Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
How to get cash to DC in Israel
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 6:50 am
Before the travel restrictions, I gave money to people going to Isreal to take to DC. The system worked out great until this pandemic. DH frequently traveled there also.

How do I get cash to DC? It looks like DC will be spending Pesach there.

Thank you

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 6:53 am
Put money in a bank and have him withdraw from there.
It would be advisable for your ds to have his own atm card.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 6:57 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Put money in a bank and have him withdraw from there.
It would be advisable for your ds to have his own atm card.

We never gave him access to his bank account here as I want him to save his money and spend mine. It's too late to sign him up for an atm card for it.

essie14

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 7:02 am
What neighborhood is he in? There are usually money changing places that you can wire money to and they will exchange for ILS.

essie14

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 7:03 am
You can also FedEx a check to him.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 7:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We never gave him access to his bank account here as I want him to save his money and spend mine. It's too late to sign him up for an atm card for it.

Your money, his money...
You can open up a separate bank account for this and send him your atm card that comes along with the account. Put in $500 and tell him to use the atm card to withdraw $100. There are atm machines all over the country.

Raisin

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 7:28 am
in the short term you can find a friend or relative you can paypal or wire money to who can give the cash to your child. The secretary in the school your child is in may be able to help you. But giving your child a bank card is a great idea. Look into revolut.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:06 am
essie14 wrote:
What neighborhood is he in? There are usually money changing places that you can wire money to and they will exchange for ILS.

Thanks

The neighborhood is har nof

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:08 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Your money, his money...
You can open up a separate bank account for this and send him your atm card that comes along with the account. Put in $500 and tell him to use the atm card to withdraw $100. There are atm machines all over the country.

I can't open an account because he's over 18. He needs to sign for it.

Raisin

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I can't open an account because he's over 18. He needs to sign for it.

set up an account in your name and send him the card

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:19 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Your money, his money...

I would do this. Set up an account with a card, get two cards, and send him one and keep one for yourself.

essie14

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks

The neighborhood is har nof

Tell him to ask around, there is for sure a money changer you can wire money to.

sub

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 9:56 am
Is there a local office for the yeshiva? If so give money here in the office and have them give it to him there

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 10:42 am
Access Credit is located in Har Nof and they do wire transfers.

Or ask some living there if you can Zelle them money and if they can give it to him.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 10:51 am
What if something happened between trips, and he needed money? He needs access to a bank account in case of emergency. But that's water under the bridge; I only mention it for people in the future.

If he's in yeshiva, arrange to give money for a friend's parent to put in the friend's account, and the friend to withdraw for your son. That will take care of the immediate emergency.

In the meantime, set up an account earmarked for him with 2 ATM cards, and FedEx one to him. Then you can put money in the account, and he can withdraw it. That's what we did; its what everyone we know did.

Do a fast google on banks that don't have foreign transaction or ATM fees. They exist.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 2:08 pm
From my days Citibank was popular for Americans in Israel.
I’m sure there are many other choices now.
Who cares if his name is not on the account?? He’ll be using the atm card you’ll give him.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 5:25 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
What if something happened between trips, and he needed money? He needs access to a bank account in case of emergency. But that's water under the bridge; I only mention it for people in the future.

If he's in yeshiva, arrange to give money for a friend's parent to put in the friend's account, and the friend to withdraw for your son. That will take care of the immediate emergency.

In the meantime, set up an account earmarked for him with 2 ATM cards, and FedEx one to him. Then you can put money in the account, and he can withdraw it. That's what we did; its what everyone we know did.

Do a fast google on banks that don't have foreign transaction or ATM fees. They exist.

He has high credit limits on his credit cards. I can't think of what kind of emergency he could have that would require cash.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 4:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He has high credit limits on his credit cards. I can't think of what kind of emergency he could have that would require cash.

Since you are concerned about getting g cash to him now, the current situation is a clear example of an emergency where he requires cash.

fluffernutter

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 6:16 pm
Can he use his own credit card and you'll give him the money to pay it?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 6:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But thats the exact point OP, an emergency is something that you would never think of that would happen that one would need money urgently. One never knows what one might need urgently.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions