Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Who says you have to be poor to get WIC?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 9:58 pm
Don't assume so.
I'm posting this so those of you who are eligible can go apply and for those who judge "why is she on WIC, she has a good job?"

I B"H have a decent job. I make about $40,000 a year. I know it's not GREAT, but it's enough, B"H. But with 3 kids, we qualify for WIC. You can make up to $44,000 for a family of 5!

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 10:07 pm
I called WIC when we were paying out $90 a week just for special high calorie formula. That was an EXTRA $360 a month not in our budget. They said we didn't meet the income requirements. We were told that no matter what your special circumstances, you do have to meet the income requirements. BH after 6 months our babies moved to regular formula and then at 12 months moved to milk.

raizy

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 10:14 pm
allright so then I quilify for wic. and section 8 . and I have a legal job....

pple dont realize that even with a dream job. the salarey can become very poor when u got to split it even with 8 pple....!!!!not enough to go around.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 10:45 pm
I once read that in some areas there were numerous unclaimed benefits. People didn't want to go to the bother of applying for WIC and routinely going to their office.

Maya

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 9:08 am
Many people are eligible for WIC; the income can be a lot more than those eligible for Food Stamps and Medicaid. But as Southernbubby says, many don't want the hassle of having to go every 3 months, weigh all the kids, answer all those questions.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 10:04 am
As I said on another thread, my dd was at risk so she got WIC. In comparison, one year DS grew so much they took him off.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 11:45 am
I've been on wic since my son's pregnancy but I havent recertified in a year!!! My recertification date was right before Pesch, I just5 didnt have time to go, and by after pesach I'd have had to go get my son finger pricked for his blood count (mandatory) and didnt feel like hurting him for 2 bottles of milk, a can of apple juice, anda dozen eggs a week. But now I realized that we can really really use it since food prices went up so much, but I'm still loathe to get him finger pricked for food... I just dont know what to do...

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 12:48 pm
Mindy, regardless it is good to have a blood test done every so often to check that everything is okay. Doesn't your pediatrician test for lead at age 1 and 2? mine does. so it's just done once a year and it can be used for wic.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 1:31 pm
they needa blood count and it cant be over 60 days earlier. my pedidoesnt do random blood counts, no.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 1:33 pm
so do you all agree that it's basically an income test to qualify for WIC and if you make too much money, you can't qualify? Because everyone and their uncle was telling us to apply because of the $90 a week in formula we had to buy. I don't understand why everyone is pushing WIC WIC WIC when most people aren't low income enough to qualify.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 3:51 pm
Lots of people do have low enough incomes.

They aren't going to consider your expenses (AFAIK), just your income. If you make $100,000 a year and pay $75,000 in debts, you still make a hundred grand. Otherwise, אין לדבר סוף and everyone would qualify for WIC, wouldn't they?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 4:55 pm
mamabear the prick is for your benefit not to make you pay for taking the food. (are you not going to give your kids shots because it hurts?)
Also everyone is crying (see the other thread about govt assistance) and all of a sudden its so hard for them to pick up food, they dont have time etc..
Well of course if I would get thousands of dollars in free money (section 8, food stamp etc) I would also not bother with this amount. Have we become spoiled?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 5:36 pm
if you need it, it's worth "making sure your son is healthy!" the 100$ you spend on food that they'll give you, can go to something else you need!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 5:38 pm
we earn 60,000 a year and have 7 kids. we qualify and we don't consider ourselves poor.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 7:29 pm
uh -amther, if this were a test my doctor ordred I wouldnt bat an eyelash. but it's ony for WIC! My doctor doesn't request 2 blood counts a year! My son raises such hell every time he gets a finger prick, that I'm not in the mood!! I know I'll eventually do it because milk and eggs are so expensive these days, but it's hard for me to go get 'free food' at teh expense of my son's comfort.

Motek

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 8:28 pm
Interesting how some posters think that the govt. is providing food for families that are not in need of it.

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 9:15 pm
I don't do it because my children have dairy allergies and they won't give us other forms of protein besides eggs, milk and cheese. So I am not going to do all that hassle for a few cartens of eggs and some apple juice.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 9:26 pm
WIC - peanut butter by the barrel but dont even think of fruits or vegetables- govt at work Scratching Head

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 9:37 pm
wic caused my ds to be addictd to apple juice, because we got like 2-3 cans of juice a week, so who doyou think drank it? argh.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 10:47 pm
They caused it? Why did you have to give it to him? Do they force you to take the apple juice? Scratching Head
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics