Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Corona virus at Maimonides hospital
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Just One

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:55 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Dr. Bennets words re going outside were secondary to my point. I wanted you to hear what ia going on in all our hospitals in NYC

Noone is being callous. Everyone is.going above and beyond in inhuman conditions. I have not see anyone being left to die. Social media posts report things that are then repeated as truths and induce panic. I agree that patients are currently probably not getting care that they should get.. all over... but that is not the fault of nurses or doctors. There are just not enough staff or equipment or facilities to properly care for the huge influx of very sick people. That is the sad reality of this pandemic. Totally cruel to start throwing blame especially at those in the thick of it. Many of my colleagues are already out sick and I have had multiple exposures already so your attacks pour salt on a wound. Stay home safe with your family and know that gd forbid should any of your family be in need we will give you the best that we can no matter how you talk or behave. Because that is who we are.
(Btw My comment re 5 star expectations was meant regarding normal periods )

I think this post explains where you're coming from. Hugs. This must be an extremely stressful time for you.

Just to clarify, in my comments above I'm referring to normal times. Not during this current pandemic

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 4:03 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
There's a reason Hatzola is no longer taking corona patients to Maimonides. [Comment removed by Mod.]

Who says they're not taking? Last I heard I heard they are still especially with this new what's up message going around from hatzolah.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 4:06 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
You don't need to start one. why not simply call 911?

There were numerous ones that got started. Hatzolah started an entire compaign against them. I'm not even talking abt Ezra's nushim. Hatzolah tortured them till they backed off.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 4:20 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Who says they're not taking? Last I heard I heard they are still especially with this new what's up message going around from hatzolah.

I heard from hatzola member and I live near the hospital and there have been no sirens.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 4:21 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Ah... And there's your answer! The missing link as to why they take to Maimo if the care isn't great. Because as much as they are doing chessed, they are dependent on insurance company policy in order to get paid for their service. So it's chessed with strings attached.

Wait. Are you saying insurance doesn’t want them to deliver to nyc hospitals 🤔

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 4:25 pm
I really can't believe what people are writing here.
I've been a nurse for many years now. first in a well known "top" hospital, then maimonides for many years, now no longer in NY, but in a very good hospital.
This just isn't true. people love to hate on maimonides, the terrible care etc
maimonides has the rudest staff of all the hospitals I've worked at. there is a New York culture of "stop asking me questions, I'm busy".
but they are not in any way trying to kill people. the level of care is equal or better than many other hospitals. just not always delivered nicely. this is exacerbated by patients with a demanding attitude who assume they are being discriminated against etc.
there are some lousy,lazy uncaring nurses. not much we can do about it. but they are in every hospital.
even good nurses have bad days where they are busy overwhelmed and don't have any energy left to be nice to the family of their most stable patient calling for the 4th time this shift complaining their family member is being ignored. that doesn't mean she is deliberately not caring for your loved one.
ok I'm going to stop ranting now .
last point be nice to the staff taking care of you, you'll get better attitude back.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 4:31 pm
Patients are getting bad care citywide because we are currently a war zone and hospitals dont have enuf staffing and supplies. I am in touch with nurses across the NYC area and it seems the same is all over. Its horrifying but true. Peds and orthopedic nurses are becoming icu nurses overnite and are taking care of way too many pts.

Im sorry that you and you all your colleagues are having such a hard time now. When I was describing the terrible experiences I had, the uncaring incompetence, the filth at Maimonides medical center, I was not talking about anything that happened in the last two months. This was all before the coronavirus pandemic. Having seen what I saw I was scared of what could be happening to patients left alone there in times like this.

ETA I’ve been at other hospitals in the Northeast. You’re right there are good and bad people working everywhere. I didn’t see what I saw at maimo anywhere else. If anyone wants to come forward and say it’s a first class hospital I’m willing to hear what they have to say.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 4:33 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I've been a nurse for many years now. first in a well known "top" hospital, then maimonides for many years, now no longer in NY, but in a very good hospital.
maimonides has the rudest staff of all the hospitals I've worked at. there is a New York culture of "stop asking me questions, I'm busy".
but they are not in any way trying to kill people. the level of care is equal or better than many other hospitals. just not always delivered nicely. this is exacerbated by patients with a demanding attitude who assume they are being discriminated against etc.
there are some lousy,lazy uncaring nurses. not much we can do about it. but they are in every hospital.
even good nurses have bad days where they are busy overwhelmed and don't have any energy left to be nice to the family of their most stable patient calling for the 4th time this shift complaining their family member is being ignored. that doesn't mean she is deliberately not caring for your loved one.
last point be nice to the staff taking care of you, you'll get better attitude back.

Thank you. Thank you. For saying what my sleep deprived anxiety ridden overwhelmed brain has been trying to say all day

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 5:26 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I'm sorry, aquamarine. The comments on this thread disparaging hatzolah have been disgusting. Most decent people have a deep respect for what the members deal with on a regular basis, and are in awe of their hard work in this crisis.

I think some people are feeling scared and vulnerable right now, and lashing out inappropriately.

Thank you imamother cobalt. I am scared too. For those of us that were sick. For our families. For those in the hospitals. And certainly as a Hatzolah wife and mother, for anyone putting their lives on the front lines. May Hashem protect us all. May he protect the overworked doctors and nurses. May he protect all volunteers. May he protect women who are too entangled in their hatred/ anger/ entitlement to appreciate those on the giving end of chessed.

mig100

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 5:32 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:

I agree - there seems to be some please in gossiping about maimonides

many people tried scaring me not to give birth there. in the end I was pleasantly surprised at the care I got- I had no complaints all nurses were caring, helpful and responsive. I had a better experience than I have heard many peopel have at fancy manhatan and other hospitals

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 5:50 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
There were numerous ones that got started. Hatzolah started an entire compaign against them. I'm not even talking abt Ezra's nushim. Hatzolah tortured them till they backed off.

And now is the time to talk about this?!!!! Now when we need chassadim and rachamei shamayim you want to talk like this??!!!
Teary Eyed

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:14 pm
[quote="amother [ Aquamarine ]"]Thank you imamother cobalt. I am scared too. For those of us that were sick. For our families. For those in the hospitals. And certainly as a Hatzolah wife and mother, for anyone putting their lives on the front lines. May Hashem protect us all. May he protect the overworked doctors and nurses. May he protect all volunteers. May he protect women who are too entangled in their hatred/ anger/ entitlement to appreciate those on the giving end of chessed.[/quote]

amother
White

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:19 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Wait. Are you saying insurance doesn’t want them to deliver to nyc hospitals 🤔

Won't pay them if they do.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:20 pm
[quote="amother [ Seashell ]"]
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Thank you imamother cobalt. I am scared too. For those of us that were sick. For our families. For those in the hospitals. And certainly as a Hatzolah wife and mother, for anyone putting their lives on the front lines. May Hashem protect us all. May he protect the overworked doctors and nurses. May he protect all volunteers. May he protect women who are too entangled in their hatred/ anger/ entitlement to appreciate those on the giving end of chessed.[/quote]

Talk about hate...

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:39 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Talk about hate...

I will choose to talk about gratefulness and love instead .

Amother Aquamarine: Please thank your husband on behalf of myself and I'm sure the vast majority of klall ysroel for his selfless giving of time and self doing the tremendous chessed of a Hatzola member. It takes a special soul with a huge loving heart to choose this work helping vulnerable, scared, sick people. And thank YOU and your family for enabling his holy work. I cant imagine the terror you must feel hearing his radio go off at all hours and watching him run off into who knows what.
May you.and yours never know illness. Wishing physical and mental healing to all.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:41 pm
I will choose to talk about gratefulness and love instead .

That would be nice.

Amother Aquamarine: Please thank your husband on behalf of myself and I'm sure the vast majority of klall ysroel for his selfless giving of time and self doing the tremendous chessed of a Hatzola member. It takes a special soul with a huge loving heart to choose this work helping vulnerable, scared, sick people. And thank YOU and your family for enabling his holy work. I cant imagine the terror you must feel hearing his radio go off at all hours and watching him run off into who knows what.
May you.and yours never know illness. Wishing physical and mental healing to all.

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

Just One

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:41 pm
I think the anger here is because we are discussing several issue:
Hatzalah: an amazing organization that has saved countless lives. Members are putting their health on the line for us during this crisis without any kind of renumeration. Totally inappropriate to put them down.
Medical personal/RNs: going through extremely stressful times both physically and emotionally right now. Obviously worried about their lives and the lives of those they love. Trying to do their best in an impossible situation. Thank you guys! You deserve a medal
Maimonides hospital in normal times: while they are medically competent in several specialities the staff often seems nasty and uncaring when compared to other hospitals
Maimonides hospital now: rumored to be neglecting patients and therefore complicit in their deaths.

I think if we separate these issues we can have a more productive less hurtful conversation

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:48 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Won't pay them if they do.

Why would insurance not pay Hatzala if they take patients to a Manhattan hospital?

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:53 pm
Just One wrote:
I think the anger here is because we are discussing several issue:
Hatzalah: an amazing organization that has saved countless lives. Members are putting their health on the line for us during this crisis without any kind of renumeration. Totally inappropriate to put them down.
Medical personal/RNs: going through extremely stressful times both physically and emotionally right now. Obviously worried about their lives and the lives of those they love. Trying to do their best in an impossible situation. Thank you guys! You deserve a medal
Maimonides hospital in normal times: while they are medically competent in several specialities the staff often seems nasty and uncaring when compared to other hospitals
Maimonides hospital now: rumored to be neglecting patients and therefore complicit in their deaths.
I think if we separate these issues we can have a more productive less hurtful conversation

Thank you for a rational, non emotional post.

A. I agree. Bashing Hatzala should be banned on this site. Im sure most of us here have been on the receiving end of their services st one point or another

B. Totally agree with your second point

C. As a patient and RN at Maimo, unfortunately your description of some of the staff there (during normal life) is on target. Its that brusque, bordering on rude Brooklyn attitude that is often worsened by the entitled often rude behavior exhibited by some of our own. That behavior by staff is always inexcusable but for some reason hasnt been addressed enough by higher ups. In a NYC magnet hospital where I have worked, professional, polite behavior is stressed much more. It is for this reason that my own family most often will not use Maimo. As I have said before, when we did choose to use them for location convenience we knew we might have to accept that and we did and yet it worked out better than we could have imagined over a stay of more than a month on various units..some better and some worse.
As far as patients being left neglected to die, I would be super careful posting something like that unless I was 100% sure and a personal witness. If not, it is like yelling fire in a crowded theater to spread fear mongering and sensationalism durong this critical time.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 8:06 pm
A few more points:

D. Some may have been "bashing" Hatzolah, as you call it, but to be fair I only saw ONE post in this entire thread that actually made an accusation against them. Others may simply have been asking some tough questions that, yes, require answers.

E. Arrogance from medical professionals is completely unacceptable in any way, shape or form. Being entrusted with human lives does not make one equivalent to G-d. Unfortunately, this is a pitfall many in the medical field seem to fall into again and again. When your job is people's lives day in and day out, it might be an exhausting struggle to see each as an individual, sacred life rather than just the burden you need to push through to finish your shift. But that in no way excuses looking down on or being resentful of those you treat.

To sum up:

Yes, those who hold human lives in their hands can and should be questioned and held accountable. Perhaps more so than any other field. The stakes are THE highest of all.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics