Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Adopting a dog from a shelter
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:19 pm
Can someone please help me with adopting a dog?
What to look for?
What to avoid?
Thank you

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:21 pm
Avoid pit bull mixes. There are a lot of them in shelters, and I wish them well, but they are not a breed for a frum person.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:23 pm
Ask if the dog has already been spayed or neutered. It is against halacha to get it neutered yourself.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:25 pm
The age and health status are also important. Some people out of kindness adopt a dog of advanced age or with known health issues, but most people want one that is relatively young and healthy. (Whether you shop or adopt, mutts tend to have fewer hereditary health issues than purebreds.)

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:26 pm
Ask about the dog's history. Find out whether it is good with cats, children, and other dogs.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:34 pm
Be willing to really listen to the staff / volunteers about temperament. Tell them honestly about your lifestyle (how active, how much the dog will be alone, other pets, children’s ages, common crowds, etc), then let them make suggestions of animals that would fit well. Don’t get your heart set on the one that looks cute and then just say “do you think this one would work?”.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:39 pm
I want a dog.... been wanting one since I'm a kid and DH is very against it. He won't even compromise by letting me dogsit Sad...
Get a dog that fits your family, your house size, your lifestyle. Set aside a few days at home so you can adjust to each other's schedules. Ask the shelter about how loud they are, medical history, if they're trained at all, how long they can stay at home alone.
Bring along existing kids/pets to see how everyone gets along.

There may be a trial option. My good friend got one dog who kept vomiting and looking unhappy, she had to give it back after trial and is super happy with her second choice.

See how much room they need.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 9:11 pm
Went today. I didn't know it's same day adoption. Did not get it in the end

My daughter fell in love with a Shepherd mix. But they didn't know what the mix was and how big it will be (30-80 pounds)etc.
Also this particular puppy was the "runt" of the litter. Currently on medication for stomach issues, on a special diet and on meds for a respiratory issue(they said was just a cold)...
I was nervous to take it.
Do you think these issues are concerning or not? What should I know for the future?
I was surprised it was same day adoption- North shore
Just adding it's not my first dog.
Had to put our dog to sleep. Our daughter took it very badly....is giving me a hard time since to get another one.

Rappel

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 9:22 pm
Think very carefully about how you want your life to look with a dog.

Do you want to walk it 2 times a day? 3? Long walks or short walks? High energy or low? Just let it run around your yard (small dogs)?

How much time and effort are you willing to invest in training?

How much money are you willing to put into food bills?

How much money are you willing to put into vet bills?

How do you want this dog to interact with your children? You? Your husband? Guests? Other pets?

The answers to all these questions should tell you a lot about what you're looking for in energy-level, size, temperament, past history, medical history, and breeding.

Don't let same-day adoption scare you. They just don't want to reserve a cute dog for someone who will never come back. You can come back as many times as you want, see the dogs under all conditions, and pick as you choose.

(And you were right to be wary of a puppy. First of all - you never really know how a puppy will turn ou MVt. Second of all - puppies take a LOT of work, training, taking them out to pee in the night etc. Third - it will take 2-3 years until their energy settles into their adult pattern. I don't know any mom whom actually wants to handle that level of involvement in a pet for that long a time.)

Rappel

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 9:24 pm
Just spotted that this isn't your first dog. Well, that simplifies things! I guess you want a dog very similar in size and temperament to your previous one. If you don't pick among the puppies, and you ask for a trial/home visit, you'll probably get what you're looking for.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can someone please help me with adopting a dog?
What to look for?
What to avoid?
Thank you

You can get one from a frum guy in Brooklyn who does dog rescue and gives you a good dog in good condition and will help you choose one that fits your needs. Ira Brown.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:48 pm
Rappel wrote:
Think very carefully about how you want your life to look with a dog.

Do you want to walk it 2 times a day? 3? Long walks or short walks? High energy or low? Just let it run around your yard (small dogs)?

How much time and effort are you willing to invest in training?

How much money are you willing to put into food bills?

How much money are you willing to put into vet bills?

How do you want this dog to interact with your children? You? Your husband? Guests? Other pets?

The answers to all these questions should tell you a lot about what you're looking for in energy-level, size, temperament, past history, medical history, and breeding.

Don't let same-day adoption scare you. They just don't want to reserve a cute dog for someone who will never come back. You can come back as many times as you want, see the dogs under all conditions, and pick as you choose.

(And you were right to be wary of a puppy. First of all - you never really know how a puppy will turn ou MVt. Second of all - puppies take a LOT of work, training, taking them out to pee in the night etc. Third - it will take 2-3 years until their energy settles into their adult pattern. I don't know any mom whom actually wants to handle that level of involvement in a pet for that long a time.)

She didn’t ask for advice on whether to get a dog.

Violet123

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:50 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
You can get one from a frum guy in Brooklyn who does dog rescue and gives you a good dog in good condition and will help you choose one that fits your needs. Ira Brown.

Thank you so much.
I'll try to get the number unless you can pm me?

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:51 pm
Hidden for language.
Hidden: 

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much.
I'll try to get the number unless you can give it to me?
My email is: [Censored so you can edit]
Thank you

I wouldn't put an email address here. You should use mailinator if you want to be anonymous.

Violet123

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:55 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I wouldn't put an email address here. You should use mailinator if you want to be anonymous.

Thank you
I changed it to not anonymous

Do you mind explaining why an anonymous ish email would be a problem? And what's mailinator?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 12:10 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Hidden for language.
Hidden: 

Problem with an adult is that idk where it's been. Was abused, etc and my daughter doesn't want one that already had a family(is that a concern?)
Also, if an adult is at a shelter why did the owner give it up? Except for moving purposes.
This is my concern with shelters.
But a puppy comes with its own set of issues. Chew everything, need training every few hours, they don't know the exact breed, how large it will be. Shelters scare me

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 12:10 am
Violet123 wrote:
Thank you so much.
I'll try to get the number unless you can pm me?

He gives out his numbers freely. He also works with other rescuers and shelters so should have lots of options
347–842-8829
516-680-5099

Violet123

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 12:11 am
Thank you. Got it
I guess if you'd like you can delete it now.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 1:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Problem with an adult is that idk where it's been. Was abused, etc and my daughter doesn't want one that already had a family(is that a concern?)
Also, if an adult is at a shelter why did the owner give it up? Except for moving purposes.
This is my concern with shelters.
But a puppy comes with its own set of issues. Chew everything, need training every few hours, they don't know the exact breed, how large it will be. Shelters scare me

Sometimes they know the history, sometimes they don't. There are some sad instances where an owner has to give up a dog due to illness chas v'shalom or other such circumstances. And then there are young adult dogs that were taken in as found stray puppies by foster families who only foster on a temporary basis. In those cases, the shelter should be able to tell you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets