Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Did Dr. Shanik say that the Dec/Jan flu was probably Corona?
1  2  Next

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:58 am
My brother told me that Dr. Shanik of Lakewood said that the flu that was going around in December and January was probably Corona.

Can anyone verify this?

My 20 and 17 year old boys were sick for a few days then, and they rarely get sick. I remember being told that some days half of classes were absent at my daughter's school, Bais Yaakov of Baltimore.

Many of us were together than, over Chanukah and the Siyum Hashas.

And just as nobody pays much attention that 20 people were murdered in Chicago this month, it doesn't make the news that some older people get very sick with the flu or pneumonia.

My brother and all his kids were sick for a couple of days right after being with us for Chanukah, and he had the kids tested for the flu, and the pediatrician said that it's strange that the test is negative, since they are showing symptoms of the flu.

If this is the case, then many of us already got Corona, and can stop worrying about catching it. I wonder if there's a blood test to see if people already got it.

Hashem Yaazor everyone!!!!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:01 pm
1. I live in lakewood and never heard that about Dr shanik
2. Just like your never immune forever from a cold; Your never immune forever from the corona virus.
If someone gets corona today and its very mild they can get it again in a few months and it can be better, worse, or the same but no one knows

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:02 pm
I was thinking the same about my daughter, who had something, not the flu, at the very end of January. High fever, aching bones, terrible headaches, with a horrific cough that's still on it's way out. I just can't help but wonder if what she had was actually corona virus. I wish there was a way to find out.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:11 pm
My sister I baltimore was so sick for 2 weeks. Flu test was negative. Dr ended up giving her tamiflu anyways because it looked so much like it.
But if everyone in Baltimore was getting it wouldn’t ppl have ended up in the hospital?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:13 pm
Yes I did hear this in Dr. Shanik's name. Don't know if there is a way he, or anyone else, can really know.

Its an interesting theory.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:13 pm
Someone told me that Dr. Shanik said that he never had so many negative flu tests as this year. Unverified that he said that.

What I do know is that I know lots of people who had flu like symptoms but tested negative for flu. I don't know if that confers immunity though.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:17 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
2. Just like your never immune forever from a cold; Your never immune forever from the corona virus.
If someone gets corona today and its very mild they can get it again in a few months and it can be better, worse, or the same but no one knows

2. That’s not necessarily true. There were very few cases of reinfection in China, they believe those who did get it twice are the exception and not the rule.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:18 pm
My kids were sick over Chanukah and around half of my son's class was as well.

But in our case, at least, it was Flu B. And the month before that, Flu A. There may have been non-flu cases as well, but I can rule out at least one set of sick children as actually having had the flu.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:18 pm
My daughter had high fever, cough & congestion last week and rvp was negative. I just spoke with the pediatrician and we were talking if it’s possible that she had covid19 and she said that so far there’s no antibody test to see.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:20 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I wish there was a way to find out.

AFAIK CDC was working on a test to detect antibodies to coronavirus as of March 9.
I also had a flu-like illness in late January, in New York; extreme fatigue, complete loss of appetite, severe body aches, fever, shaking chills. B'h I rarely get sick. Had had flu shot, flu test was negative. City MD refused to test for corona, called it "flu-like viral illness." Who knows what it was - the timeline was right for it to have been COVID-19.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:20 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
My sister I baltimore was so sick for 2 weeks. Flu test was negative. Dr ended up giving her tamiflu anyways because it looked so much like it.
But if everyone in Baltimore was getting it wouldn’t ppl have ended up in the hospital?

We live in Baltimore. The Bnos production was just a lot of really sick girls trying their hardest to do their best. I called it the “Baltovirus” at the time. But no one had fever. It was the strangest thing. I myself had a sinus infection and bronchitis at the same time around then also. No one had flu symptoms. It was a really strange thing.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:22 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
We live in Baltimore. The Bnos production was just a lot of really sick girls trying their hardest to do their best. I called it the “Baltovirus” at the time. But no one had fever. It was the strangest thing. I myself had a sinus infection and bronchitis at the same time around then also. No one had flu symptoms. It was a really strange thing.

Nasal / sinus wouldn’t have been it.

Does the Baltimore frum community have cases?

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:29 pm
That is relatively doubtful because it would double almost every day since then, which means it would have reached millions within one month and more people would have been hospitalized, especially elderly and those with underlying conditions. There are very many grandparents in Lakewood.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:50 pm
No, it's impossible from an epidemiological standpoint.

Simple1

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:54 pm
A few years ago my daughter had terrible flu like symptoms for a lot of days and tested negative for the flu. They did several tests because they were worried- and it ended up she had something called the adeno virus. Maybe this was something siimilar.

Simple1

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:57 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:

I heard that's because there are many strains. I used to get colds constantly. Now in my 40s I dont. I wonder if that's because I caught all of them and developed immunity.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 2:02 pm
Dr. Shanik just issued a statement that all schools and preschools need to close immediately, so I highly doubt he said all flu in Dec/Jan were COVID.

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 2:48 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
2. That’s not necessarily true. There were very few cases of reinfection in China, they believe those who did get it twice are the exception and not the rule.

I'm pretty certain they killed the people before they could get reinfected.😉 Try not to get your info from China per se

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 3:17 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
I'm pretty certain they killed the people before they could get reinfected.😉 Try not to get your info from China per se

Ok, so no info from China. Fine. Is clothing ok? Mushrooms? Paper goods?

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 3:20 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
My brother told me that Dr. Shanik of Lakewood said that the flu that was going around in December and January was probably Corona. !

He can think that and he might or might not be right. How would anyone verify such a thing at this point? It shouldn't change anything about the way we are isolating ourselves for now.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics