Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What needs to be lined/covered for pesach?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 6:41 am
Does every surface require covering?
Specifically asking about refrigerator shelves, cabinets, counters and tables.
Thanks!

teachkids

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 7:00 am
Anything that touches actual food should be covered. Everything else in your kitchen is either scrubbed or covered- whatever’s easier for you

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 8:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does every surface require covering?
Specifically asking about refrigerator shelves, cabinets, counters and tables.
Thanks!

Refrigerator and cabinet shelves technically do not need to be covered if they are clean and you are not eating open food that falls directly onto the surface. The general practice is to cover them though. I learned to use refrigerator liners for these so I don't have to sit and line or tape. Just put it on the shelf and done.
Table and counters need to be covered if they are not materials that are easily kasherable.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 12:06 pm
teachkids wrote:
Anything that touches actual food should be covered. Everything else in your kitchen is either scrubbed or covered- whatever’s easier for you
This is not a halacha. We dont cover anything. We clean down the fridge and freezer and the counters get boiling water thrown on them. We clean out one cabinet and then put things directly on them.

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 12:17 pm
There’s a range of opinions on this. I’m going to ask my rabbi for the most lenient opinion this year since making pesach is going to be hard

teachkids

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 12:35 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
This is not a halacha. We dont cover anything. We clean down the fridge and freezer and the counters get boiling water thrown on them. We clean out one cabinet and then put things directly on them.

Kashering is a viable replacement for covering if you want to do the work.
And none of those are places touching actual food, so cleaning does work as I said.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 12:52 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

AIUI, it depends on the type of counter. We do cover ours. I'm not pouring boiling water.

Many years ago, we bought a set of cheap plastic shelves. We set them up and put everything on them for Pesach, then just tie off all cabinets.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics