Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Boss threatened my job today

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 8:45 pm
today was day one of remote working and I did my best. my boss text me that if I want to keep working at this company I need to be proactive and reach out to random people to get business. obviously I do sales in a not-very-sought-after market these days. 1. I'm stressing out enough (about a few other big things in my life, not just Corona) so I did not need to hear this. 2. it's day one, did you have to threaten me right away? 3. if she's really likely to fire people why not give a general message to everyone to amp things up and work harder, why just me? 4. I'm working for her for a decade already, I feel like that should matter. or shouldn't it?
I'm really shook up. if she's going to fire me let it be now, not after I sweat thru this whole months of kids home, before a big chag....
am I overthinking things? should I quit? should I just lay low and keep doing my best?

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 8:47 pm
Hang in there. She's probably stressed out too. Keep doing your best, and see what develops.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 8:52 pm
Working remotely as well. My boss said that he wants to know what I do every day.

I created a google docs and shared it with him. I updated it regularly. He said that wasnt what he ment, but in reality it proved that I was working. I will keep on doing it, so that I won't have to explain what I worked on that day.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:03 pm
Ouch, that was harsh. Nobody likes to be spoken to that way under any circumstances, least of all when you're going thru some other things. Yes, the fact that you've worked for her for 10 years should count for something. Also, while the boss has to push employees to do their best, they also need to keep up the morale of their employees. Making you feel the way she did achieved the exact opposite.
All you can do is you're best. Maybe the boss was stressed and having a bad day. I'h things will get better for you.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:07 pm
Some bosses are afraid that the employees wont put in their all when they work remotely. Prove her wrong! You’ve got nothing to worry about. Just do your job diligently as if you were working in the office and you should be ok.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:08 pm
I do feel for her. it's a stressful time for business, not know how they will cover payroll, rent, all the million other expenses and I feel bad getting paid if I'm not bringing in money. idk how to approach this. she is only judging me by my outcomes, how much money did I bring in, not how much effort I'm putting in. it's a lose-lose situation.

Fave

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:08 pm
Your boss is probably very stressed out. It’s really tough out there for small business owners.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I do feel for her. it's a stressful time for business, not know how they will cover payroll, rent, all the million other expenses and I feel bad getting paid if I'm not bringing in money. idk how to approach this. she is only judging me by my outcomes, how much money did I bring in, not how much effort I'm putting in. it's a lose-lose situation.
You wouldn’t be there for 10 years if you weren’t an asset to the company. Unless something suddenly changed.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:09 pm
I know what it's like to have bosses criticizing and stressing you out in addition to threatening to fire you. I'm sorry you are going through this.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:14 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Working remotely as well. My boss said that he wants to know what I do every day.

I created a google docs and shared it with him. I updated it regularly. He said that wasnt what he ment, but in reality it proved that I was working. I will keep on doing it, so that I won't have to explain what I worked on that day.

Smart girl. Even if he tells you to stop doing the docs, continue.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:15 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
You wouldn’t be there for 10 years if you weren’t an asset to the company. Unless something suddenly changed.

sometimes I feel that but sometimes she says things that make me feel I'm not worth the deskspace I take up. she tells me this is my opportunity to prove that I'm a good employee. really? after ten yrs you give me a crises to prove myself? I feel that's unfair.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 10:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
sometimes I feel that but sometimes she says things that make me feel I'm not worth the deskspace I take up. she tells me this is my opportunity to prove that I'm a good employee. really? after ten yrs you give me a crises to prove myself? I feel that's unfair.

Can you respond?

“I am confident in my ability to continue performing in my position as well as I have proven all these years, and have no doubt that working remotely will not impact my performance. Stay safe”

(As you said, it’s hard to do sales because of corona, not because your working remotely.)

Don’t let her bad day get to you. Shut it down. Hatzlacha!

rachel6543

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 11:08 pm
If I was in your situation I’d start looking for another job. You should not be dealing with a mean boss like that. From what your wrote this sounds like this boss regularly picks on you. I was in a similar situation a few years ago, my former boss threatened me with my job when I was recovering from a medical issue & I had been a long time employee with multiple awards. This boss of mine was known to pick on employees and eventually tried it on me. I got out of there as soon as I could line up another job. I have been so much happier since I found another job & I even make more $ now. So hang in there for now, but in the meantime update your resume and start looking for better opportunities. You deserve to be treated with respect.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 1:27 am
She sounds like she has major issues. It is not you at all. You really got to be able to dismiss her kind of cr azy (it is not you) or after all this look for a better employer.

byisrael

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 11:12 am
I had a boss like this - he was horrible, abusive, and would threaten me. I was a constant ball of nerves even though I was bringing in a ton of buisness and doing really good work.

When I quit he told me I will never find another job that will pay this much, and was horrible.

Jokes on him -I found a new job in weeks with a better salary. He is in the travel industry- his whole buisness is down the tubes, my new job is remote work in a medical filed not expected to be affected by corona.

Update your resume, start applying for other positions, and move on when you find something better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics