Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Will De Blasio close public schools or endanger school staff
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 9:42 pm
Will De Blasio close public schools or endanger school staff?

What is De Blasio waiting for, to spread it to hundreds (kids sneezing and coughing on one another and teachers?

mamma llama

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 9:46 pm
Many students in the public school system don't have homes as we do. I know of some public schools that even have washing machines in their buildings for students.

There is a greater risk of harm to the students by canceling schools than there is by keeping their classes in session.

As a side note, do you really want those kids running wild in your neighborhood...?

Ravenclaw

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 9:46 pm
NYC isn’t closing down yet because many many children come from low income homes and many are even homeless and rely on school food and social services. Even if schools do close, those children won’t be able to move to distance learning b/c of no internet and libraries.

Ravenclaw

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 9:47 pm
And as an aside, sneezing isn’t a corona symptom. Sorry just a pet peeve of mine.

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 9:48 pm
Just wondering about their staff. My mother is over 60 and works in a NYC public school and she is not the only one over 60 there.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 9:55 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
And as an aside, sneezing isn’t a corona symptom. Sorry just a pet peeve of mine.

We all know sneezing isnt a Coronavirus symptom (coughing and fever is).

BUT are you saying someone's Coronavirus infected body fluids coming from noses, tossed at another, wont give it to the one sneezed on?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 9:56 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
NYC isn’t closing down yet because many many children come from low income homes and many are even homeless and rely on school food and social services. Even if schools do close, those children won’t be able to move to distance learning b/c of no internet and libraries.

Thats a good reason to spread the Virus to the entire NYC.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 9:57 pm
Schools main concern should be the students not the staff .
If a staff member has a concern they should take off work

mamma llama

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:01 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Schools main concern should be the students not the staff .
If a staff member has a concern they should take off work

This.

pause

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:03 pm
He hasn't done it yet for several very valid reasons:
1) Low income students who rely on school for meals
2) Fear of unsupervised teenagers on the street
3) Parents who are healthcare providers and need their kids in school

Teachers are essential workers along the lines of healthcare providers, food suppliers, gas and electric workers, and so on.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:03 pm
They can arrange locations for daily meal pick up. That's what the public school system is doing in my state. They can have the kids take books home to read, and/or prepare paper work packets for those who have no internet access. Also, the state government can provide child care for medical personnel.

m987

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:04 pm
I am a headstart teacher and we have to stay open even though all the local schools are closed. It is upsetting because we have cases in the community and we have to show up to work possibly putting ourselves at risk. I don’t think that’s fair.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:05 pm
Closing schools and businesses will do more harm than good.
We should just go on with normal life till this blows over! The elderly and sick/immunocompromised should stay home & everyone else should go on with life. Panicking and stopping the world is accomplishing nothing. It is not dangerous for a healthy person to get the virus, certainly not dangerous enough for the world to turn upside down.

groovy1224

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:09 pm
Classic NYC. Better to endanger everyone than it is to protect those we can. As long as middle class individuals are getting infected at an equal rate as low income individuals, DeBlasio can sleep at night.

No, it's not fair to the low income kids. It's frightening, horrible, and so terribly unfair that it should come to this. But oddly enough, this virus doesn't seem to be politically correct.

Other localities are figuring out ways to get meals to those who need them. Figuring out ways to alleviate the financial burden on parents who have to stay home with their kids.

I'm not saying students who are poor or homeless or come from broken homes are disposable or not worthy of consideration. But at some point we have to do the math. Let's save who we can right now, and then tirelessly brainstorm to save the rest. Don't wait till it's too late to save anyone.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:12 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
Classic NYC. Better to endanger everyone than it is to protect those we can. As long as middle class individuals are getting infected at an equal rate as low income individuals, DeBlasio can sleep at night.

No, it's not fair to the low income kids. It's frightening, horrible, and so terribly unfair that it should come to this. But oddly enough, this virus doesn't seem to be politically correct.

Other localities are figuring out ways to get meals to those who need them. Figuring out ways to alleviate the financial burden on parents who have to stay home with their kids.

I'm not saying students who are poor or homeless or come from broken homes are disposable or not worthy of consideration. But at some point we have to do the math. Let's save who we can right now, and then tirelessly brainstorm to save the rest. Don't wait till it's too late to save anyone.

You're making it sound like people are dying in the masses! No one needs to be saved. If a teacher feels that she doesn't want to go in, they don't have to.

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:26 pm
mamma llama wrote:
This.

Agree. I’m not a teacher (I’m a healthcare worker in NYC) and strongly believe that closing the schools should be the absolute last resort. Too many kids rely on school for their food, mental health services and of course child care. With so many low income, dysfunctional and homeless kids in the NYC public schools they absolutely need the stability of school. Im not ignorant to the risks to the teachers but it’s what they signed up for when the became NYC public school teachers (and what I signed up for as a healthcare worker in NYC. Patients first)

icedcoffee

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:36 pm
Quote:
a teacher feels that she doesn't want to go in, they don't have to.

Quote:
if a staff member has a concern they should take off work

How? We only have three self treated days a year.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:42 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Im not ignorant to the risks to the teachers but it’s what they signed up for when the became NYC public school teachers (and what I signed up for as a healthcare worker in NYC. Patients first)

Going to work (going and coming endangers people as well), and being there, all especially dangerous for staff over a certain age.

No they didnt sign up for endangering their lives. This is a once in a century situation.

ectomorph

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:42 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Closing schools and businesses will do more harm than good.
We should just go on with normal life till this blows over! The elderly and sick/immunocompromised should stay home & everyone else should go on with life. Panicking and stopping the world is accomplishing nothing. It is not dangerous for a healthy person to get the virus, certainly not dangerous enough for the world to turn upside down.

You're a eugenicist and social darwinist. Google those terms to see what company you keep.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:45 pm
No, a teacher isn't signed up for the same medical risks as a health care provider.
And, as mentioned, just about every other large school systems have things in place to provide meals.
Not to mention, teachers can't just take off. And even if they do, who do you think is going to be willing to sub for them?? Schools will end up herding 400+ kids into an auditorium to watch a movie because they don't have enough coverage. Great way to spread germs. Plus no meaningful learning going on anyway.
I really think this, if nothing else, may end up ending de Blasio's future political aspirations. Probably Cuomo, too
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics