Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Pepper steak cooking method

rgh

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 2:53 pm
Can someone help me get this straight please?

The strips of meat that you buy in the store labeled "pepper steak"-are they supposed to be quickly stir fried, or cooked long, low and slow in sauce, like minute steak?.

The recipes I google are confusing me.

hodeez

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 2:54 pm
I crock pot it or cook it 350 for a few hours.

tweety1

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 3:01 pm
Delicious when cooked or baked low and slow. I put it in a baking pan cover with duck sauce and bake it on 275 for a few hrs maybe like 5. Make sure it always has liquid. Add a little water too.

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 3:20 pm
Pepper steak is a dish that is done in a wok so that the veggies are crisp. It is done with meat that is seared quickly. It is essentially a stir fried dish. The beef one uses for a stir fried beef dish is one that is reasonably tender since it is cooked quickly. I generally use some form of sirloin and cut it myself into relatively thin slices. It slices best when semi-frozen. I would never buy something presliced.

Any Jewish recipes called Pepper Steak as described above are completely different than a Chinese Pepper Steak. Not that the Pepper Steak served in a Chinese restaurant is at all authentic but it at least has some relationship to classic wok fried Chinese dishes. From the description of cooking methods, the butcher is selling tough cuts of beef. Lots of time when meat is presliced by the butcher it includes odds and ends from various cuts.

rgh

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 8:14 pm
Update: baked it in a sweet sauce on 350 for 2.5 hours. Pretty good but a bit chewy.

Any tips for next time or is it just not a good quality meat?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 8:20 pm
rgh wrote:
Update: baked it in a sweet sauce on 350 for 2.5 hours. Pretty good but a bit chewy.

Any tips for next time or is it just not a good quality meat?

325 for 3 hours with a bit of water on bottom and a bit of oil on top.
Kosher cuts of presliced "pepper steak" are very tough and need tenderizing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics