Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
What's up with home based playgroups?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:19 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I don't care about Dr. Shanik's opinion. We got a letter from the OCFS to give to parents with the rules and regulations regarding Covid-19. There is also a sign posted on the entrance to my playgroup. And that is the regulation.

Thanks. Can you post it?

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If or rather, when my kids will stay home from school, I am definitely not bringing them to any public places like grocery stores!!
We all have to use our seichel even without being told "we're being quarantined"!!
If gyms are closed and minyanim are held outdoors, it makes sense to limit all contacts in the community!

But will YOU go to the store? If you do how exactly will you be protecting them?

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:26 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Thanks. Can you post it?

I don't know how to do that but I will write it out exactly: In recent weeks, OCFS has shared information with child care programs regarding ways to respond to novel coronavirus (COVID-19). This document contains important information and resources to assist parents who are looking for child care. Please note: if you or your child are instructed to quarantine, your child may not attend a child care program during the specified timeframe. Thank you for your cooperation with preventing the spread of this illness.

This is the first paragraph of the letter I had to give to all the parents last week.

lucky14

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:33 pm
The closing of schools is to keep the older people from getting sick and dying. The children and babies can spread it SO easily and could be sick with it and no one would know they had it. Are they allowing playgroups to remain open because they are worried about parents not being able to work otherwise? Because they assume playgroup means fewer kids together? I think it makes very little sense to keep them open. And btw to the person who wrote about everyone going out anyway and being exposed anyway- well you guys shouldn't be going out then. Everyone should be sticking close to home as much as possible. Get things delivered. If you go to the store don't touch your face while out, disinfect hands once leaving, wash hands when you get home. Do whatever you can to minimize risk of it spreading. There are so many posts about what is happening in other countries and the overloads to hospitals- why are we even having to repeat these things???
What will happen if you tell the moms you will be closing the group down for now?

Last edited by lucky14 on Tue, Mar 17 2020, 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

lucky14

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:37 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
But will YOU go to the store? If you do how exactly will you be protecting them?

It's especially hard for children to not put their hands on their face, in their mouth, or in the case of babies to lick shopping carts, etc. Adults have a better time (even though it's still hard) to remember and control ourselves from touching our faces and washing our hands well after being in public areas and touching things.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:39 pm
Maybe I am just fatalistic, but I don't believe you can really avoid getting infected if you go out in public at all.

amother
White

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 8:46 am
I live in Baltimore where all the frum schools and yeshivos voluntarily closed starting Monday (for the safety of the community not due to government mandate). I can't say all, because I haven't contacted all, but the playgroups closed too. I also know of babysitters that babysit in their houses that announced they were closing too. It's the only way to stop this virus from spreading.

The shuls in Baltimore closed. If shul is closed that is severe and really as little human physical interaction as possible should be implemented.

2gether

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:57 pm
Don't worry, in a few days you will be closed like Israel too

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:27 pm
I don’t understand it either. If schools must close down, daycares and playground should also be closed. Where is the logic in this?

Bh my sons school closed tomorrow but even if it was left open I wouldn’t send.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:29 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I don’t understand it either. If schools must close down, daycares and playground should also be closed. Where is the logic in this?

Bh my sons school closed tomorrow but even if it was left open I wouldn’t send.

But did you send Monday and today? For all the people that did you already contributed to the spread of this exponentially

amother
Green

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:37 pm
I truly feel sorry for the financial struggle of playgroup Morah’s if they close their groups. However, these are dangerous times. You’ve got to do what you’ve got to do and that is stop the spread of the virus. There is no difference between schools and playgroups-they are children who touch everything and do not wash their hands and most definitely don’t practice social distancing. This means they can be carried germs and infecting those around him.
Saying I’m assuming I’m already exposed is a lazy answer. Yes, we should all assume we’ve been exposed and act accordingly-which Is isolate as much as possible. Do you really need the governor to put rules in place so you understand the severity of the situation?
Jewish people are dying of this!
Edited to say-the ONLY playgroups that should be open are for children of healthcare workers and grocery store employees if they have nobody else to watch their kids. And something tells me the majority of playgroups are not those

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:40 pm
So why don’t you just prorate the month, give everyone back the rest of the month $ and close up? You don’t HAVE to stay open. And if you give people back the remainder of the month, they’ll find somewhere else to send and understand that you did what you believe you had to do.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 6:35 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
But did you send Monday and today? For all the people that did you already contributed to the spread of this exponentially

As per our governor Wednesday is the day everything is starting.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 7:01 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
So talk to the governor. The executive order was very clear that facilities that are for preschool or daycares only can stay open. If this is now the law, not only can she stay open but she should because parents paid. Both legally and halachically. She can only close if she's ordered to.

Halachically, she should definitely close up. She is contributing to the spreading of the virus by staying open. Unbelievable, that our communities are waiting for people to die in order to take this seriously. It took Boro Park until today to take it seriously, anybody with some common sense knew that it was spreading like wildfire on Purim already.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 7:02 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
So why don’t you just prorate the month, give everyone back the rest of the month $ and close up? You don’t HAVE to stay open. And if you give people back the remainder of the month, they’ll find somewhere else to send and understand that you did what you believe you had to do.

Halachiclly I believe the morahs don’t have to give back money if they charge monthly and the closure was forced on them.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 7:17 pm
I am closing my playgroup and will ask a rav if and how much I have to reimburse parents.
To leave it open is not an option at this time.
My kids are not allowed to go into neighbor's house and although my son's morah is not closing I will not be sending him.

peanut1

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 7:30 pm
So question...what are parents that have to work doing? Is there one parent staying home? Is there even an option of hiring someone to watch the kids while parents work? Assuming their work place is still running.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 7:38 pm
SuperWify wrote:
As per our governor Wednesday is the day everything is starting.

Right because of logistical planning that delayed closures until tomorrow. You could have made a smarter and more responsible decision for your own child and community sooner.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 7:58 pm
I posted yesterday that I was not planning to close. After a sleepless night I called the doctor who told me that I should definitely close. As it was I had only 4 children in my group today. I will be preparing individual arts and crafts bags for the parents to pick up with all our Pesach projects for the children to do at home. I ordered a camera for my computer so I can set up Zoom to daven together with the children and to give them my Pesach lesson every day. My heart is breaking but I am now 100% sure I am doing the right thing which is all I ever wanted. As far as tuition, it is prorated over the year into 10 payments. That is why we get the same amount in November as in April. I pay my assistant the same amount no matter how many days there are in that month. I hope all the parents will honor their tuition obligations. I am committed to do all I can on my part to earn that money. May HKBH keep us all safe and healthy.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:13 am
I got a text from my kids daycare last night that per dr shanks guidlines they have to limit class sizes. Only send in if you have no other options. My guess is that they will be closing after today.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries