Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Are you bringing your seminary daughters home?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DD was supposed to stay in EY for Pesach, and her seminary is not closing, but the principal told them today that they don't know what will be from day to day (new laws about gatherings etc), don't have facilities to put girls in quarantine, don't know if they'll be able to go to families for Pesach, and don't know if they'll be able to reopen after Pesach.

I do have family in EY, so DD would have places to go, but she really wants to come home at this point. What are other parents in this situation doing?

Was your daughter talking to my daughter???? I just had the same conversation with my dd. I feel your stress- we were supposed to go to Israel for pesach- don't think that is happening. Figured dd would stay and go to family, but just being in seminary and all they talk about is getting sick and the potential of quarantine is freaking her out. They keep sending us emails, about not knowing what the future holds, but remain calm. The emails are making me more nervous. I can only imagine what it is doing to the girls. The thought of being in quarantine- and what if it happens over Pesach!

To add to the fun, dd found rat droppings in her dorm room. When she told the administration they said sorry too busy dealing with the virus than to help you. Are we not aware the rat droppings have their own issues and have similar symptoms to Covid 19.

I am concerned that with all the worry, the important things are being overlooked. DD also said, there is no learning going on just batuling about the virus.

I am hoping we can use her return flight ticket to come back now.. but I don't think there are flights available until just before pesach on elal.

I would love for her to stay in israel, but I feel all this stress is breaking her emotionally.

She said something brilliant to me- "I have to live my life and not be in fear and not hide in my room all day."

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:44 pm
Hope all of you who have kids coming home from Israel self quarantine for 14 dys

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:44 pm
my daughters seminary closed so I have no choice but to bring her home if I can get a flight

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:52 pm
Shuly wrote:
If she has a place to stay, let her stay in Israel.
The girls whose schools closed are so upset. They have to scramble to book tickets that are starting at $1500 for one way.
The parents are not getting their money back, the teachers are not getting paid anymore and the owners of the seminaries just made a mint by closing down!

Exactly.
And they’re taking advantage of the desperation of people and charging &1500 for one way.
My husband is a travel agent and he says you can get airline tickets for much less money.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:53 pm
Which seminaries have closed

eduardo

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:56 pm
octopus wrote:
Hope all of you who have kids coming home from Israel self quarantine for 14 dys

Why?

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:01 pm
eduardo wrote:
Why?

Because your child is coming from a country that has an outbreak. That's why.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:02 pm
octopus wrote:

Lol. The outbreak in Israel is way less than anywhere else. And the ones there are are basically imported cases. Certainly far less than in the US and NY especially.

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:04 pm
So what. They are traveling.
I don't understand what you don't understand. So the seminaries close down, and send back the kids to fly internationally to infect the rest of us. And lol to you too. Scratching Head

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:08 pm
octopus wrote:
I don't understand what you don't understand. So the seminaries close down, and send back the kids to fly internationally to infect the rest of us.

There's more chance now of infection among the Jewish community in NY from community transmission than from seminary girls coming from Israel.

I understand if you want to quarantine all travellers. But start with UK before Israel, for goodness sake. And flights from Italy should have been banned weeks ago already, far too late that it's only starting now. Until there's a quarantine on all travellers, it doesn't make sense to tell those coming from Israel to do so.

eduardo

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:09 pm
octopus wrote:

There’s outbreaks in the US too. New York has more than double positive cases compared to Israel.

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with self quarantine, but I don’t think it should be a given just because someone is coming from a country with less cases than one state of ours..

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:12 pm
eduardo wrote:
There’s outbreaks in the US too. New York has more than double positive cases compared to Israel.

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with self quarantine, but I don’t think it should be a given just because someone is coming from a country with less cases than one state of ours..

More than double cases and the majority are from community transmission. Which completely changes the equation.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:28 pm
Shuly wrote:
If she has a place to stay, let her stay in Israel.
The girls whose schools closed are so upset. They have to scramble to book tickets that are starting at $1500 for one way.
The parents are not getting their money back, the teachers are not getting paid anymore and the owners of the seminaries just made a mint by closing down!

Do you know this for a fact? Because I would assume if they’re not refunding parents (which they’re not) then they’re still paying the teachers

mishpacha1

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:35 pm
Anyone know how you can change a ticket on el al? Do you have to contact customer service or is there a way to do it online?

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 1:08 am
Which seminaries closed

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 4:10 am
Chemdas

chanchy123

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 5:02 am
octopus wrote:
I don't understand what you don't understand. So the seminaries close down, and send back the kids to fly internationally to infect the rest of us. And lol to you too. Scratching Head

I think self- isolation is probably a good idea. But Israel’s covid situation is pretty much contained, as far as we know. 99% of the cases documented here are traced. They are either from abroad or close contact with someone from abroad.
A person coming from Israel poses no more threat than anyone coming from anywhere else.
ETA the measures taken here make it seem like the virus is rampant but the opposite is true, they are taken one step before things spiral out of control like in Italy and now Spain.

Raisin

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 7:33 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
There's more chance now of infection among the Jewish community in NY from community transmission than from seminary girls coming from Israel.

I understand if you want to quarantine all travellers. But start with UK before Israel, for goodness sake. And flights from Italy should have been banned weeks ago already, far too late that it's only starting now. Until there's a quarantine on all travellers, it doesn't make sense to tell those coming from Israel to do so.

Trump has golf courses in the UK, that's why it's not on the list. Rolling Eyes

I think the US travel ban is stupid...far more effective to have all incoming travellers (us cictizens or not) to self isolate for 2 weeks.

Shuly

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 10:37 am
Seminaries that closed so far:
Meohr
Bnos Chava
Bnos Batsheva
Machon Raaya
Seminar
Chemdas

Possibly more; these are the ones I heard about.

My friend is a teacher in a few seminaries and she is paid per class so she just lost her income.
I heard from two parents of seminary girls that the seminary would not refund them any money after closing down.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 10:41 am
My sister is in bya, she was planning to stay because my parents dont have rhe means to fly her home..
Shes been crying for 3 days now. My parents just spent the money and put her flight after shabbos... $1550 one way..
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics