Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Anyone else get scared when they hear Mashiach is here?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 10:44 am
During this time we keep hearing that mashiach is among us already, its just a matter of time til he reveals himself...
Although we always wait for mashiach, I get so nervous when I hear he is coming. Part of me wants him to come but part of me is terrified!!
Why is everyone else so excited?! Whats wrong with me?!

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 10:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
During this time we keep hearing that mashiach is among us already, its just a matter of time til he reveals himself...
Although we always wait for mashiach, I get so nervous when I hear he is coming. Part of me wants him to come but part of me is terrified!!

Can you explain what you are terrified of?
imagine the most exciting, enjoyable time u ever had and triple that a thousand times. with no pain, challenges, struggles at all! I'm sure as a human you have some challenges in your life. Imagine living without it?? Halevei!! I'm looking forward. I need him desperately!!

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 10:54 am
I'm with you OP!

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 10:57 am
I'm scared because I'm not ready as a person. I'm not where I want to be holding when Moshiach comes!

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:00 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
imagine the most exciting, enjoyable time u ever had and triple that a thousand times. with no pain, challenges, struggles at all! I'm sure as a human you have some challenges in your life. Imagine living without it?? Halevei!! I'm looking forward. I need him desperately!!

That sounds like being dead? Or at least so different from what makes life LIFE that my existence as I understand it would essentially be over?

Cuz every time someone brings up the philosophical problem of suffering, we are told it just has to be this way, that life wouldn’t be worth living without struggles and challenges, even if HaShem in His Omnipotence could theoretically create a world of infinite pleasure and zero suffering.

I don’t understand how HaShem could *poof* make all financial, interpersonal, health, etc. problems disappear without such radical changes to the world as we know it that it wouldn’t be a traumatic paradigm shift.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:04 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:

Not OP, but what personally terrifies me (I'm Lubavitch, so this is basically hashkafic suicide) is that it's such a HUGE change. It'll be a shock to the system, along with the knowledge that it's finally happening. This thing that Jews have waited thousands of years for is finally here and you are here witnessing it. It's an "awe"-some thought.

That being said, I don't understand the whole "fire and brimstone" approach. Why is Moshiach's coming associated with death and tragedies? It'll be the happiest moment in history, bringing with it an era where we will be able to FEEL and SEE Hashem. No Jew will be left behind! There will be no more sickness, war, death, sadness, oppression, and we will be able to be immersed in Torah and Mitzvos completely.

You will see your loved ones who you've lost face-to-face. Think about meeting your great-great-grandparents for the first time. Think about seeing the Avos, Imahos, Moshe Rabbeinu, Rashi, for the first time in the flesh and learning Torah straight from them.

Just think about that for a minute.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:06 am
Op here.
I guess my fear is more “embarrassment”
I’m not perfect! I sinned! Maybe I’m really not worthy?! I always hear about what will happen to those who sinned and I’m scared and not ready.
And the fact that everyone is so excited makes me even more scared! Am I the worst person on earth?!

Rappel

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:07 am
I totally get you, OP. When I do a din v'cheshbon, I don't feel worthy of a full Sanhedrin and biblical standards of behaviour, belief, and punishment. It makes me very nervous.

But I still pray for it, because I know it will be healthy for the klal, whatever my personal struggles.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:09 am
Yes I get scared!
So interesting..just had this conversation with my husband last night. Hes delighted at the idea of mashiach arriving any minute while I have tons of fear. Maybe some ppl wont be worthy of him and will die..? Will milchemas gog umagog be painful for jews? Is this Maybe it? He just laughed and said why wud jews die? We are good people..
I thimk the diff bet us is his chassidish vs my litvish upbringing. They only learnt to associate positive with moshiach. Everyone will have techias hameisim.. and so on. I cant say the same about my schooling and upbringing. Sure hope hes the one whos right this time!

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op here.
I guess my fear is more “embarrassment”
I’m not perfect! I sinned! Maybe I’m really not worthy?! I always hear about what will happen to those who sinned and I’m scared and not ready.
And the fact that everyone is so excited makes me even more scared! Am I the worst person on earth?!

Same here. The whole “4/5 died in mitzrayim” thing isn’t very reassuring.

I feel like my very ambivalence about the coming of Mashiach (I sort of don’t want to live in a world without Broadway musicals and Harry Potter and interesting non-Jewish cultures and philosophies?) makes me unworthy of his arrival.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:13 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Not OP, but what personally terrifies me (I'm Lubavitch, so this is basically hashkafic suicide) is that it's such a HUGE change. It'll be a shock to the system, along with the knowledge that it's finally happening. This thing that Jews have waited thousands of years for is finally here and you are here witnessing it. It's an "awe"-some thought.

That being said, I don't understand the whole "fire and brimstone" approach. Why is Moshiach's coming associated with death and tragedies? It'll be the happiest moment in history, bringing with it an era where we will be able to FEEL and SEE Hashem. No Jew will be left behind! There will be no more sickness, war, death, sadness, oppression, and we will be able to be immersed in Torah and Mitzvos completely.

You will see your loved ones who you've lost face-to-face. Think about meeting your great-great-grandparents for the first time. Think about seeing the Avos, Imahos, Moshe Rabbeinu, Rashi, for the first time in the flesh and learning Torah straight from them.

Just think about that for a minute.

Moshiach coming will be in stages and the first will be life as normal, just no sickness or deaths. There will def be a transition period.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:17 am
I think I might be afraid of the unknown.
When I worry about my sins and of meeting great people from the past, I remind myself that they too have sinned in their lifetime and they are still considered worthy of redemption. We're all human. God doesn't expect us to be saints. He wants us to stay connected and to try to be good jews who serve him.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:21 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Moshiach coming will be in stages and the first will be life as normal, just no sickness or deaths. There will def be a transition period.

There are various opinions as to how long that's actually going to last. Could be seconds or years.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:48 am
bigsis144 wrote:

I feel like my very ambivalence about the coming of Mashiach (I sort of don’t want to live in a world without Broadway musicals and Harry Potter and interesting non-Jewish cultures and philosophies?) makes me unworthy of his arrival.

Chas Veshalom! Please don't think that way!!
The Lubavitcher Rebbe spoke many times on this topic. The coming of Moshiach will be unlike leaving Mitzrayim in that NO JEW WILL BE LEFT BEHIND!

Don't think for one minute that you are unloved by Hashem!

I firmly believe that the concept of "unworthy" does not exist in this instance.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

YES! I'm scared of embarrassment, punishment, and whether I will be worthy, and everyone seeing my sins, and me regretting stuff I've done wrong, the fact that we can't do teshuva or fix anything after moshiach comes. so many things are unresolved and unsettled in my life.
also worried about who else will survive, and missing those people that won't.

and I've heard an opinion that women won't be around after moshiach!?

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:04 pm
I am afraid too. There are so many opinions, no one knows for sure what will happen, but I have heard that some believe that there will be major suffering before the peaceful part of Moshiach. Also heard opinions that its according to our worthiness - it could happen peacefully and beautifully OR if we're not worthy through much pain, struggling and suffering . Let's do our best to be worthy!!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:05 pm
There is not ONE person on this planet that is "worthy". We all sin, every one of us. The important thing isn't to be perfect, the important thing is to be able to say that we did our very best, as the flawed people that we are. Do you really think that Hashem will punish us for being human beings?

I'm looking forward to not being in pain anymore. I'm looking forward to hugging my mom again. I'm looking forward to my daughter to not struggle with mental illness anymore.

Just think - no more drug addiction, no more zex abuse, no more poverty and starvation. Think of all the innocent civilians who are killed as the casualties of war, all around the world. This is something we should daven for every single day!

Personally, I would be willing to go through all kinds of humiliation at the hands of Moshiach and Hashem, if it meant that the world could be free of all it's troubles.

The people who should be really scared, are those who are wealthy and have an easy life. Did you give enough tzedaka? Did you judge your neighbor harshly? Did you help those in your community, or did you just assume that someone else would do that? Do your kids have sterling middos? Do you spend your "luxury time" helping others instead?

When the World to Come arrives, we will not be asked why we were not like Moshe Rabbeinu. We will be asked why Zushia was not more like Zushia.

Everyone should account for themselves every single night, review their thoughts and deeds, and wake up in the morning as if they were given a clean slate to do their very best. Modeh Ani.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:05 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

Yes. Even if you're not worried for yourself, what about 4/5 of the people you know?

iammom

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:12 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
YES! I'm scared of embarrassment, punishment, and whether I will be worthy, and everyone seeing my sins, and me regretting stuff I've done wrong, the fact that we can't do teshuva or fix anything after moshiach comes. so many things are unresolved and unsettled in my life.

How will the world get populated??

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:15 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:

Where in heavens name did you hear something so absurd? Quote a source please.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics