Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Recipes for Slow Cooker Shabbos Lunch that ISN'T Chulent?

midiskirts

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:34 am
I prefer non-chulent recipes for shabbos lunch because they're more likely to be reused as leftovers during the week, but I love the convenience of slow-cooked food for lunch. I do already have a couple of recipes that fit this description - chili (fleish and veggie), chicken tikka masala, and t'beet - but I'm looking for something new. Any ideas?

bigsis144

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:56 am
CAN THIS PLEASE BE THE NEXT BIG GLOSSY KOSHER COOKBOOK?!?

Seriously, I have read so many non-kosher slow cooker cookbooks, and the maximum time I’ve seen is 10-12 hours. I am begging all the shticky kosher food bloggers and cookbook writers to come up with 20+ recipes that can take 18+ hours in a crockpot...

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:00 am
Stuffed peppers
Stuffed cabbage
Unstuffed cabbage
Pulled taco chicken

SuperWify

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:06 am
Pulled beef
Meatballs and peas

s c

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:09 am
midiskirts wrote:
I prefer non-chulent recipes for shabbos lunch because they're more likely to be reused as leftovers during the week, but I love the convenience of slow-cooked food for lunch. I do already have a couple of recipes that fit this description - chili (fleish and veggie), chicken tikka masala, and t'beet - but I'm looking for something new. Any ideas?

What's your fleishig chilli recipe?

midiskirts

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:39 am
s c wrote:
What's your fleishig chilli recipe?

BT CHILLINT

This recipe is based on a post from allrecipes.com.

Ingredients
2 lb ground turkey OR 2 lb ground chicken
2 (16 oz) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained OR 8-10 chopped plum tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
2 medium onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2-6 cloves garlic, minced (I prefer lots of garlic, but 2 is fine)
2 T chili powder
2 t salt
1 t pepper

Optional
1 package Of Tov Mini Smoked Turkey Sausage (Kabanos), sliced OR 1 package spicy vegetarian sausages, sliced (to prep this, will need 2-3 cloved garlic, minced and ½-1 t chili powder)
3+ dashes hot sauce (preferably garlic, NOT sriracha)
1 8-oz can of pickled jalapenos, sliced

Instructions

In a skillet, saute onions w/ a pinch of salt over medium heat until softened. Add minced garlic, saute until fragrant. Transfer half of the onions to the slow cooker, set the rest aside in a bowl.
Using the same pan, brown the chicken/turkey over medium heat. Mix in the bowl of onions. Transfer to a slow cooker.
Add tomatoes, sauce, green pepper, chili powder, salt and pepper.
OPTIONAL: Saute sliced sausage (I stopped using Of Tov when I learned how carcinogenic nitrates are, spicy veggie sausages do taste amazing as a substitute) with an additional 2-3 cloves of minced garlic; season with a little chili powder and transfer to slow cooker.
OPTIONAL: Add hot sauce, I use about 5 dashes.
OPTIONAL: Add pickled jalapenos, these will give a small kick but amazing depth of flavour.
Cover and cook on low until shabbat lunch.
→ Place a piece of parchment paper under the slow cooker lid that is just big enough to cover the opening of the slow cooker but does not touch the element. This will keep too much liquid from evaporating from the pot.

s c

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:42 am
Thanks. Cant wait to try as a change from chulent!

imasoftov

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:24 am
bigsis144 wrote:

Seriously, I have read so many non-kosher slow cooker cookbooks, and the maximum time I’ve seen is 10-12 hours. I am begging all the shticky kosher food bloggers and cookbook writers to come up with 20+ recipes that can take 18+ hours in a crockpot...

I have a suspicion that it's just not possible to cook something for that long at a temperature high enough to keep the food from spoiling yet low enough to not overcook it, but would be delighted to be proved wrong.

Raw

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:52 am
midiskirts wrote:
BT CHILLINT

This recipe is based on a post from allrecipes.com.

Ingredients
2 lb ground turkey OR 2 lb ground chicken
2 (16 oz) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained OR 8-10 chopped plum tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
2 medium onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2-6 cloves garlic, minced (I prefer lots of garlic, but 2 is fine)
2 T chili powder
2 t salt
1 t pepper

Optional
1 package Of Tov Mini Smoked Turkey Sausage (Kabanos), sliced OR 1 package spicy vegetarian sausages, sliced (to prep this, will need 2-3 cloved garlic, minced and ½-1 t chili powder)
3+ dashes hot sauce (preferably garlic, NOT sriracha)
1 8-oz can of pickled jalapenos, sliced

Instructions

In a skillet, saute onions w/ a pinch of salt over medium heat until softened. Add minced garlic, saute until fragrant. Transfer half of the onions to the slow cooker, set the rest aside in a bowl.
Using the same pan, brown the chicken/turkey over medium heat. Mix in the bowl of onions. Transfer to a slow cooker.
Add tomatoes, sauce, green pepper, chili powder, salt and pepper.
OPTIONAL: Saute sliced sausage (I stopped using Of Tov when I learned how carcinogenic nitrates are, spicy veggie sausages do taste amazing as a substitute) with an additional 2-3 cloves of minced garlic; season with a little chili powder and transfer to slow cooker.
OPTIONAL: Add hot sauce, I use about 5 dashes.
OPTIONAL: Add pickled jalapenos, these will give a small kick but amazing depth of flavour.
Cover and cook on low until shabbat lunch.
→ Place a piece of parchment paper under the slow cooker lid that is just big enough to cover the opening of the slow cooker but does not touch the element. This will keep too much liquid from evaporating from the pot.

I am really curious about this recipe. It looks flavorful but does it taste heavy and cholenty after being on low till shabbos lunch?

midiskirts

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 12:07 pm
Raw wrote:
I am really curious about this recipe. It looks flavorful but does it taste heavy and cholenty after being on low till shabbos lunch?

It can be a little heavy, but it really helps to use poultry instead of beef, veggie sausages instead of kabanos, and "saute" in water/vegetable broth instead of oil. It's also lighter during the summer when lighting is later Smile

This recipe is definitely very flavourful and very popular as a leftover.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 12:21 pm
chilli con carne

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 3:34 pm
In my experience everything that cooks that long end up tasting pretty similar at the end.
I've done in the past meatballs , hotdogs, added carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes or celery (not all at once!!)
I also tried mushroom barley soup...
At the end, we all like the chulent better!

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 4:02 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

The shticky kosher food bloggers and cookbook writers have all tried to develop such recipes... With cholent tasting results no matter what they put in. Food just doesn't taste good when cooked so long.
Make cholent, yapchik or rice.

Refine

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 7:34 pm
Yapchik is very popular with my kids. They really like when it gets crusty.
https://jamiegeller.com/recipe.....chik/

Ive out a layer of rice, layer of ground beef mixed in marinara sauce and fried onions, and than another layer of rice. Tasted a bit like meatloaf I guess.

I've always wanted to make some form of Apple dessert instead of cholent, but I've never been brave enough to be that untraditional.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen