Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are you happy with White upper/Cherry lower Kitchen Cabinets

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 6:47 am
My kitchen area is about a 10' X 10' U shape. Not tiny, but not big.

I lean to traditional/transitional.

Because of not wanting a totally dark kitchen or a totally white unpractical kitchen, someone suggested I do White upper/Cherry lower Kitchen Cabinets.

Is it choppy looking?

Or do I just do all cherry with lots of LED lights?

If you have White upper/Cherry lower Kitchen Cabinets, what cabinet style did you choose?

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 7:48 am
I just redid my kitchen. I did the top white and the bottom a dark gray/brownish. I did a shaker style. I picked a counter that tied both colors in. I love it and keep getting compliments on it.

I would have gone for a warm brown bottom but they didn't make that in a style that I liked that had a matching white.

ETA my kitchen isn't very big either. It's an L shape around a small table. About 10x14

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 7:49 am
I'd rather do black or dark gray lower with white upper. I can't see cherry looking nice with white.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:28 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I'd rather do black or dark gray lower with white upper. I can't see cherry looking nice with white.

I specifically want stained cabinets on the bottom, not painted, for less paint chipping potential.

The two tone white/cherry look is definitely done, but Im thinking Ill regret it and Ill probably get all cherry because my taste leans to traditional/transitional.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I specifically want stained cabinets on the bottom, not painted, for less paint chipping potential.

The two tone white/cherry look is definitely done, but Im thinking Ill regret it and Ill probably get all cherry because my taste leans to traditional/transitional.

It's done but it's not such a nice match. Black and grey go better with white.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:41 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
It's done but it's not such a nice match. Black and grey go better with white.

Thanks, but thats too modern a look for me, and that would mean upper and lower cabinets painted, and likely to chip.

Has anyone done an all cherry kitchen lately? If yes, did you go traditional or transitional?

tweety1

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:47 am
I was scared to do dark cabinets in a kitchen that's not very big. I saw such a kitchen a it looks very small. Dark cabinets make a kitchen look much smaller while light cabinets make it look much bigger. That was just my personal experience.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:50 am
If you don't want to do white, you can do a light beige/neutral.

Amarante

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:57 am
I haven't seen the combination of cherry and white cabinets.

When I have seen it done, it is walnut and white cabinets and it is quite lovely. The dark stained cherry is not a particularly popular finish now and is very traditional. Mixing white and wood is more of a modern/transitional style.

For example, Shaker doors are generally not done in dark cherry but generally in white, gray, other color or white oak, maple or unstained cherry.

I wouldn't worry about a *dark* kitchen as kitchens are used when the sun isn't shining anyway. I recently remodeled and my kitchen doesn't have natural light but I opted for medium stained white oak quarter sawn cabinets with a darker granite. I have lots of lighting - overhead; under cabinet as well some accent lights. I have copper accents (sink, tile, hardware) plus my granite is Black Galaxy which has copper metallic flecks so it looks dramatic when lit rather than drab.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, you will get much better advice by asking on the Houzz.com forums. People there really know their stuff - many are professionals - and are very helpful. They will be able to post pictures of what your kitchen might look like and they also are very helpful in advising on the best layout - which is very important for relatively small kitchens which need to make every inch work.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 12:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My kitchen area is about a 10' X 10' U shape. Not tiny, but not big.

I lean to traditional/transitional.

Because of not wanting a totally dark kitchen or a totally white unpractical kitchen, someone suggested I do White upper/Cherry lower Kitchen Cabinets.

Is it choppy looking?

Or do I just do all cherry with lots of LED lights?

If you have White upper/Cherry lower Kitchen Cabinets, what cabinet style did you choose?

I hate that look. Looks like someone forget to finish

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 1:30 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I hate that look. Looks like someone forget to finish

I agree, but a well known decorator suggested it to give me a more light look in the kitchen, so I was considering it.

tweety1

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 1:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I agree, but a well known decorator suggested it to give me a more light look in the kitchen, so I was considering it.

My experience with decorators and interior designers was that they go alot by what's in now. They're not into what's practical unless you specifically specify that you don't care what's in but you want what's the best for this room.

Amarante

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 1:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I remodeled recently with the help of a decorator.

It was a collaboration and while I think the result is amazing and could not have been achieved without her expertise, I was very active in providing her with my aspirational looks. We would discuss stuff and she would explain why she was suggesting something and I would explain why I needed something or why something did or didn’t work for me. It was educational because I don’t have a design background and I process the world verbally rather than visually so having her explain why certain choices worked better than others was illuminating.

She would always provide me with choices. Generally three so it wasn’t over whelming. And I would generally agree with her first choice or we would discuss why I preferred alternative and we would tweak.

There are so many beautiful ways to design a kitchen and it is silly to choose one solely because a designer recommends it. I told my designer what periods styles I like and then she provided interpretsti9ns but we also tweaked together and some of her design choices I rejected.

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Mar 13 2020, 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 2:01 pm
tweety1 wrote:
My experience with decorators and interior designers was that they go alot by what's in now. They're not into what's practical unless you specifically specify that you don't care what's in but you want what's the best for this room.

The 2 tone is very practical in that the upper cabinets arent dark and make the room look bigger, while the lower cabinets are cherry and stained and practical as far as no stains showing and less likely to chip, so it wins in practicality, but I might get used to a 2 tone kitchen, but maybe not.

Librarian

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 2:37 pm
I have an all dark cherry wood kitchen. I would call it black/brown. Light floor, light granite,light backsplash. Plenty of glass fronted upper cabinets. White walls. It's gorgeous. But be aware, stained wood also gets scuffed up. After 10 years I restained it. Even a bit darker. I would not like that "black and white cookie" look.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen