Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Its before Pesach and women are paying cleaning and asking t
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 12:29 am
Im shocked! Its before Pesach and women are paying cleaning ladies and asking them to leave because they dont want to be around strangers.

I thought that the first person who told me this is off her rocker. I thought no frum woman will give up her cleaning lady before Pesach, even for the health of her family. I thought wrong.

polka dots

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 12:39 am
There are two factors involved.
A- maybe your cleaning lady is so desperate for money that even though she or someone in her family is sick she won’t tell you and work anyway. And bring in germs.
B- if Chas vesholom your house has germs she shouldn’t pick it up and also she shouldn’t pick take it to other homes that she works at.

And another reason, if someone else’s house where she works had someone infected you don’t want her bringing it to you.
All these point aside, I still had my cleaning help today

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 12:53 am
I am in my 9th month this week. I have two preschoolers whose school was cancelled.

I told my regular housecleaner not to come. There is ZERO point in quarantining if you let your cleaning help come via bus/train etc. If you're gonna do this, do it right.

I think people are being really stupid about what isolating means. They just don't get it.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 1:00 am
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c......html

asmileaday

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 1:45 am
Op I can't figure out from your Op if you're upset about people paying and then not having their help come? Or are you impressed that people are giving up their help for the safety of all?

I asked my cleaning help not to come otherwise it defeats the point of quarantine. I have no idea where she was and if she's currently keeping distancing guidelines.

I'm sure she can use the money but I'm not paying her for not coming. I can't work now and I'm not getting paid either. That's just the reality now.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 2:04 am
I paid the cleaners who do my weekly clean for this week and next week, but asked them not to come. I won't be using them until after the restrictions lift.

Our Pesach seders will also be a lot smaller this year. We usually host DH's entire extended family. Now that's canceled and we will only be feeding our family.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 2:47 am
I think if you are still getting a regular salary, and you have a regular cleaning lady, then you should pay her and tell her not to come. That's just fair.

If on the other hand you are no longer being paid, then obviously you can't pay your cleaning lady.

Definitely do NOT tell her to come!!! That is idiotic in these times.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:11 am
If DH is still working and coming in contact with many on the way there and back, and while there (scared of losing his job), am I helping the situation if I dont let my cleaning lady in?

chanchy123

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If DH is still working and coming in contact with many on the way there and back, and while there (scared of losing his job), am I helping the situation if I dont let my cleaning lady in?

Do you want your DH to infect your cleaning lady and potentially her family???

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:34 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Do you want your DH to infect your cleaning lady and potentially her family???

How would DH be infecting her, more than she infecting us, if she cleans in many homes?

essie14

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 6:05 am
This whole social distancing is worth nothing if you let people into your house. Of course I told my cleaning lady not to come. I have no idea what other houses she has been in, buses, stores, etc.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 6:08 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I am in my 9th month this week. I have two preschoolers whose school was cancelled.

I told my regular housecleaner not to come. There is ZERO point in quarantining if you let your cleaning help come via bus/train etc. If you're gonna do this, do it right.

I think people are being really stupid about what isolating means. They just don't get it.

B'sha'a tova!

Good for you, for sacrificing your cleaning help. It's just not worth the risk, either to you or her.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 6:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How would DH be infecting her, more than she infecting us, if she cleans in many homes?

Could happen either way. They're exposed to two completely different sets of people.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 7:13 am
I have a full time housekeeper and told her not to come since this past Monday.
Like so many other posters I have toddlers at home and making Pesach.
It’s going to be hard, but health is more important than a clean house. I think.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 9:08 am
I think that if people can afford to pay, that would be great. I think that the cleaning help also understands that their employers are going to be strapped and either the employers can't pay, or will not continue paying for the entire duration.. The main thing is that the communication be warm and dignified.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 9:39 am
I know several ppl who have really full time help, that’s they have had a while, and they agreed to move in. (Two are medical professionals and another a lawyer that has to work from home...).

So if you’re truly having someone 35+ hours a week maybe offer them that option.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 9:39 am
I know several ppl who have really full time help, that’s they have had a while, and they agreed to move in. (Two are medical professionals and another a lawyer that has to work from home...).

So if you’re truly having someone 35+ hours a week maybe offer them that option.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 9:53 am
I know I’m going to get screamed at

My cleaning lady is still coming 2x a week

I’m all alone all day
DH is at work all day.
No one else
I’m willing to risk it as long as she is

We don’t stay in the same room
Everything is getting wiped down

The kids were suppose to come
BUT.....
I would have had guests
BUT....

Oh well Hashem has better plans

saralem

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 10:03 am
please don't confuse social distancing and isolation. If you are working from home, and still going to the supermarket, or pharmacy, you are not quarantined--you are just social distancing. I think we need to take precautions, but sensibly. Admittedly, I'm OOT. In NY, it may make more sense to actually self-isolate due to the huge jump in cases of coronavirus in the past 2 days. I do have painters in my house right now, and plan to have my cleaning lady when they are all done!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 10:23 am
If you have a full time or near full time cleaning person who you consider trustworthy, I think it may be reasonable to continue to keep them as long as they agree not to clean for others and you are comfortable with the level of precaution they are taking in their own free time. My weekly cleaners and I don't have that kind of relationship, and I can't expect them to work for me exclusively when I only need them for 1-2 hours per week. Having them for that one weekly clean, while they continue to clean for other clients, would be too much risk for me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics