Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
NY’s should assume they’ve been exposed to the coronavirus

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 8:08 am
New York officials have effectively stopped trying to trace COVID-19 cases — saying everyone should assume they have already come into contact with the potentially deadly virus, according to an alarming report.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/15/.....ials/

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 8:10 am
I've been saying this for weeks. By refusing to test for so long they let it spread, so now anyone can be assumed to have it. That's why many communities are beginning to shut everything down as much as possible.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 8:31 am
so now what?

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 8:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
New York officials have effectively stopped trying to trace COVID-19 cases — saying everyone should assume they have already come into contact with the potentially deadly virus, according to an alarming report.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/15/.....ials/

It seems they don't actually think everyone in NYC has actually been exposed to coronavirus.

Rather, health authorities don't have the resources to track the geographical history of every corona-infected NY resident, so as a precaution, they want all NYers to *behave as if* they're potential carriers (practice social distancing, etc.).

Of course, if *all* NYers *actually* had coronavirus, I guess they wouldn't need to worry about social distancing from one another, because there's nobody left to infect...

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 8:49 am
lamplighter wrote:
so now what?

So now we wait to see who dies.

I’m under 60, but with one of the listed conditions. My husband is nearly 70 with several conditions. We married late and have teens. I’ve already contacted friends to ask them to ensure our kids have places for holidays, and that they look after them if we both die. Which is what I’m honestly anticipating.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 9:00 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:

I’m under 60, but with one of the listed conditions. My husband is nearly 70 with several conditions. We married late and have teens. I’ve already contacted friends to ask them to ensure our kids have places for holidays, and that they look after them if we both die. Which is what I’m honestly anticipating.

With all due respect, it's a little melodramatic. I'm in my 20 and have a suppressed immune system due to meds so yes I'm at risk, with a baby and a toddler. I'm not preparing to die.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 9:02 am

Please stop the hysteria. The percentage of deaths is at the most 7%. Your chances of dying are very low.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 9:05 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Please stop the hysteria. The percentage of deaths is at the most 7%. Your chances of dying are very low.

7 out of 100 is pretty high if you ask me, and definitely something to be concerned about. (Though it's definitely lower than that, probably not more than 3% and likely closer to 1%. Though even 1% means it's ten times more lethal than the flu. 7% would be 70 times higher than flu!)

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 9:07 am
What it means is you've likely been exposed. Not that you have it, not that you're going to die ch"v.

Avoid crowds. Avoid gatherings. Wash your hands. Don't hoard supplies. Stay home as much as you can. Keep yourself and others safe.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 9:13 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

My husband’s risk factors place him at well over 10%. I’m a little under that.

Glad you think it’s hysteria. Maybe if it were your husband, you’d understand.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 9:20 am
My husband’s risk factors place him at well over 10%. I’m a little under that.

Glad you think it’s hysteria. Maybe if it were your husband, you’d understand.

Come back next year here and celebrate your anniversary together in good health!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 9:26 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Come back next year here and celebrate your anniversary together in good health!

B’li ayin hara. Thank you.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 9:29 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I've been saying this for weeks. By refusing to test for so long they let it spread, so now anyone can be assumed to have it. That's why many communities are beginning to shut everything down as much as possible.

And this is why I think it's a waste of time to shut down schools now! Too late. May as well keep the elderly and vulnerable away. I'm in the UK and we've been told the same. I was just in town shopping and its heaving as usual. Life goes on.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 9:33 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
And this is why I think it's a waste of time to shut down schools now! Too late. May as well keep the elderly and vulnerable away. I'm in the UK and we've been told the same. I was just in town shopping and its heaving as usual. Life goes on.

The UK is trying to experiment with creating herd immunity. A real risk and not a prime example to follow.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 9:35 am
https://www.washingtonpost.com.....ator/

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 9:54 am
Very good info here, including Trump's declaring a national emergency (don't panic, it's just to free up funds to help combat the virus.)

https://www.voanews.com/scienc.....ntial
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics