Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Vitamin C everyone!!!!!
Previous  1  2

thanks

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 7:30 pm
Vitamin D is known to fight colds and flu. Lots of research done on this. We are all deficient and should be taking it anyway. (it's fat soluble, so be mindful of the dosage.)

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 11:57 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Vitamin C as sodium ascorbate powder helps clear and thin mucus in respiratory infections.
Vitamin d3 and A fights illness.
Elderberry and zinc fights flu-like viruses.
Fresh garlic is antiviral.

I heard elderberry works terrible with this virus, so make sure your not taking it now. Also make sure your vitamin c doesnt haev eldebery in it as some brands do

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:28 am
What happens if you take elderberry?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:58 am
Seeking Peace wrote:
high vitamin c can be dangerous in pregnancy- please exercise caution

Only in very high doses in very early pregnancy.

In general, follow specific guidelines, not just "throw all these vitamins at it."

Vitamin C has specific dosage suggestions, including how to know if your body needs or doesn't need any more of it. Taking huge amounts without being aware of dosages is foolish, and taking large amounts of Vitamin C prophylactically (I.e. as a preventative) may not be a good idea.

IF you find yourself coming down with the flu or a similar type of virus, a ONE-TIME (not more) dosage of 50,000 IU of Vitamin D (for an adult) is safe; alternatively 10,000 IU of Vitamin D taken 3x per day for 2 days MAXIMUM is safe. More than that MAY be dangerous.

Vitamin C in the form of ascorbic acid is very hard on your stomach. If you are megadosing in response to coming down with an illness, it is probably better to use a buffered form like sodium ascorbate. Take a half teaspoon or so (mix into juice), repeat every hour or so until your body lets you know it had enough (gas, looser stools than usual). Do it again the next day.

Vitamin D supplementation is in general a good idea, but do not megadose! 4000 IU on a daily basis is the upper recommended limit according to many, others say 8000 for an adult - but definitely do not go above that as a daily supplement!

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:59 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
What???

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28353648

You didn’t read the article. They come to no conclusions and in fact admit that vitamin C in PHYSICALLY ACTIVE people can shorten the duration of colds. There are other articles that show that regular intense exercise may also decrease illness and duration of illness.

Vitamin C is a good nutrient, but it’s not the wonder vitamin you were raised to believe. More of it does nothing more than raise the content of it in your urine.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 1:14 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
You didn’t read the article. They come to no conclusions and in fact admit that vitamin C in PHYSICALLY ACTIVE people can shorten the duration of colds. There are other articles that show that regular intense exercise may also decrease illness and duration of illness.

Vitamin C is a good nutrient, but it’s not the wonder vitamin you were raised to believe. More of it does nothing more than raise the content of it in your urine.

Look for studies on IV C (megadoses of Vitamin C given via intravenous).

Most Vitamin C studies do not give high enough doses ("gut tolerance") to show the benefits. You need to take the maximum amount of Vitamin C that your body can handle in order to take away symptoms.

Try it yourself - on a "healthy" day, 1 gram may be enough for you to start feeling gassy, and on a day when you are sick, you can take 6 grams to get to the same point. Don't take it all at once, obviously - give your body a chance to let you know you've had enough!

Your body clears the vitamin C within a half hour to 2 hours, but if you have high enough levels of Vitamin C, it is "pushed" into cells with a strong antioxidant effect that can make it harder for viruses and bacteria to multiply.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 2:01 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I heard elderberry works terrible with this virus, so make sure your not taking it now. Also make sure your vitamin c doesnt haev eldebery in it as some brands do

To each their own.
I'm taking it unless you have a good source for this.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 6:25 am
Everyone please do what you want .
This thread was meant to be informative.
Take from it what you want.
Just if chas vshalom s/o is in desperate need of a yeshua.
try it.
even as your last resort.
I know people whose lives were saved using vit c.
I myself took very very high doses in pregnancy(around 40 grams in one day), because I was hospitalized and was quite sick.
Your body uses vit c as needed so a healthy person doesnt need to much and will reach toxic levels faster. when the body is under any kind of stress it uses vit c faster. and need more of it. if one is very sick it is unlikely you will reach toxic level.
ALSO your body will tell you when it is enough vit c. it will cause loose bowl movements.
when I was sick I showed no signs of reaching enough vit c.

make sure your vit d levels are good
take around 5000iu a day for maintenance.
more if you need to raise your levels

hatzlacha

hannah22

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 10:13 am
I do believe that we have to be cautious, supplements are not meant to overtake a good, nutritious diet and the truth is that if you have a good diet you actually don't need them. There are of course exceptions for people with vitamin b12 deficiency, vitamin d deficiency etc. But you should really find out your level, before you start taking a supplement, as otherwise you could be consuming too much.

Also, while I don't generally take supplements on a daily basis, I take them mainly if I am unwell for example in the past when I've had viral infections, then I would take a higher dose of vitamin c/zinc/vitamic d or whatever. This is because in that sort of situation it's safe to take them, as the body will use the vitamin in a constructive way - I.e. to fight the infection. It's when a person takes it when they are completely WELL and NOT low in the vitamin that is the problem - as in that case the body might not "need" it, so it could cause other unwanted effects. But for example if, G-d forbid, a person has the flu, then they can take it every day until they recover.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics