Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Computers for distance learning for DCs

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 12:55 pm
Does everyone already have computers for their DCs to do distance learning? We don't. We have one family computer. How are they getting filtered so quickly if you have just purchased? I need ideas to make it work.

teachkids

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 1:01 pm
It seems Chromebooks can have basic parental controls/ filtering and you can get a basic one for under $100. Just give them out for school work and collect them after.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 1:52 pm
teachkids wrote:
It seems Chromebooks can have basic parental controls/ filtering and you can get a basic one for under $100. Just give them out for school work and collect them after.

TAG told me recently they don’t recommend because of limited filtering. Have you had good experience?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 1:57 pm
TAG only offers filters for Windows and Mac, so that limits you to zero good OS options.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:15 pm
I borrowed from neighbors whose kids are grown. They have no filter but I collect as soon as kids are done.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:19 pm
We have a desktop that DH is using to work from home so it's not available. I have a very old and slow laptop that is ok for my preschooler's twice a day half hour of virtual learning but not for prolonged use. We have a child in middle school who has to check in on Google classroom at the beginning of every class period. Some teachers are doing live lessons on Zoom, some recorded videos, and some refer the students to the textbook and send assignments. DH went out to buy a Chromebook from Bestbuy because we needed that capacity. I have no idea how we would manage with multiple school age children needing the same things at the same time.

teachkids

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
TAG told me recently they don’t recommend because of limited filtering. Have you had good experience?

Honestly, I’ve only used them in a school with go guardian on it so it wasn’t necessary.

teachkids

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 4:08 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
We have a desktop that DH is using to work from home so it's not available. I have a very old and slow laptop that is ok for my preschooler's twice a day half hour of virtual learning but not for prolonged use. We have a child in middle school who has to check in on Google classroom at the beginning of every class period. Some teachers are doing live lessons on Zoom, some recorded videos, and some refer the students to the textbook and send assignments. DH went out to buy a Chromebook from Bestbuy because we needed that capacity. I have no idea how we would manage with multiple school age children needing the same things at the same time.

I know a lot of my students are watching the videos on a phone instead of a computer.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:57 pm
teachkids wrote:
I know a lot of my students are watching the videos on a phone instead of a computer.

We don’t have a spare smartphone. Could this be #tookosher as one DC says?

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 6:20 pm
Just put the computer in a place where it is visible and if you are worried, prevent access except during class time. If filtering is your biggest concern, you are lucky indeed. Smile

You are lucky to be able to afford digital devices for your children as many poor people lack computers and/or internet access. Many depended on libraries for computer access and those are now closed.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 6:26 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Just put the computer in a place where it is visible and if you are worried, prevent access except during class time. If filtering is your biggest concern, you are lucky indeed. Smile

You are lucky to be able to afford digital devices for your children as many poor people lack computers and/or internet access. Many depended on libraries for computer access and those are now closed.

I guess that’s right. I think the $150 for a chromebook isn’t so optional especially when paying tuition and for older DCs that need to graduate. Public schools are giving out Chromebooks and helping pay for internet for “poor people” in my area.

rikki 1

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 10:24 pm
I got rid of my Chromebook cuz TAG said couldn't be filtered properly. Not worth the hassle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics