Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Library?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:37 pm
Would you take your kids to the library?
I am in a city with very few confirmed cases at this point and from those all but one are directly travel related.
At first I was thinking it's a great activity for tomorrow and we can get tons of books to keep us busy for awhile at home, but then I started thinking of the germs...

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:39 pm
Nope. At most, I would reserve materials then run in quickly to pick up and check them out.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:48 pm
I wouldn't bring home books from the library now at all.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:53 pm
I'm in Montreal. We have not had any community cases (13 diagnosed travelers in Quebec so far) and the mayor announced today that all the libraries, rinks, pools and community centers are closed until further notice.
Based on this precautionary measure, I would advise you to stay away from the library.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 7:47 am
No. I just told my kids yesterday that I don’t feel comfortable going to the library at the moment.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:03 am
I felt comfortable going myself in the evening. I took out books for my kids and wiped them down as best as I could. I didn't take ones that were on display/looked like they had been handled recently.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:18 am
Quote:
I felt comfortable going myself in the evening. I took out books for my kids and wiped them down as best as I could. I didn't take ones that were on display/looked like they had been handled recently.

I think this is what I'm going to try and do. I wish I would have thought of it earlier in the week so we could have books for shabbos, not sure I can find something for the kids to do today while I go to the library.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:45 am
I'm out of town now but will be back in NY soon. I really hope the library will be open when I get back, need reading material to survive being home this long.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:47 am
people have been seen breaking self quarantine and have been going to the librairy I would not go
some librairys were closed

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 9:23 am
Definitely not a place to hang out these days, with people handling books, returning them from home which might be infected.
We are a family of bookworms, no way we will get through this intact without reading material. Now digital and audio books are our preferred kind now but that doesn't help for Shabbos.
So today I went and picked up books for my kids. I wiped them down with antibacterial wipes as soon as I got home. I hope that's enough.
The usually quiet library was a madhouse, everyone rushing to get books, and I heard them saying that as they are expecting to close soon for an unknown period they are letting people take more books than they are eligible for.

Ravenclaw

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 10:30 am
I’m more nervous about the books themselves than being in th library with others. Libraries aren’t crowded places. But I make everyone wash their hands after reading a library book cuz who knows where those books have been.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 10:32 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
I’m more nervous about the books themselves than being in th library with others. Libraries aren’t crowded places. But I make everyone wash their hands after reading a library book cuz who knows where those books have been.

This. It’s not the library that’s the issue. It’s the books themselves and they are known for passing germs around. I know that many of the librarians wear gloves for this reason.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:00 am
Yup. Went to the library myself, no kids. Took out tons of books, looked up which lysol kills corona, sprayed all fronts, let sit, wiped down, sprayed all backs, let sit, wiped down, then sprayed and wiped the floor they were on and washed my hands very well and then used hand sanitizer too. Lol. My family needs books more than toilet paper

Amarante

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:22 am
Most libraries now have the ability to rent digital and audio books through the internet. It is free and you just have to link your existing library card and download the App.

For adults, the books are readable on your iPhone. I prefer reading books on my iPhone as it is easier to hold and I don't need a night light. You can also read books on any computer.

There are inexpensive reading devices for children if you don't already have a Kindle or iPad. Another benefit is that there are very good learning games which can be downloaded if your children are missing school.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 12:36 pm
Our local libraries have announced closing. The list of things to keep my kids occupied without electronics is narrowing...

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 12:42 pm
hy- my oldest is at the library now getting books. I told her to override her 7 book limit. her friend's mother said that the library is actually empty. that aren't letting any returns.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 12:47 pm
We're out of town so couldn't take advantage of stocking up today!

icedcoffee

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 1:08 pm
NYPL is closing through the end of March.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 5:02 pm
The libraries should be open, but they should be reserve books only, and books should not be allowed to be returned until later.

alwayssmile

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 5:13 pm
Finkelstein library is closed for the next four weeks
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics