Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Therapy appointments
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:00 am
Are therapists canceling? Should I cancel? I usually take public transportation... I live in an area where there are people who have tested positive

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:02 am

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:05 am
Call your therapist/ office. I know clinics are making video sessions available across NY.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:15 am
My appointments are on so far... more worried about a wedding I need to attend tomorrow

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:16 am
I met my therapist on Friday and she said they are preparing in case of quarantine to do teletherapy

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 4:37 pm
I have an appointment tomorrow so I’ll see what happens

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 6:22 pm
My next appointment isn't until next week, but I am already nervous that it shouldn't be cancelled. So disconcerting to me to feel so desperate at the thought of not going in. Hopefully, iyH, things will hopefully be okay enough for us all to be able to go to our appointments.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 6:27 pm
Mine is offering phone or skype. It's not helpful for me so I'll probably be canceling.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 7:10 pm
Achieve Behavioral Health (Monsey Bikur Cholim/CAPS) set up a website through which group and individual sessions can be had. I used it today and it worked well!

My psychiatrist did a phone session. It felt awful to pay him $175 for a 15 minute phone call!!

Last edited by amother on Mon, Mar 16 2020, 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:26 pm
For those with little children who are home due to schools closing: how will you do a Skype session with your kids around?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 1:13 am
I am a therapist in private practice. Right now, I am doing a combination of in-person and remote therapy. I trust that my clients would inform me if they (or their children) are having flu-like symptoms, although realistically I think that at this point, most of us have been exposed. I encourage my clients to sanitize their hands before we get started, and I do the same. I clean all surfaces between clients. And I daven -- that my clients and I will remain safe and healthy.

I believe that continuity of care is important. Many of my clients are home with young children, and being on the phone for 45 minutes is not realistic for them. I also get it that it is a lot of money to spend for being on the phone with someone --even if it is your therapist. It just does not feel the same and is not the same (although the session can actually be quite productive in many cases!)

In addition to the client's benefits and continuity of care, realistically, I have to be working as I am self-employed and my family needs my income. It is all in the hands of Hashem, and I am working on myself not be overly concerned, but as long as the situation allows, I am going to continue seeing clients B"H.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 9:32 am
Is anyone still going in person?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 9:38 am
I went in person yesterday... I won’t be in town so I may take a break till after pesach or I can do by phone or video

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 9:43 am
This is one of my biggest sources of anxiety! Seems so silly when I only go for 45 min, but the idea of missing sessions is hard. I need extra sessions not missed ones.
Anyone know what most clinics plan on doing?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 10:41 am
So, things have changed since I posted two days ago saying I am still seeing clients in person.

I am now transitioning to remote / teletherapy. This is following the many reported accounts of confirmed cases all around Brooklyn. And unfortunately, I am sure it is only the tip of the iceberg. It is likely that I have been exposed while servicing the community. (But the chances of getting exposed at Moishes or Mountain fruit while Pesach shopping are just as great or greater).

It is stressful for clients, and it is stressful for therapists too. It is my responsibility to ensure a high level of care, and it is harder to do so remotely. I also have to set some sort of a home office, with kids underfoot, zooming classes or on the phone, and with my husband at home out of employment now due to the current situation...

May Hashem help us through this challenging time, and may we all stay healthy.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:27 am
I work in the office of a mental health practice (in Lakewood). We have set up and trained our therapists for telehealth. As of now, each client/therapist is making their own decisions. If we are told that we should not do in-person sessions we will switch over. (Our group sessions are moving to telehealth as of now)

I know that Chemed is still seeing behavioral health clients in the office (I have appts today & tomorrow).

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:30 am
I B”H don’t feel desperate for therapy but I did keep my appointment for Friday because I figured by the time Friday comes around I’ll be losing my sanity and the therapist can help give me tools and tips to ground myself and stay sane under these conditions.
The therapist is struggling just as much if not more. She said it will be a huge challenge to have her kids behave while she works locked in a room in session remotely . It’s not easy for anyone

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 1:44 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Achieve Behavioral Health (Monsey Bikur Cholim/CAPS) set up a website through which group and individual sessions can be had. I used it today and it worked well!

My psychiatrist did a phone session. It felt awful to pay him $175 for a 15 minute phone call!!

$175 for 15 minutes? That is criminal! My therapist was $100 for a full hour (and not a minute less.)

For those of you who are saying that video or phone appointments won't work for them, please give it a try if you can. I didn't think it would ever work for me, until I found a frum male therapist who would only "meet" with women over the phone, not even video. He was exceptionally good, and was able to convey exactly what I needed, and understood me completely even without seeing body language. A good therapist can read tone of voice without needing to see you.

Even just talking to someone over the phone, if they are good, can give you the chizzuk you need right now. If you are seriously needing your therapy to be consistent, at least give it a shot.

BTW, Maccabi is asking that anyone who has a routine question or medication review for their doctor, to only do it by video appointment. All non-emergency office visits have been cancelled.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 1:50 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
$175 for 15 minutes? That is criminal! My therapist was $100 for a full hour (and not a minute less.)

For those of you who are saying that video or phone appointments won't work for them, please give it a try if you can. I didn't think it would ever work for me, until I found a frum male therapist who would only "meet" with women over the phone, not even video. He was exceptionally good, and was able to convey exactly what I needed, and understood me completely even without seeing body language. A good therapist can read tone of voice without needing to see you.

Even just talking to someone over the phone, if they are good, can give you the chizzuk you need right now. If you are seriously needing your therapy to be consistent, at least give it a shot.

BTW, Maccabi is asking that anyone who has a routine question or medication review for their doctor, to only do it by video appointment. All non-emergency office visits have been cancelled.

I hope I read that price wrong.
How awful it will be if prices rise because of this.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 1:55 pm
100. For an hour of therapy
That is extremely cheap?!
Most are 200 for 45min
I would love to use your therapist!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics