Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Unbelievable, I have no words!
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:16 pm
Can someone please explain if the virus is dangerous for the elderly, why are the elderly out and about??? I was shocked to see so many over 60's at the grocery and other stores. If they're so selfish and don't seem to care about their own safety, why should I???? Why are we trying to protect them when they're not even protecting themselves??
Why are the schools closed & why are we turning over our lives when the ones at risk can't bother to stay home?? This is literally making my blood boil.
If all elderly and vulnerable will stay home for the next month, and the rest of the world will go on, the virus will blow over very fast.

healthymom1

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:18 pm
Maybe they dont have anyone around them to help them...
A lot of them still have to go to work (especially medical professionals).

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:20 pm
healthymom1 wrote:
Maybe they dont have anyone around them to help them...
A lot of them still have to go to work (especially medical professionals).

Still not an excuse for the world to be turning over to protect their lives. Sorry. They shouldn't be going to work. This will just lead to more cases and will make it take longer to get rid of.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:22 pm
If you know elderly people (neighbors, family friends, etc) I hope you have offered your services to get groceries or other errands for them.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:24 pm
Agreed. The elderly and immuno-compromised individuals should be the ones in quarantine and the rest of the world should go on.

Makes absolutely no sense the way things are being done now.

And don't tell me I'm heartless and selfish.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can someone please explain if the virus is dangerous for the elderly, why are the elderly out and about??? I was shocked to see so many over 60's at the grocery and other stores. If they're so selfish and don't seem to care about their own safety, why should I???? Why are we trying to protect them when they're not even protecting themselves??
Why are the schools closed & why are we turning over our lives when the ones at risk can't bother to stay home?? This is literally making my blood boil.
If all elderly and vulnerable will stay home for the next month, and the rest of the world will go on, the virus will blow over very fast.

Wow, just wow.
Clearly your life has been disturbed and you a quite resentful.

Just an FYI, in my hospital, the 2 critical patients are a 30 year old and a 44 year old. (But I don't think they are frum, so than probably makes it OK) Additionally, just because a person doesn't seem sick, doesn't mean that they can't spread the disease.
One again, I am sorry that you are being inconvenienced. I will tell the elderly and infirm to try to die faster, so that you can resume your regular life.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:25 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
If you know elderly people (neighbors, family friends, etc) I hope you have offered your services to get groceries or other errands for them.

We have offered, they said they're "fine" they can go to the grocery themselves. My grandfather doesn't want to hear of staying home, and he's a heart patient!! Why why why??? As long as those at risk are not willing to protect themselves, our kids should be in school and we shouldn't have to quarantine. There's no point.

mamma llama

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:27 pm
we're protecting ourselves too. I certainly don't want to catch it so I'm happy to be home.

I guess that makes me selfish too? Wink

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:27 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Wow, just wow.

Just an FYI, in my hospital, the 2 critical patients are a 30 year old and a 44 year old. (But I don't think they are frum, so than probably makes it OK) Additionally, just because a person doesn't seem sick, doesn't mean that they can't spread the disease.
One again, I am sorry that you are being inconvenienced. I will tell the elderly and infirm to try to die faster, so that you can resume your regular life.

What????? Please explain??? What does this got to do with my OP??? You're taking my words completely out of context! Whoa!
Where do I mention anything about elderly dying and non frum people on respirators?? You're unbelievable.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:29 pm
mamma llama wrote:
we're protecting ourselves too. I certainly don't want to catch it so I'm happy to be home.

I guess that makes me selfish too? Wink

Of course we're protecting ourselves. But the main reason for quarantine is to protect the elderly and vulnerable and to see them not protecting themselves when we're turning over our lives is quite infuriating.

ora_43

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Still not an excuse for the world to be turning over to protect their lives. Sorry. They shouldn't be going to work. This will just lead to more cases and will make it take longer to get rid of.

They aren't going to spread it any faster than anyone else. A 60-year-old doctor going to work doesn't "lead to more cases" any more than a 30-year-old doctor going to work does.

I'm also not clear on why "they don't have food" or "they need an income" wouldn't be good excuses. Why would anyone prefer to hide at home due to a 4% chance of dying of coronavirus, if the alternative were a 95% chance of being unemployed and/or hungry? (being homeless isn't safe even when you're 20 and strong).

Other issues:
- for obvious reasons you're only seeing the older people who do choose to go out, not those who don't.

- the elderly aren't the only ones at risk - there are also young people who are medically vulnerable, and even for young healthy people the coronavirus seems to be significantly more dangerous than the regular flu.

- one of the main ideas of all the measures various countries are taking is to protect the healthcare system that we all use.

IOW all the craziness going on is only partially "for them" - and most of the "them" appreciate it. But what can you do, sometimes irresponsible young people live long enough to become irresponsible older people.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:34 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Wow, just wow.

She is not resentful that she is being slightly inconvenienced.

She is resentful that we are literally shutting down the world and our lives, and DESTROYING the economy, which is not going to bounce back so fast.

She is resentful that the people who are most likely to get affected by this virus aren't doing the absolute best that they can to protect themselves.

And I don't think it is selfish, because killing our economy is something that affects this entire country, not just herself.

mamma llama

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Of course we're protecting ourselves. But the main reason for quarantine is to protect the elderly and vulnerable and to see them not protecting themselves when we're turning over our lives is quite infuriating.

It's infuriating because you're looking at it that we're doing this to protect them.
Just today, I got an email from Think Hashem Daily (thinkhashem@ateresshimon.org if anyone is interested Wink ) and this is what it said: כל אחד ואחד חייב לומר בשבילי נברא העולם A person should live with the attitude that "the world was created for me" משנה סנהדרין ד:ה.

Take everybody else out of the picture right now. Tell yourself that this is all for you! You want to stay healthy and so you are taking all these precautions.

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I can see you being annoyed if you saw masses of senior citizens recklessly partying on the streets -- but you saw people aged 60+ at the grocery store and you're getting angry at them?

I'd assume these people needed food and had nobody to help them obtain it for them. It's really obnoxious to get angry at someone for buying food. What if that was you mother?

Why don't you volunteer to help deliver food to such people? Or educate them about grocery shopping on-line?

What happened to respecting our elders?

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What????? Please explain??? What does this got to do with my OP??? You're taking my words completely out of context! Whoa!
Where do I mention anything about elderly dying and non frum people on respirators?? You're unbelievable.

OP you are awful. You should be deeply ashamed of yourself. Maybe the elderly need food or medicine.

I get discouraged by people like you. You are doing this for society. You make me hate selfish people. That's what you are.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:38 pm
mamma llama wrote:
It's infuriating because you're looking at it that we're doing this to protect them.
Just today, I got an email from Think Hashem Daily (thinkhashem@ateresshimon.org if anyone is interested Wink ) and this is what it said: כל אחד ואחד חייב לומר בשבילי נברא העולם A person should live with the attitude that "the world was created for me" משנה סנהדרין ד:ה.

Take everybody else out of the picture right now. Tell yourself that this is all for you! You want to stay healthy and so you are taking all these precautions.

this makes no sense because if it was only for her (and healthy, young people like her), she would not be taking any of these precautions!

Did you quarantine yourself when the flu was going around?

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The main reason for the restrictions is to FLATTEN THE CURVE.

While the elderly are more at risk, anyone who is exposed has the potential to become ill and also to infect others.

A certain percentage of people who ARE NOT ELDERLY will require hospitalization and might die.

The point is that there are NOT ENOUGH hospital beds and respirators if EVERYONE GETS SICK AT THE SAME TIME.

They are trying to stagger the infection so that medical facilities aren't all jammed at the same time. It is the reason why non-essential elective surgery is being cancelled as well.

While an elderly person who chooses to gad about without a thought is an idiot - at least in my humble opinion - the restrictions are not to protect the elderly but TO FLATTEN THE CURVE.

There are not enough respirators in New York City to service the estimated number of people who will need them and that is if the CURVE IS FLATTENED.

There are also people who typically need ICU and ventilators normally without the Corona adding further people with those needs.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:40 pm
Amarante wrote:
The main reason for the restrictions is to FLATTEN THE CURVE.

While the elderly are more at risk, anyone who is exposed has the potential to become ill and also to infect others.

A certain percentage of people who ARE NOT ELDERLY will require hospitalization and might die.

The point is that there are NOT ENOUGH hospital beds and respirators if EVERYONE GETS SICK AT THE SAME TIME.

They are trying to stagger the infection so that medical facilities aren't all jammed at the same time. It is the reason why non-essential elective surgery is being cancelled as well.

While an elderly person who chooses to gad about without a thought is an idiot - at least in my humble opinion - the restrictions are not to protect the elderly but TO FLATTEN THE CURVE.

I hold a similar opinion about OP. She's disgusting.

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:40 pm
My friend is a 61-year-old cardiologist who saves lives every day. I know plenty of doctors who are "elderly" (>60 years old).

I find the OP's attitude to be selfish and repulsive.

mamma llama

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 3:41 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
this makes no sense because if it was only for her (and healthy, young people like her), she would not be taking any of these precautions!

Did you quarantine yourself when the flu was going around?

A) I am healthy B"H, but I'm taking these precautions just as much for myself as I am for others.

B) The flu is not nearly as fatal. Still, I took the flu vaccine and avoided going near sick people.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics