Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
When a family member "steals" your baby name
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 1:28 pm
qwerty4 wrote:
If you’re naming after a grandparent, how can you ask your sister not to use the name? It’s not a name you chose yourself and she is copying you, she is simply naming after the same grandparent.
I had assumed that people who made a big deal of cousins having the same name weren’t naming after grandparents but rather a name they liked (like OP). Once it is a family name, I don’t get how you can claim exclusive rights to it.

Did I say grandparent? Did I say the relative used the specific nickname we chose?

No and no.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 1:33 pm
I think if its a family name, the more people who are named for that person the nicer it is.

As a rule everyone names what they want. Circumstances and personalities make a difference in terms of what you decide or how to deal with it.

I had a child after years of IF, picked a non family name and at the bris my husband spoke about the miracle baby and the connection to that name, why we chose it etc.
2 weeks later my SIL had a baby boy (her 5th) and named the same name.
I was really upset. Of course I got over it but I didnt forget how it hurt me then.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 1:44 pm
If it was a favorite name of mine and not named after someone I would probably still name them that name. I think it’s a compliment that u love that name and u guys can make that it’s funny u both had baby same time and intended to have the same name

amother
Pink

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 1:48 pm
No one owns a name ure entitled to name ure baby whatever u want to, no such thing as stealing a name ppl r allowed to.have same.name
I have a son, brother, few nephews and cousins with same name

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 2:58 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
No one owns a name ure entitled to name ure baby whatever u want to, no such thing as stealing a name ppl r allowed to.have same.name
I have a son, brother, few nephews and cousins with same name

This.

flowerpower

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 3:11 pm
No one can copyright a name. I never understood it. Name you kid as you please and don’t give a hoot what anyone thinks.

qwerty4

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 3:29 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Did I say grandparent? Did I say the relative used the specific nickname we chose?

No and no.

You said you named after the same relative, I’m sorry I presumed a grandparent. In either case it seems more of a family name than a name picked especially for your child.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 3:32 pm
I can’t relate because we are Sephardic so we name after living relatives
1st boy and 1st girl are ALWAYS named after paternal grandparents
2nd boy and second girl are ALWAYS named after maternal grandparents
After that it’s usually someone in the family that is deceased.
In order not to get mistaken they use the father’s name as an UNOFFICIAL middle name
Especially seen on tallit bags
My grandson is David Yosef while my other grandson is David Avraham
But by the Brit Millah they only had David as the official name

I know a family who had special portraits done for the grandparents 50th anniversary in one they had all the Avrahams of the family in the other all the Sarahs

But I could understand ashkenazim being a bit superstitious about things like this since you don’t name after living ppl. Not the issue here, but I would pick a different name
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names