Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
For those with no money, what are you doing??
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:01 pm
My kids schools are closed and I can't work from home. I don't get paid if I don't work. How am I supposed to pay for food and rent and everything? Is anyone else with a low income/savings freaking out? What are you all doing? How are you so calm if you live paycheck to paycheck and don't have the type of job that you can do remotely?

Learning

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:07 pm
Is Dh working?

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:14 pm
Are the Bais Yaakov Highschools closed?

hodeez

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:19 pm
My mother is a sonographer and my father has a watch repair shop in Manhattan. All of my mother's working days were cut for the foreseeable future and my dad's landlord is considering closing the building. So yes we are all freaked out. I just called them to offer them a helping hand, which they declined for now. Hashem should watch over us all.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:26 pm
I’m not in you’re shoes (yet) as my kid school is (still) ooen but I completely feel you. I’ve been saying as such all week. All of this ‘social distancing’ and ‘cancel everything’ are for the rich. The poor aren’t going anywhere. They go to work and they come home. And they rely on school for child care and can’t afford not to work. I’m so sorry. This will be me any minute

ectomorph

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:28 pm
Dont pay rent/ mortgage. They will be forced to forgive you and not ecillvict you. Everyone is in th same boat.

Rappel

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:28 pm
I will point-blank refuse to pay rent if we're put into quarantine. Let them take it to court.

BH, DH is working in security, so even though we lost the tour guiding income, we still have a way to pay the bills for now. But there is no fat to trim. It will be a very careful Pesach.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:31 pm
Rappel wrote:
I will point-blank refuse to pay rent if we're put into quarantine. Let them take it to court.

BH, DH is working in security, so even though we lost the tour guiding income, we still have a way to pay the bills for now. But there is no fat to trim. It will be a very careful Pesach.

Yeah. At this point a lot of people will struggle to pay rent. Italy suspended mortgage payments for this reason.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:31 pm
We are just freaking out. I have no idea what to do. We work in a tourist dependent business losing march will destroy my whole year.

thanks

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:33 pm
hodeez wrote:
My mother is a sonographer and my father has a watch repair shop in Manhattan. All of my mother's working days were cut for the foreseeable future and my dad's landlord is considering closing the building. So yes we are all freaked out. I just called them to offer them a helping hand, which they declined for now. Hashem should watch over us all.

Why is a songraphers hours cut? Doesn't everyone still need the medical care?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:39 pm
I'm a SEIT in schools and my husband is in Yeshiva. Living paycheck to paycheck. No savings. Neither family has money but I also doubt if the schools close our RY would tell my husband to work in a gas station or the like... What will happen!??

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:08 pm
I'm also very worried about this. The only thing I'm stocking up on is formula for my baby. Chas v'shalom if it comes to a bad point, I won't pay rent this month. Hopefully the landlord will understand.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:10 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I'm also very worried about this. The only thing I'm stocking up on is formula for my baby. Chas v'shalom if it comes to a bad point, I won't pay rent this month. Hopefully the landlord will understand.

I hope your not my tenant. I rely on that rent money to pay my mortgage.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:19 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:

I'm not your tenant bh.
What is a family that lives paycheck to paycheck supposed to do? DH can't work from home. What if his company chas v'shalom closes down and he's out of work? We're supposed to dig up money from the ground??
It's never a good idea to have a tenant on the account that the rent will pay the mortgage. It means you can't afford to own a home.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:24 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Dont pay rent/ mortgage. They will be forced to forgive you and not ecillvict you. Everyone is in th same boat.

Which "they" will be forced to forgive, and why are you so sure abt it? Never mind that it's a serious halachic shaila, even more so if the landlord is Jewish.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:24 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I'm not your tenant bh.
What is a family that lives paycheck to paycheck supposed to do? DH can't work from home. What if his company chas v'shalom closes down and he's out of work? We're supposed to dig up money from the ground??
It's never a good idea to have a tenant on the account that the rent will pay the mortgage. It means you can't afford to own a home.

That’s true but it’s also not a good idea to rent a house without the savings for a few months rent. It’s not fair to your landlord to put them in the red. They likely rely on that income for something (just like you rely on your paycheck).
We rent and live “paycheck to paycheck”, so I’m being a bit hypocritical, however we’d borrow money from a gemach or something before not paying rent.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:28 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:

You wont need to pay your mortgage either. If you cant dont. Everyone will end up doing like Italy.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 2:03 am
ectomorph wrote:
You wont need to pay your mortgage either. If you cant dont. Everyone will end up doing like Italy.

That’s not happening here.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 2:17 am
This scares me too. I make 960 a month babysitting and my husband makes 700 a week. We live paycheck to paycheck. Most of the $ goes to bills and food.
We should really stock up on formula for my baby...
And food that doesn’t expire.
It’s scary times Sad

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 4:19 am
Bank Poalim in Israel announced that if you can prove that you are financially affected by corona they will waive the mortgage payments. The rest of the banks will follow. Hopefully if the pressure of mortgages is relieved the landlords will be able to wait for the rent.....

I work remotely but DH tutors students and is part of a band. People have been canceling events left and right and all the american students are cancelling. We are going to have to tighten our belts and dip into our savings....
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics