Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Isn't this hilarious?
1  2  Next

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 9:25 pm
It just occurred to me that five minutes ago, the biggest horror in the frum world was all about the internet. DISCONNECT! Everyone screamed. NO SCREEN TIME FOR KIDS! Etc.

Meanwhile, one tiny little virus, and it's our only option. My kids each have some kind of online something or other to communicate with their teachers, whether zoom or facetime or something else. Whatsapp is blowing up, and I really actually wish people would stop posting and I could just leave every chat.

With everyone in horror about anyone who dares venture out to the grocery or to the clothing store, our only choices are instacart and online shopping.

I wonder what the message is in all this?

soap suds

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 9:34 pm
No Zoom or facetime for my kids. Our school is doing teleconferences. Grocery stores, pharmacies, and even dry good stores in my neighborhood are taking phone orders. The ones who didn't have internet for themselves/kids are sticking to the no internet policy.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 9:37 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
It just occurred to me that five minutes ago, the biggest horror in the frum world was all about the internet. DISCONNECT! Everyone screamed. NO SCREEN TIME FOR KIDS! Etc.

Meanwhile, one tiny little virus, and it's our only option. My kids each have some kind of online something or other to communicate with their teachers, whether zoom or facetime or something else. Whatsapp is blowing up, and I really actually wish people would stop posting and I could just leave every chat.

With everyone in horror about anyone who dares venture out to the grocery or to the clothing store, our only choices are instacart and online shopping.

I wonder what the message is in all this?

Not in my circles.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 11:35 pm
Maybe the message is that we're lucky to live in a time when we can remain connected virtually even when we're not connected physically.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 3:29 am
Unfortunately my school is not letting us use internet and we are all just recording lessons on the free conference call line . It's probably much more dry and difficult for the kids to learn.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 4:19 am
Not in my circles either.
I doubt ppl who do zero screen time or internet will start for this. In my neighborhood almost no one owns s computer or even has internet hookup.

Grocery stores accept fax or phone orders

My kids are doing phone conferences. Getting work mailed.

There is a meme going around with message and I think it’s in very bad taste during times like these - making fun of others....
Op your post title is in bad taste as well.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 4:29 am
I see the difference between the schools that allow internet and those that don’t. My kids don’t. So far they set up a hotline and they will be starting some kind of teleconference thing. However, my sisters kids have a full day of learning as if school never closed. They daven together , learn, take notes and everything is running as usual.
In my kids case they will most likely have one lesson a day over the phone and I will have to come up with a curriculum for the rest of the day. I think the kids with no internet have less structure .
I did comment to my DH that it’s interesting how the internet and even teleconferencing and all the new telecommunication technology is all refuah l’fnei hamakka .
Had this happened 25 yrs ago there wouldn’t have been this ability of working remotely and even doing virtual classrooms. So it is a blessing that we can work and kids can learn without leaving our homes.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 4:34 am
B

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 7:55 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I see the difference between the schools that allow internet and those that don’t. My kids don’t. So far they set up a hotline and they will be starting some kind of teleconference thing. However, my sisters kids have a full day of learning as if school never closed. They daven together , learn, take notes and everything is running as usual.
In my kids case they will most likely have one lesson a day over the phone and I will have to come up with a curriculum for the rest of the day. I think the kids with no internet have less structure .
I did comment to my DH that it’s interesting how the internet and even teleconferencing and all the new telecommunication technology is all refuah l’fnei hamakka .
Had this happened 25 yrs ago there wouldn’t have been this ability of working remotely and even doing virtual classrooms. So it is a blessing that we can work and kids can learn without leaving our homes.

And my lazy kid can go to school in pjs! Gotta love them! Laugh

trixx

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:15 am
Flatbush girl posted a message she got from someone. The male teachers even secular are allowed to use zoom. The female teacher who has to demonstrate math problems can only teach via telephone.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:18 am
You can no longer contact my house phone, it is being used for conference "school" from 9 to 3. There is a break for lunch)
and now my DS will need my cell phone for his "shiur" conference. for 2 hours. Our school is not using internet for classes.

No my kids do not have their own phones, and even if they did. Don't cell phone carriers charge unless you have an unlimited plan? what if we have a limited amount of minutes??
This is with 2 grades. What if you have a few kids in different grades and they don't have internet classes?
How are you managing with their phone conference classes.
I am putting this in the hilarious category. Its either cry or laugh, and I want to laugh.

losingweight

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:38 am
we have telephone cheder here. Every kid will get a phone/cell phone for the time they're supposed to call in. At least something to break up the day.

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:03 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Not in my circles either.
I doubt ppl who do zero screen time or internet will start for this. In my neighborhood almost no one owns s computer or even has internet hookup.

Grocery stores accept fax or phone orders

My kids are doing phone conferences. Getting work mailed.

There is a meme going around with message and I think it’s in very bad taste during times like these - making fun of others....
Op your post title is in bad taste as well.

I don't see any memes. And I'm sorry you don't like my post title. Feel free to avoid all talk of coronavirus, if it triggers you.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:05 am
None of the schools that don't allow internet are allowing it now. We're having "phone school". They're taking turns calling in. The principal tells a story then there's a kumzitz, davening and tehillim. And Yiddish and english classes.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:11 am
I think the message here is that everything comes from Hashem, even the internet. This is the reason he created the internet and technology. Not to trip us up and ensnare us in aveiros, but to be used for learning torah, doing mitzvos (tzedaka, bikur cholim, chesed, etc.) and connecting with others with whom we otherwise wouldn't be able to. Not just in the time of coronavirus but in general.

This is not to say that it shouldn't be used wisely.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:53 am
soap suds wrote:
No Zoom or facetime for my kids. Our school is doing teleconferences. Grocery stores, pharmacies, and even dry good stores in my neighborhood are taking phone orders. The ones who didn't have internet for themselves/kids are sticking to the no internet policy.

If chas v shalom this situation lasts half as long as the President thinks it will and you and you succeed without internet I will walk 100 miles to you for a brocha

Agav, how are you on imamother

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:56 am
imorethanamother wrote:
I don't see any memes. And I'm sorry you don't like my post title. Feel free to avoid all talk of coronavirus, if it triggers you.

I found the title making fun of ppl lifestyles. It sounded belittling

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:05 pm
I'd be lost without my internet, I'll be the first to admit.

For those of you who are dedicated to no screen time, and are sticking with that even under these circumstances, I really respect you. I know that previous generations survived without the internet, but they didn't have the temptation to use it like we do today.

You are sticking to your principles, and IYH your kids should have a wonderful life because of it.

(Of course, I wish the same bracha on people who are letting their kids use the internet, too.)

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 1:40 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
None of the schools that don't allow internet are allowing it now. We're having "phone school". They're taking turns calling in. The principal tells a story then there's a kumzitz, davening and tehillim. And Yiddish and english classes.

If this ends up being long term, I don't see how this can work. There is so much you can teach via the phone, and there's so long a young kid can sit on the phone and listen to a lesson. And how can math and other visual subjects be taught via the phone?

If the rest of the world will be moving along with their classes at a mostly regular rate via online methods, wont these students end up being left behind within their age groups?

What about the working environment?. If the majority of jobs will end up being working from home for now, how will the adults work?

My local bank has shut down now, and they're suggesting everyone to bank online now. What will everyone do when their local banks follow suit?

This no internet stance is not sustainable. It never was, even without this virus. The world has been moving in that direction, with all the essentials of life slowly being transferred to an electronic version. Won't such a ban eventually have a negative effect on daas Torah, when the inevitable happens?

Just think about all the good and mitzvohs being accomplished right now with technology. Bobbys & Zeidy in isolation can 'see' their einiklach and children. My FIL just lit up this morning when the kids skyped him. My son's entire class is logged in online with zoom and their shiur is going on as normal. They don't need to cut down on their learning hours. People are connecting and reaching out for help via technology, and help is being arranged and sent. My colleague is now isolated in the ER (yeah, with CV), and the only thing keeping her sane is our frequent contact with her.

Everything in this world can be used for good. That's the true challenge for us - to figure out how to utilize everything for the good.

lilies

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 1:56 pm
I do think it's a bit ironic.

Last edited by lilies on Thu, May 07 2020, 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics