Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Lightbulbs and other miscellaneous items
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:06 am
I have noticed that people are stocking up on toilet paper and pasta or other food but what if the lightbulb goes out and you need to change it? Do you have spare ones in your house? If we are under mandatory quarantine then we may not be able to buy this so what good is having toilet paper when it would be too dark to use the bathroom?

So lets make a list of things we may need in case something happens while we are under mandatory quarantine:

Lightbulbs-- different sizes depending on what you use at home
Candles
Batteries- different sizes
Matches
Flashlights
Battery operated radio
Old fashioned phones that dont require electricity
Cooking devices that dont require gas such as a slow cooker or instant pot (not sure what we would do if we lose electric or gas)
Grape juice
over the counter medication
toothpaste
toothbrushes

Is there anything else we would need if there is a mandatory quarantine?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:13 am
It's not an apocalypse. The stores are open. If everyone buys only what they need instead of selfishly buying out the shelves without a cheshban, there will be enough for everyone. We're not giving the stores a chance to restock.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have noticed that people are stocking up on toilet paper and pasta or other food but what if the lightbulb goes out and you need to change it? Do you have spare ones in your house? If we are under mandatory quarantine then we may not be able to buy this so what good is having toilet paper when it would be too dark to use the bathroom?

So lets make a list of things we may need in case something happens while we are under mandatory quarantine:

Lightbulbs-- different sizes depending on what you use at home
Candles
Batteries- different sizes
Matches
Flashlights
Battery operated radio
Old fashioned phones that dont require electricity
Cooking devices that dont require gas such as a slow cooker or instant pot (not sure what we would do if we lose electric or gas)
Grape juice
over the counter medication
toothpaste
toothbrushes

Is there anything else we would need if there is a mandatory quarantine?

The only kind of old fashion phone that doesn't require electricity is 2 cans and string.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:18 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
It's not an apocalypse. The stores are open. If everyone buys only what they need instead of selfishly buying out the shelves without a cheshban, there will be enough for everyone. We're not giving the stores a chance to restock.

If we are under a mandatory quarantine (which could happen at any time) then the stores selling lightbulbs will not be open so best to be prepared just in case.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
The only kind of old fashion phone that doesn't require electricity is 2 cans and string.

LOL LOL LOL Imagine if it comes down to that? Can't Believe It
But this phone could work without electricity, you just need a jack (that would work)-- https://www.walmart.com/ip/VTe.....w_wcB

Stars

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:21 am
We'll live with a burnt out bulb for a few weeks. So? If the one in your bathroom goes out take one from an area where you don't need it as much. Why are people acting like the world is ending?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If we are under a mandatory quarantine (which could happen at any time) then the stores selling lightbulbs will not be open so best to be prepared just in case.

The supermarket, target, Walmart, shoprite sell lightbulbs.
The world is not coming to an end. We need to stop feeding our anxiety and hysteria.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:27 am
Stars wrote:
We'll live with a burnt out bulb for a few weeks. So? If the one in your bathroom goes out take one from an area where you don't need it as much. Why are people acting like the world is ending?

This is the apocalypse and the world is ending Hiding

Now that we have that out the way, we can focus on the thread. Some people have long lightbulbs in their kitchen so if that goes out then they cant take it from another place (unless they have the same light fixture somewhere else in the house). Some people may need all their lightbulbs and wouldnt be able to substitute one for another. Why not take the precaution and just buy some extra lightbulbs just in case?

And what other items would we need just in case we are in a prolonged mandatory without the means to buy it if stores are closed?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
LOL LOL LOL Imagine if it comes down to that? Can't Believe It
But this phone could work without electricity, you just need a jack (that would work)-- https://www.walmart.com/ip/VTe.....w_wcB

A phone will work as long as it is getting between 6 and 12 volts at about 30 milliamps. In other words, it takes very little power to operate a telephone. Between your house and the phone company's office there is a dedicated pair of copper wires for your phone.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:38 am
A phone will work as long as it is getting between 6 and 12 volts at about 30 milliamps. In other words, it takes very little power to operate a telephone. Between your house and the phone company's office there is a dedicated pair of copper wires for your phone.

There are people who have only cell phones these days. If the electricity goes out then they wont be able to charge their phones. So perhaps its best to have portable chargers that have been charged up and extra phone batteries that were charged up as well. Unless you are saying that there are others ways to charge a cell phone? How would that work?

singleagain

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There are people who have only cell phones these days. If the electricity goes out then they wont be able to charge their phones. So perhaps its best to have portable chargers that have been charged up and extra phone batteries that were charged up as well. Unless you are saying that there are others ways to charge a cell phone? How would that work?

Charge your phone in your car. That's what I did during Sandy.. when electricity went out bc of weather. Why would it go out now?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:43 am
singleagain wrote:
Charge your phone in your car. That's what I did during Sandy.. when electricity went out bc of weather. Why would it go out now?

Not sure if we would be able to even get to our cars if we are in mandatory quarantine (do people not understand what mandatory quarantine is) but lots of people dont even have cars in the first place. What are they supposed to do?

singleagain

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:45 am
Where are you that you can't step out of your house?

Stores are open. I myself am at work, in a store. We have a small selection of lightbulbs.

And again.. even if you can't step out ... Why is your electricity being turned off?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:47 am
I will reiterate. It is not the apocalypse and there are no zombies coming to get you.
There is no reason to think there will be any problem with electricity. You will still have tap water (unless you think it has bugs and is traif).

If your light bulb burns out, do you only have one bulb in the room? Do you have a window?
You will figure it out.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:48 am
singleagain wrote:
Where are you that you can't step out of your house?

Stores are open. I myself am at work, in a store. We have a small selection of lightbulbs.

And again.. even if you can't step out ... Why is your electricity being turned off?

Right now we can all go out and buy things but if we are put under mandatory quarantine then we wont be able to do so. It seems like people are not understanding how serious this situation is and are just living life as if nothing is going on in the world. No wonder there is a high rate of cases in the Jewish communities Crying

singleagain

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right now we can all go out and buy things but if we are put under mandatory quarantine then we wont be able to do so. It seems like people are not understanding how serious this situation is and are just living life as if nothing is going on in the world. No wonder there is a high rate of cases in the Jewish communities Crying

No one said we aren't taking it seriously. But right now we have to live our lives. Stock up a little if you feel you need to. But please don't overbuy so there nothing left for anyone else. And don't insight Hysteria in others just bc they aren't stocking up like you want them to

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:58 am
NY and Israel very well might have a mandatory quarantine for everyone

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:59 am
singleagain wrote:
No one said we aren't taking it seriously. But right now we have to live our lives. Stock up a little if you feel you need to. But please don't overbuy so there nothing left for anyone else. And don't insight Hysteria in others just bc they aren't stocking up like you want them to

Our lives have changed whether you like it or not. And there is a possibility that we may be in mandatory quarantine for a while so anything may happen. It is not inciting hysteria to ask what miscellaneous household items people may need in case of emergency or if something goes wrong like the lightbulb goes out. We have a right to prepare ourselves which is what this thread is trying to do. So, without saying anything about hysteria or apocalypse, is there anything else we can do to prepare or buy for survival if we are under mandatory quarantine?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:00 pm
singleagain wrote:

Maybe we won't be able to get any gas either. Can we hoard that now? I don't have any gas containers, but I have empty water bottles in my recycling bin. Maybe I can fill those.
Also, maybe we should get an extra car battery to keep in the garage. (Not that I would have a clue how to install in.)

What else might I need.
Freon for my AC and fridge, paint incase the kids get out of control being shut in and write on the walls and I need to repaint my home (might not bother-nobody can come over and see it anyway). Diaper for myself incase I become incontinent.
Please help contribute to my list. I am so overwhelmed I don't even know what I need.

cbsp

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:01 pm

Copper wire is not a given anymore. They cut our copper wire when FIOS was installed. That also means our phone lines are dependant on electricity even if the actual handset is not.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics