Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn only wants to sleep in my bed

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 7:53 am
I'll try the Dock a Tot tonight, and I'll also try the large crib which may be more comfortable than the bassinet, but the past few nights have been so difficult with my newborn up all night, fussing. Finally last night at 12 am I let her fall asleep in my bed, where she slept happily until 5:30 am.
I'm so frustrated and overwhelmed because it's not like I get to sleep during the day when she naps- kids will be home because of covid and I need to prep for pesach!
I had a nurse for 2 weeks and apparantly she slept nicely... I don't know why suddenly when the nurse leaves, she's all fussy! Any ideas?

rivkam

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 8:21 am
If you want the baby to keep sleeping with you look into safe sleeping. La leche has resources about it. You can obviously try to move the baby out but some babies just sleep better with their parents.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 8:29 am
My babies sleep in my bed until they move around too much. I love it, and they actually sleep. As mentioned, look into safe co sleeping practices so you can make it as safe as possible for your baby.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 8:33 am
I was a walking ghost being up with my baby through the nights because she didn't wanna sleep. When I decided to let her sleep together with me she she slept beautifully and I was a mentch. I did get many comments from people that it's not safe etc but I knew that a ghost mom is not safe either. I used to fall asleep on chair holding my baby. Happy co-sleeping!

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 8:46 am
My baby also loved sleeping in my bed, and didn’t sleep well in the crib until my friend bought me a sleep suit as a baby gift - the baby Merlin magic sleepsuit. My baby now sleeps beautifully in it in the bassinet (bli ayin hara!!)

Lizzie4

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 8:47 am
Try putting a tichel of yours with her in her crib. The smell will help her sleep.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 8:59 am
Lizzie4 wrote:
Try putting a tichel of yours with her in her crib. The smell will help her sleep.

This may work for older babies who can move the tichel off face if it gets there... personally I would be very worried to put any extra item in a sleeping space with a newborn. (Even a blanket - I once woke up to find blanket completely covering my baby’s face, it was frightening. Since then only warm pjs or swaddle. They rlly can’t help themselves)

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 9:02 am
Some babies do well sleeping in a snowsuit in the carriage. Gives that extra coziness factor

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 9:26 am
You could sleep with a crib sheet so it smells like you and then put it on the baby’s crib mattress (no risk of suffocation that way).

Personally, I think safe co-sleeping is the best. My babies slept best that way, especially my daughter, and it was the only way anybody got any sleep in my house during the newborn phase. I also felt more at ease postpartum when my baby was with me.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 10:29 am
I'm going to look into Co sleeping. How does that work when Dh and I want to have sx in the room?

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 10:42 am
My child was like this. I resisted cosleeping but was a sleep deprived disaster and would have been better off co sleeping

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 10:44 am
My baby only sleeps in the stroller or carseat. We tried everything already and lost so much sleep trying to get him to sleep in his crib. I think he likes the coziness of a stroller.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 10:45 am
Hi, first of all, what are you using for your baby? My babies were more comfortable in a crib than a bassinet. Second, is your baby getting enough naps during the day? That could explain why he slept better for the nurse. A newborn should never be kept awake for more than 1.5 hours including feeding.

Classicookie

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 11:40 am
Can't tell you what do do I had that issue with my 16m old and to this day he just wants to sleep with me and hates the crib I don't know what I could have done different he just loves being with his mommy but good luck he sleeps nicely in my bed he's not like up crying or playing

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 1:39 pm
Hugs but it’s very normal for a 2 week old to not sleep through the night.

qwerty4

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 2:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm going to look into Co sleeping. How does that work when Dh and I want to have sx in the room?

Wonder about this every time someone tells me her kids sleep with her every night

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 2:51 pm
try a sleeping bag. they seem cozy with it and helpedbveru wel.

israelmama

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:22 pm
I swaddled my baby and it helped my baby sleep in her own crib.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I have co-slept with all of my kids so far, including twins. So far I have spent at least half of my marriage with a baby in my bed.

According to halacha, you may have relations in the room even when your baby is awake, assuming he/she is too young to describe things. An older child must be asleep.

Practically, you nurse baby to sleep, roll up a blanket to keep baby from rolling off, and join DH in his bed. It's not terribly complicated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics