Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tuition and school closure
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 10:00 am
Chayalle wrote:
Didn't read the whole thread yet...but DH told me the Halacha is, if government forces closure in time of a magefa, you are obligated to pay tuition. If they close on their own due to their own fears, then you don't have to pay.

So it seems to me that we are halachically obligated to pay tuition now...at least where I live, where the closure is state-mandated.

So in Los Angeles, some areas of NY, the Midwest -really anywhere in the USA besides NJ and San Francisco (and maybe Washington State)- the schools aren't forced to be closed. Public schools were forced in some areas and there are recommendations to close but it isn't government mandated as seen by the fact that some schools are closed for 3 days, some a week, some until after Pesach...
Everyone needs a discount. Again art, gym, school cooks, are doing NOTHING. I still have to go to work every day and am scrambling to find a family member to watch. I am buying workbooks or other items to teach my kids, things to keep them entertained... And I can't afford it!!!

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 10:02 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I think teachers should take a cut- let’s say 25%- and the parents should get a 25% discount. That would be fair. No one needs to walk away with 100% of what they want. Everyone can tighten their belts a bit. Not just parents.

That would be true if $ for $ was going to teachers. But it’s not.
And I’m not sure it’s fair to ask salaries teachers to take pay cut.
People who work in schools who are paid hourly are often paid waaaaay more then teachers.
The risk though is that they aren’t salaried. Being salaried comes with certain protections.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 12:08 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I think it's important to understand that everyone is taking hits here. Just off the top of my head, not counting school tuition and only through the end of March, I am paying $700 for unusable daycare, $200 in various unusable memberships, $1700 for a babysitter to come to my home to watch my kids for the full work day, every weekday, $100 for downtown parking I won't use, $100 for sports that are canceled, and $260 for cleaning services I won't receive.

Some establishments will refund. Gym closed sent an e-mail that they are closing and will not charge customers again until they re-open.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 12:40 pm
I am a teacher. One of the main reasons I do, rather than taking an hourly job in Special Ed, is that I need a salary to support my family. I simply cannot afford the risk of an hourly job, even though the hourly rate is much, much higher.
Do you actually think that we should not receive our salary now? My salary is annual, not per diem. I get paid the same in a month full of yom tov and a month with no days off. I understand you are frustrated and feel overwhelmed. But please, think about what you are saying. Should principals also not be paid? Secretaries? Maintenance staff? You do realize that if what you propose would happen, you are permanently shuttering every school that would implement your idea. Your (misplaced?) anger is really not only unkind, but not smart.

chipmunks

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:07 pm
As a child of retired teachers, I can tell you a few things.

1. That percentage that's going to salaries is because there are a lot of teachers, especially when you account for both kodesh and chol. Teachers paying for tuition for their kids (which obviously happens when the kids attend schools other than where they work) are often exceptionally tight on money. If you think you should get a cut in exchange for the teachers taking a cut, remember that a good chunk of their salary is probably going to their own tuition expenses.

2. There is a big misconception, even in the frum community where we tend to value more of what our teachers do. This job entails way, way more work than it looks like on paper, for less pay than you might think. My father worked the whole school day teaching up to two different grades. Then there were lesson plans, special projects and programs, staff meetings, parent-teacher conferences, PTA meetings, parents who sometimes unfortunately had to call or be called after hours several times a week, when the summer comes you don't always get the vacation, and if you do you just might teach summer school or work a temporary retail job because you need to. My mother was on a more part-time schedule but the pay cut for that was not a joke.

3. It is a stressful job. Lots of us have stressful jobs, I know, I know. Watching what my parents went through made me decide to never be a full-time teacher no matter how many people have suggested it based on my personality, etc. If it were paid better I think I'd consider it. At least other stressful jobs tend to be more appreciated. It was awful to always hear people complaining (!) that my parents "at least have the summer off." Nope, not always.

If I hadn't seen it first-hand I don't think I would have the same perspective, so not judging anyone for feeling like the teachers take up so much of the tuition expenses or whatever. Just offering another point of view.

ETA: I understand the concerns about paying for bills (including tuition) right now. I'm only explaining why it shouldn't come at the teachers' expense.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 7:23 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I recognize their hard work and appreciate it. At the same time, it's not clear to me why I'm paying the same rate when the costs and the value are definitely not the same.

your kidding right? I feel like my school should pay me MORE. I have been working triple as hard and putting in way more hours of preparation than in real school.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 7:29 pm
not to mention - all of these online lessons have all the parents watching. so stressful. try teaching a great lesson when you are camera shy and not comfortable speaking in front of adults.

small bean

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 7:38 pm
I appreciate all the teachers even more now, looking at what they put together in this short time and setting up distance learning quickly. So thank you teachers and I hope you gwt paid on time, the expected amount.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 7:41 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Some establishments will refund. Gym closed sent an e-mail that they are closing and will not charge customers again until they re-open.

Yes, some will stop charging or refund as a matter of course. Others will do so when pressed by individuals, something I did not try. Also, some of my costs were not strictly mandatory. I chose to pay my cleaners for two weeks when legally I had no obligation to do so.

But the point is that nearly everyone is bearing some of this burden. Very few people, and certainly not elementary teachers, are making out like bandits. There's no need for resentment.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics