles was.

There is no comparison.
Measles was preventable. Ppl were putting themselves in harm. Purposefully exposing their children and bragging on national television.
They were exposing children with auto immune diseases and adults on chemo.
It would be like someone with covid-19 sneaking out of quarantine. There would be a lot of anger.

Here ppl are quarantining and staying inside and taking precautions. How can you even compare?

Imagine if someone purposefully exposed their kids and themselves to covid-19 before a vaccine is invented to protect themselves.

Goldie613

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:04 pm
Learning wrote:

Immunity assumes that you can't catch it a second time. Meaning - if someone catches chicken pox, they aren't able to catch it again. Someone who had strep earlier in the winter can catch it again later in the winter, even if they were cured the first time.

Last I heard doctors weren't sure yet how it works with this illness. They're hopeful you can't catch it again, but there's still a lot of uncertainty.

https://www.news.com.au/lifest.....3423e

Last edited by Goldie613 on Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:07 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
There is no comparison.
Measles was preventable. Ppl were putting themselves in harm. Purposefully exposing their children and bragging on national television.

Here ppl are quarantining and staying inside and taking precautions. How can you even compare?

I think if someone purposefully exposed their kids and selves to beat the hospital rush they would also be called crazy.

I know people who got professional advice from their doctors and psak from their Rabbanim and they were still ridiculed, mocked and bashed.
If a big gadol tells someone not to vaccinate (and I’m talking real gedolim, not corner shul rabbis) then everyone else , specifically Jews should have enough respect to accept it and Zip-it.
Instead there was bashing and fighting and demanding they stay isolated -like being quarantined, not allowing them to even attend shul and school.
It was harsh and it was disrespectful and many innocent people felt very helpless and very ridiculed and publicly bashed and ostracized, while they were just following their conscience and their daas Torah.

Now everyone else is getting a taste of that helplessness and what quarantine means.
And there’s no vaccine, with a real reason to be nervous.

I’m not a big person to know the reasons for such happenings.
But it’s very interesting that it happened right after the blown-out-of-proportion measles hype.

Learning

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 9:06 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
Immunity assumes that you can't catch it a second time. Meaning - if someone catches chicken pox, they aren't able to catch it again. Someone who had strep earlier in the winter can catch it again later in the winter, even if they were cured the first time.

Last I heard doctors weren't sure yet how it works with this illness. They're hopeful you can't catch it again, but there's still a lot of uncertainty.

https://www.news.com.au/lifest.....3423e

I heard it will be like the flu people will get it every winter and we need to make a vaccine eventually. Just that it is more serious. It look viruses die when the weather is hot.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:25 pm
Learning wrote:
I heard it will be like the flu people will get it every winter and we need to make a vaccine eventually. Just that it is more serious. It look viruses die when the weather is hot.

Every year?
Sounds scary.

turca

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:16 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I know people who got professional advice from their doctors and psak from their Rabbanim and they were still ridiculed, mocked and bashed.
If a big gadol tells someone not to vaccinate (and I’m talking real gedolim, not corner shul rabbis) then everyone else , specifically Jews should have enough respect to accept it and Zip-it.
Instead there was bashing and fighting and demanding they stay isolated -like being quarantined, not allowing them to even attend shul and school.
It was harsh and it was disrespectful and many innocent people felt very helpless and very ridiculed and publicly bashed and ostracized, while they were just following their conscience and their daas Torah.

Now everyone else is getting a taste of that helplessness and what quarantine means.
And there’s no vaccine, with a real reason to be nervous.

I’m not a big person to know the reasons for such happenings.
But it’s very interesting that it happened right after the blown-out-of-proportion measles hype.

Your post is absolutely ridiculous!!!!
Why don’t you use your screen name????

You asked for helplessness and quarantine by not vaccinating!!!! You didn’t want to follow quarantine rules because in your mind, you thought you were doing a favor to society by spreading measles!!!! You even call it “blow out of proportion measles hype “!!!!
Who in their sane mind wants to spread diseases????

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:27 pm
No. Because there has never been such a thing in our lifetimes.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:29 pm
You couldn't catch HIV like this. Needed to be specific behaviors involving bodily fluids ex. blood transfusion etc. Whats going on now is surreal.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:31 pm
turca wrote:
Your post is absolutely ridiculous!!!!
Why don’t you use your screen name????

You asked for helplessness and quarantine by not vaccinating!!!! You didn’t want to follow quarantine rules because in your mind, you thought you were doing a favor to society by spreading measles!!!! You even call it “blow out of proportion measles hype “!!!!
Who in their sane mind wants to spread diseases????

Don’t jump to conclusions.
I actually did vaccinate.
But I respect those who don’t if they aren’t just being negligent and they are truly concerned for their children.
They follow their conscience and their daas Torah who paskened that it’s ok and fair to them and to everyone else and I’m not afraid to be near them or have their children attend our schools and Shuls.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics