Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Help! Where can order INEXPENSIVE books? Desperate!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Elfrida

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 1:42 pm
If you are buying a new kindle (as opposed to second hand) you can get them with or without 'special offers'. Those special offers are actually adverts for the latest popular books. They show up as a screen saver when the kindle is not in use, and sometimes as a banner advert at the bottom of the home page.

Without accessing the internet those offers cannot update, and eventually it will revert to a neutral screensaver. I still feel it is worth paying the extra to get one without these special offers. I found them very irritating, and not always appropriate. I think the price difference is about $10.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 2:32 pm
Don't tell anyone this, and you do not have permission to read this if you work for amazon, but
Hidden: 

you can delete the ads manually.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 2:33 pm
Also, you can always pay to remove the special offers, even if you buy your kindle secondhand.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 2:40 pm
A kindle is an investment, but its worth it. I recently spent less than $100 on a kindle and cover. I've already downloaded over 200 free books onto it.

rikki 1

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 5:43 pm
I don't know where you live but Closeout Connections sells cheap Jewish books.

bbhem5

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 6:26 pm
Thank you all so much!!!!

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 10:06 pm
eBay usually has a lot of lots - you can often get from schools or former teachers so they're somewhat screened for quality though you'll have to judge appropriateness for your own standards. They'll be called things like "huge lot of grade 4 paperbacks" or often you can search by author "lot of Beverly Clearly books" Usually cheaper per book than ordering separately.
Hope that helps.

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 10:07 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Don't tell anyone this, and you do not have permission to read this if you work for amazon, but
Hidden: 

you can delete the ads manually.

Instructions please

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 10:13 pm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-o.....eb-ED

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 10:17 pm
seeker wrote:
Instructions please

I think this still works
Hidden: 

https://www.geek.com/gadgets/how-to-remove-ads-from-your-ad-supported-kindle-1451553/

And I've heard of Amazon customer support removing it for some people when they asked them to do it for a child's Kindle, but that's up to them.

kenz

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 3:26 am
There’s a site called kidsbooks.com that has very discounted books and quite a decent selection. Worth checking out

Tzippy323

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:03 am
I know that several people have recommended thrift books. I use them frequently, and not only is there free shipping, you get points that add up very quickly and get free books.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 8:36 am
I think the libraries ought to open for pick up of reserved books only - everyone wearing masks and gloves.

Kids are home - important that they read!

Everyone please email your city and state representatives to open libraries for "take-out".

I was told to email the mayor as he calls the shots, which I did (De Blasio).

Also emailed Felder and Eichenstein.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 11:26 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
A kindle is an investment, but its worth it. I recently spent less than $100 on a kindle and cover. I've already downloaded over 200 free books onto it.

I do appreciate the better features in the newer Kindles, and I would recommend them to those who can afford it, but the Kindles I linked earlier (one of which is no longer available) were priced at about as much as 2-3 new books, or about 6 used ones. If your kids are heavy readers, it pays for itself pretty quickly.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 5:50 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Thriftbooks.com has had a number of Jewish books last time I checked, for pretty cheap.

How can I find the Jewish kids books on their site?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 5:57 pm
You can search by author or title.

thriver

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 5:59 pm
I just ordered books from eBay. Found this really nice clean mystery series Trixie Belden. By the time the books got to us, they were fine to be handled. I just had to wear gloves to handle the box. Anyway, you can get old (clean) sets of series for cheap over eBay.

Happy reading!

1ofbillions

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:14 pm
thriver wrote:
I just ordered books from eBay. Found this really nice clean mystery series Trixie Belden. By the time the books got to us, they were fine to be handled. I just had to wear gloves to handle the box. Anyway, you can get old (clean) sets of series for cheap over eBay.

Happy reading!

Trixie Belden is awesome!! Your post brought back such awesome childhood memories.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:16 pm
Trixie Belden is also available to read on kindles. I'm actually in the middle of one Cool

thriver

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:59 pm
We just discovered Trixie Belden and we are obsessed! For all those readers out there, I highly recommend. My big kids are enjoying reading them and I’ve been reading them out loud to my younger ones and even my five year old is enjoying and following the story!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics